Busan, South Korea

chubbypiggy

We will be visiting Busan (Princess cruise) on May 2, 2018 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. There are 4 of us, and we would like to DIY.

1. Any suggestions on what must do/see?

2. Any ATM in the cruise terminal or nearby?

3. Anyone taken the Loop bus before? See link below.

4. If so, how do you like it?

5. Which stop is the closest to the cruise terminal?

http://www.citytourbusan.com/en2/02course/01.php

Thank you in advance for any assistance.:)

When we had a stop at Busan in 2015, there was a complimentary shuttle bus that transported passengers to town. We just walked around on our own, visiting the fish market and the department store. There were enough for us to spend a few hours there.

We went to Busan but that day there was neither a HOHO/Loop bus nor a shuttle to the centre. There were local folks helping pax with shared taxis to the Fish Market which was fairly central. From there we explored on foot before taking another taxi back to the ship.

As not everyone who has been to Busan will regularly check new posts the SEARCH THIS FORUM facility is your best bet. Simply insert the word BUSAN and read the results for info which will answer your questions. This is an example:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846797&highlight=busan+loop+bus

Edited by edinburgher
typo

And if you have not already done so, check the DESTINATIONS section on cruisecritic for port info re ATM's etc. although not all ports are listed.

And do you know there are also websites such as "whatsinport" which often have great info and maps on an enormous number of ports around the world? They are a great resource.

I just now checked for Busan and as there is lots there it would be worthwhile checking it yourself.

And if you have not already done so, check the DESTINATIONS section on cruisecritic for port info re ATM's etc. although not all ports are listed.

And do you know there are also websites such as "whatsinport" which often have great info and maps on an enormous number of ports around the world? They are a great resource.

I just now checked for Busan and as there is lots there it would be worthwhile checking it yourself.

Thank you for your information and suggestions.:)

• 4 weeks later...

We just left Busan and heading in, we had zero expectations. Three days before the port I booked a tour, and having cruised a lot, I was STUNNED that this city actually was once of the best excursions I have ever been on. We had a private van, and avoided the herds. We went to the oldest mountain temple in Busan with gorgeous views. We hiked along the coast to the wide sandy beach in the city. We went out to a far island via van to beautiful cliffs and a see-through walking bridge (like in Jasper, Grand Canyon). We went to this hill side old village that reminded me of Santorilli (sp?). It was newly renovated for tourists and it was amazing to walk the narrow valleys and take part in all of the photo-ops. We then went to the fish market, and the international market for shopping. It was one after another show stopping stops. Probably my favourite port so far in Asia. Quite the surprise! Message me if you want further details etc.

We will be there on a Sunday.

We were thinking of taking the ship shuttle and wanted to confirm --- drop off is by Busan train station or closer to Jagalchi market and BIFF square?

Did you do the park/tower as a DIY? Did you go via taxi from the drop off?

Edited by HiMagicFan
Busan Tower/park

We just left Busan and heading in, we had zero expectations. Three days before the port I booked a tour, and having cruised a lot, I was STUNNED that this city actually was once of the best excursions I have ever been on. We had a private van, and avoided the herds. We went to the oldest mountain temple in Busan with gorgeous views. We hiked along the coast to the wide sandy beach in the city. We went out to a far island via van to beautiful cliffs and a see-through walking bridge (like in Jasper, Grand Canyon). We went to this hill side old village that reminded me of Santorilli (sp?). It was newly renovated for tourists and it was amazing to walk the narrow valleys and take part in all of the photo-ops. We then went to the fish market, and the international market for shopping. It was one after another show stopping stops. Probably my favourite port so far in Asia. Quite the surprise! Message me if you want further details etc.

This tour sounds amazing and just what we’re looking for! Can you share any more information?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Will you please give me contact info for the tour operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to know the tour operator please.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there a couple years ago and cant' remember what guide we used but we went to the UN Cemetary there. It was one of the most beautiful cemetaries. As a Canadian it was wonderful to go visit the graves of our soldiers. If you are American it might not mean as much as your soldiers were brought back to the US.

The other site that is well remembered is the market.

Sarah

which tour company did you use?

• 3 weeks later...

How much time did you have in Busan? Will be in Busan this July and we will only be in port from 2:30pm - 8:30pm. Would that be enough time to go visit all the sites you mentioned and enough time to get back into the ship? How was immigration, was it hassle-free?

we will only be in port from 2:30pm - 8:30pm. Would that be enough time to go visit all the sites you mentioned and enough time to get back into the ship? How was immigration, was it hassle-free?

I would definitely message rodim to get more details because those places to visit sound great but when we were there this past April from 2p to 8p, it didn't seem like a lot of time so we didn't go on a tour.

We used the ship shuttle ($5-10) and got dropped in town near Gukje Intl Market and Yongdusan Park and wandered around BIFF and the Ja-Gal-Chi Fish Market area. The last shuttle was at 7p back to the ship and this totally felt like we didn't have enough time to wander, eat and shop.

a) guestimate about an 1/2 hour to an hour for immigration (at least) unless you are going on a ship tour (lines were somewhat fast though). This would bring you to 3:30p.

b) then consider that the ship wants you on board about at least 1/2 hour before departure so that would be 8:00p.

This gives you 4.5 hours to get to where you want to go and return plus time there. So enough time to visit all those sites - probably not unless he went on a tour and can share that with you.

As Busan is a stop almost always done by Princess - I may consider messaging rodim as well because after a while there is only so much you can see in the drop off area.

Edited by HiMagicFan
sorry - edited because used the wrong poster name

we went to the UN Cemetary there. It was one of the most beautiful cemetaries. As a Canadian it was wonderful to go visit the graves of our soldiers. If you are American it might not mean as much as your soldiers were brought back to the US.

While the US had the most casualties in the Korean Conflict, most of the dead were brought back to the US.

There are some 30 US servicemen who are still buried in the UN Memorial Cemetary in Busan.

Check out tours by locals.. this tour is under shore excursions, busan day tour including haedong yonggungsa temple. I emailed Ken the guide and he answered right back. He will meet you at cruise ship port and you can change anything. Hope this helps... have a great trip! Hope you’ll report back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out tours by locals.. this tour is under shore excursions, busan day tour including haedong yonggungsa temple. I emailed Ken the guide and he answered right back. He will meet you at cruise ship port and you can change anything. Hope this helps... have a great trip! Hope you’ll report back.

I thought that the tours by locals were primarily walking tours. Are there any that have a van to take you outside the city center as well?

Edited by chiapet

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Busan in Spring 2018 and was not expecting to like this port as much as we did. I echo another posters comment that the UN Cemetary was worth a visit as I am Canadian as well. The sights are quite far apart but the city is very modern. I highly recommend a tour just to get around. The fish market was amazing where you could pick your seafood and have it cooked upstairs. From tank to table. We had a private tour with Korea Private Tours. KoreaPrivateTours@happimize.com

• 1 month later...