Pacific Eden leaving P&O fleet

Always thought the Jewel being the oldest would be the next to go.

Done two cruises on the Eden and have what will now be the last Melb to Melb booked for 31st March to the Islands depart in 3 weeks. The Eden and Aria are different to the larger ships in that they are very small and boutique like, such a different vibe when onboard. More grown up!

Perhaps not suited to Australian conditions not having fridges in ocean view and interior cabins and the air conditioning always seemed to struggle in the public areas, especially the Pantry in the hot conditions in the Pacific. Having showers over baths in most cabins was a problem for some of the less agile passengers.

The retractable roof would also limit them to putting in a waterslide or other new infrastructure on the pool deck. I believe they did paint the stars on the bow although leaving her hull black/navy.

If she goes in April 2019 and the Golden doesn't change over till May 2020 then P&O will be a ship short for a year!!

Sorry to see her go - even with her short comings there were some things I loved about her. Such a different experience to larger ships. My son much preferred her to others. :(

Always thought the Jewel being the oldest would be the next to go.

Most of the smaller cruise lines would far prefer an Eden over a Jewel just on size, let alone condition. Although wasn't there a rumour about turning Jewel into a Comedy Channel ship?

Perhaps the Comedy Channel was always after Eden and the rumour mills got their wires crossed.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

3 cruises on eden,2 x7 nighters out of cairns to PNG,and a sydney to melbourne 1 way

.last cruise in balcony,with new carpet.i Luv the intimate rooms for live music,the italian restaurant

and sitting on a sun lounge with cool music they play on the rear pool deck,alas no more.ce la vie .eden is .much nicer than the pacific jewel.

The Eden and Aria are different to the larger ships in that they are very small and boutique like, such a different vibe when onboard. More grown up!

Sorry to see her go - even with her short comings there were some things I loved about her. Such a different experience to larger ships. My son much preferred her to others. :(

Totally agree with these sentiments.

Reportedly going to start up a new line; not ready to announce yet.

Wonder if it's a similar arrangement to Pacific Sun.

As for Jewel and Eden, it all comes down to what the buyer wants. If the buyer wants a smaller ship, and not interested in the larger, than that's what goes. With Golden's arrival, capacity will grow a lot so makes sense to downsize.

I don't think there was that much spent on her or the Aria, apart from the normal refurb of public areas and the name change.

They had to spend a lot, as they had been run down before departing HAL.

That said, a bit over 3 years is a reasonable time to hold on. Some ships have been turned over even quicker.

Pacific Eden is heading for "Cruise & Maritime Voyages" (The same cruise line that took Pacific Pearl).

Will be back in Australia according to this article:

http://cruise-adviser.com/cmv-add-sixth-ship-global-fleet/

Looks like Astor will be going.

Interesting, I did wonder about if the Eden would follow the Pearl (tends to happen).

Might have to sneak in a farewell cruise before she goes. I was on her inaugural cruise from Perth. Am currently sitting in Skywalkers on Diamond Princess doing a farewell to her as not sure if she’ll be back in Oz. Later this year I’ll be doing an hello to Majestic and a farewell to Golden . If ships keep changing around I’ll be dizzy just saying hello and goodbye. Also did farewell Dawn Princess and hello to Pacific Explorer [emoji51]( and that’s just Princess and P&O )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They had to spend a lot, as they had been run down before departing HAL.

That said, a bit over 3 years is a reasonable time to hold on. Some ships have been turned over even quicker.

They even kept the HAL colouring - dark blue hulls. Could not afford the white paint I suppose. Or P&O knew the stay here was temporary.:rolleyes: