Cruising after hip replacement surgery

misty57

DH is looking at a hip replacement possibly in November. He needs both done but we don't know if he'll have a bilateral done or just one for now. We have a 7 night cruise booked at the end of February. Final payment is due end of November so we really won't know how he is going to be by that time. He thinks he'll be able to travel without problems but I'm concerned about the flight and about insurance eligibility for the trip. I think we should cancel now ( we have the dreaded non refundable deposit too!) but he's not convinced. Has anyone had experience with this, or insight as to the travel medical insurance eligibility? We have the cruise line insurance but not the medical travel insurance yet. I'm thinking it will not be possible since we already know about his impending surgery. I know the surgeon will have something to say about his going, but I already have my vacation time reserved and want to cancel that as soon as we decide what to do. "Fun times:( "

DH is looking at a hip replacement possibly in November. He needs both done but we don't know if he'll have a bilateral done or just one for now. We have a 7 night cruise booked at the end of February. Final payment is due end of November so we really won't know how he is going to be by that time. He thinks he'll be able to travel without problems but I'm concerned about the flight and about insurance eligibility for the trip. I think we should cancel now ( we have the dreaded non refundable deposit too!) but he's not convinced. Has anyone had experience with this, or insight as to the travel medical insurance eligibility? We have the cruise line insurance but not the medical travel insurance yet. I'm thinking it will not be possible since we already know about his impending surgery. I know the surgeon will have something to say about his going, but I already have my vacation time reserved and want to cancel that as soon as we decide what to do. "Fun times:( "

I think the only way you could safely get the travel/medical coverage now would be IF the surgeon is willing to write (I would NOT risk a verbal statement now) that if your husband has that surgery (one or both hips, whichever you decide for this purpose) on <date>, he *should* be able to take that cruise on <date>.

My guess, but it's only a guess, is that surgery recoveries are too variable, and the surgeon would not be willing to write that.

But talk with the surgeon, and explain why you'd need such a letter. Perhaps he would feel comfortable enough about the prognosis for recovery.

We had something similar, but not quite the same.

DH was recovering from a medical emergency that caused us to cancel a cruise less than 2 weeks before we were to leave home. Yes, we had insurance, and we got fully reimbursed, but we were SO sorry to have missed that cruise!

Anyway, a few weeks later, after some of the more dramatic medical situations were dealt with, we made plans for another trip.

I called Steve (at www.TripInsuranceStore.com ) to start the coverage for the deposit for the new trip...

... and Steve (thank goodness) started to process the policy, and then he said something like, "How is <DH's name>? Is he fully recovered now?"

Me: "No, but the worst of the emergency is over, and he WILL be able to travel in <month>."

Steve: "He needs to be fit to travel *today* if today is when you start the coverage."

Me: "Uh oh...."

So we cancelled that trip, and got our deposit back.

A few *months* later, his doctor said he "was fit to travel now", so we asked the doctor to write a letter, right then and there, stating that DH was fit to travel as of <date>.

We went home and started planning another vacation, made a deposit, called Steve (read him the letter), and also started the travel insurance.

We had a great vacation, and DH has not had another medical problem that interfered with travel since.

(Alas, a year later, *I* landed in hospital overseas totally unexpectedly. All we can say is that Travel Insured pays their claims without any nonsense!)

GC

Thank you for the reply. We hope to find out more in the coming week, but I'll definitely use the travel insurance you mentioned. I guess I really have until final payment date to decide about canceling, but I'm leaning toward that myself:loudcry:.

Thank you for the reply. We hope to find out more in the coming week, but I'll definitely use the travel insurance you mentioned. I guess I really have until final payment date to decide about canceling, but I'm leaning toward that myself:loudcry:.

And we hope all goes well with the surgery!

It's obviously "safer" to cancel before more money is at risk.

If you call TripInsuranceStore, make sure you discuss all of *your* situation with them. TI has more than one type of policy.

Also, after speaking with you, they may recommend something else entirely.

But getting the insurance started within the 14-20 day "window" after *first* payment/deposit on requires getting insurance on the deposit, not the full cost to be paid later.

Usually the coverage goes in bumps of $500 at first, and as costs go up, in $1k intervals.

Then one adds (also within that window) each time more payment is made, which might not be until final payment. But one might get air tickets in the meantime, etc., or make tour arrangements, etc.

Good luck!

GC

• 1 month later...

Update: DH is scheduled for one replacement (yay) in early November. His surgeon said he should be fine to travel in February, so I contacted the insurance store and we were able to get the ONE policy that offers the PEC waiver if taken within 20 days of final payment. The coverage is actually better than the cruise line vacation protection plan so I was able to remove that fee as we haven't paid any more than the deposits. GeezerCouple thank you so much for your information. I wouldn't have known to connect with the company you suggested. I told DH that we will have the policy in place ASAP next time! :)

Update: DH is scheduled for one replacement (yay) in early November. His surgeon said he should be fine to travel in February, so I contacted the insurance store and we were able to get the ONE policy that offers the PEC waiver if taken within 20 days of final payment. The coverage is actually better than the cruise line vacation protection plan so I was able to remove that fee as we haven't paid any more than the deposits. GeezerCouple thank you so much for your information. I wouldn't have known to connect with the company you suggested. I told DH that we will have the policy in place ASAP next time! :)

Did you happen to get a note to that effect from the surgeon? Obviously not "promising", but simply what you said... that he should be fine to travel in February after an operation on <date>?

That would be helpful IF there is a claim, which we hope won't be necessary.

NOTE: IF this is the company and policy I'm familiar with, then the PEC waiver *requires* the policy be taken out within 24 hours of final payment.

That 20 day deadline is from "first payment/deposit".

Please double check!

Good luck!

GC

Did you happen to get a note to that effect from the surgeon? Obviously not "promising", but simply what you said... that he should be fine to travel in February after an operation on <date>?

That would be helpful IF there is a claim, which we hope won't be necessary.

NOTE: IF this is the company and policy I'm familiar with, then the PEC waiver *requires* the policy be taken out within 24 hours of final payment.

That 20 day deadline is from "first payment/deposit".

Please double check!

Good luck!

GC

You’re right, it’s related to final payment though since we are way past the first deposit date. It’s CSA freestyle and it’s the only one that gave us that window. We spoke with Kim and she said if it’s in his medical record then we’re good. I’ll make sure I have a written note in hand though. So many hoops to jump through between this and FMLA, of course we hope we don’t need to make a claim but can’t see leaving home without it in place. Thanks again for your help!

You’re right, it’s related to final payment though since we are way past the first deposit date. It’s CSA freestyle and it’s the only one that gave us that window. We spoke with Kim and she said if it’s in his medical record then we’re good. I’ll make sure I have a written note in hand though. So many hoops to jump through between this and FMLA, of course we hope we don’t need to make a claim but can’t see leaving home without it in place. Thanks again for your help!

Just to double check... you had written:

"... we were able to get the ONE policy that offers the PEC waiver if taken within 20 days of final payment..."

[emphasis added]

I don't want to drag this on, but I do want to be sure that this wasn't what you meant.

OR... it would be great if there were to be a different insurer/policy that did actually allow this within 20 days of final payment... but I'm not sure there is such a policy.

I think CSA requires that insurance to be started within 24 *hours* of final payment.

Assuming it is all as you want it, it's great that you *were* able to get a policy that works for you, and also that the surgeon does think that you'll be able to go, as that's the best outcome.

I've traveled with some physical difficulties (a dreadfully painful torn rotator cuff) and despite the pain, I'd much rather have been on that cruise than had to stay home. DH was a saint in helping me with almost everything, but he, too, would rather have been on that cruise rather than staying home!

Hope all goes very well with the actual surgery in a few months!

GC

Just to double check... you had written:

"... we were able to get the ONE policy that offers the PEC waiver if taken within 20 days of final payment..."

[emphasis added]

I don't want to drag this on, but I do want to be sure that this wasn't what you meant.

OR... it would be great if there were to be a different insurer/policy that did actually allow this within 20 days of final payment... but I'm not sure there is such a policy.

I think CSA requires that insurance to be started within 24 *hours* of final payment.

Assuming it is all as you want it, it's great that you *were* able to get a policy that works for you, and also that the surgeon does think that you'll be able to go, as that's the best outcome.

I've traveled with some physical difficulties (a dreadfully painful torn rotator cuff) and despite the pain, I'd much rather have been on that cruise than had to stay home. DH was a saint in helping me with almost everything, but he, too, would rather have been on that cruise rather than staying home!

Hope all goes very well with the actual surgery in a few months!

GC

I looked at so many policies that they are all muddled up in my head:o

But yes it is the one at least within 24 hours of final payment. Bottom line is we have the coverage with the waiver. Learn something new all the time.

• 1 month later...

When you have hip surgery you are usually up with a walker the same day. Typically at least when I had a hip surgery 5+ years ago, the "standard" rehabilitation time" for a hip surgery was 6 weeks, but it might be less now. Honestly, I would give it 10 weeks before a cruise. You won't be dancing around then, but you should be walking fine, maybe with a cane.

When you have hip surgery you are usually up with a walker the same day. Typically at least when I had a hip surgery 5+ years ago, the "standard" rehabilitation time" for a hip surgery was 6 weeks, but it might be less now. Honestly, I would give it 10 weeks before a cruise. You won't be dancing around then, but you should be walking fine, maybe with a cane.

It'll be from the first week in Nov to the last day of Feb so he should be ok if all goes well. We have until the end of Nov before final payment. DH just wants the pain gone, and will not be taking any crazy risks with activities. We'll be in the solarium most of the time but hope he can get some pain free walking in:)

You shouldn't have pain for more than a week or two, mainly from the incision. If you still have pain when your cruise payment is due, then you might want to rethink it because it means other problems, but in all likelihood, everything will be fine.

• 1 month later...

I quit reading after a few of these replies, but here is my take. I have had two hip replacements both on the same hip. A full and a "revision" after 11 years. After the first full hip replacement I would not have enjoyed a cruise that close to the surgery. The second surgery the cruise would have been iffy at best for me. That said, everybody heals at a different pace and each surgery cause is different. I think my first was MUCH MORE COMPLICATED then is normal. Usually a hip replacement surgery is in the hour to hour an a half range (well then anyway) mine was a little over six hours and I had a top notch world renown surgeon. After my second surgery I have been good to go. In fact I just had a an examination because of some pain and I am assured that the hip is in great shape and I am experiencing some muscle problems. All I can really say is good luck because anyone who tells you that yes he will be good to go, doesn't really know for sure. He should be good, he could be good but nobody really knows for sure. Without the insurance I wouldn't chance it. I hope this helps. MORE THEN THAT I WISH HIM WELL!! Been there done that and glad that I did. Once he is fully healed he will think I wish I had this done sooner.

We're hoping for the best of course, but if he's having problems close to final payment we will just forfeit our deposit and plan for next year. I don't want to,take any chances and he won't either. We hear from so many people that they have done so well after surgery, but even the surgeon doesn't know for sure what he will find when he gets in there. :eek: