AMA v Avalon

marty's mom

Planning a Paris Normandy cruise for 2019

we sailed Amadeus 2 years ago and loved them

However for 2019 their Normandy tour does not do the beaches etc.

So we've narrowed it down to Avalon and AMA. Everything about them: pricing, inclusions, excursions seem similar.

We'll do air and pre and post cruise on our own using points!

Beer and wine is fine, don't need more alcohol! we typcially don't go back to the ship for lunch if we're out and about. ie in between tours, like to find out of the way places to eat

also debating between early may or september

Is there anything that wou sway us one way or the other? I'd love to hear from those that have sailed both.

thanks

I have sailed both. I would say you can’t go wrong with either. The tours with both are very well run. Ama has the Chef’s Table and we thought the food a tad bit better BUT now I’m reading that Avalon is relaxing their dining times. (Look for article posted) and more 2 top tables and different venues for dining. You’d have to decide for you personally if this is a big deal.

Also AMA offers cabins with real balconies while Avalon offers the bed facing the sliding glass doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed both. I would say you can’t go wrong with either. The tours with both are very well run. Ama has the Chef’s Table and we thought the food a tad bit better BUT now I’m reading that Avalon is relaxing their dining times. (Look for article posted) and more 2 top tables and different venues for dining. You’d have to decide for you personally if this is a big deal.

Also AMA offers cabins with real balconies while Avalon offers the bed facing the sliding glass doors.

We did the Paris to Normandy and return on the Ama Legro in 2013. It was an excellent trip. Great food and French wines and very knowledgeable guides at every stop.

Highlights were Giverny for Monet’s home and gardens, Honfleur, Rouen and the Normandy beaches and American Cemetery.

253b4b946bfdba452a60547ebd45ad6f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have travelled with both, and, quite honestly, there are more similarities than differences. Food is subjective and quite dependant on the chef and his crew. One of the biggest details (IMHO) is the cruise director - and you have no control over that.

We travel Aquarium class (ie: lowest category) so the difference between "real" vs "French" balcony isn't an issue for us. We actually did this itinerary with Avalon last September, and really enjoyed it. We had sailed this river before a number of years ago with Uniworld - and liked the fact that there were "options" at most stops so it wasn't the exact same cruise. The only place we didn't have an option was in Rouen, but we did our own thing there (went to see the Joan of Arc museum instead of the included walking tour...).

I was impressed that there were options for the day at the beaches. One group went to the US beaches and cemetery - and another group visited the Canadian/British sites. A third group (I joined this one - DH went to the Canadian beach/cemetery) went to Bayeux to see the tapestry.

Avalon has a "meeting place" where everyone waits until the afternoon, at which point you board the boat. The hotel was very close to the Eiffel tower, so you could visit that while waiting to board.

My personal preference for time is September - I have travelled to Paris a few times, and my fall visits had good weather (while my summer ones did not!!). Just personal preference, however --> you need to decide what works for you.

Hope this helps.

Fran

I have not sailed AMA but have sailed twice on Avalon. We thoroughly enjoyed both of our cruises. One cruise was an older boat with the typical French balcony, and the other with the panorama suite with the bed facing the window. Really love that set up. If you can afford it I highly recommend it. We were in Paris immediately after the bombing and shooting disaster in November 2015, and everything was closed due to the response to the terrorist event. I must say the weather in Paris was really wonderful and for our trip that started in Prague and ended up on the Moselle where we spent a huge cab fee to get to Metz where we rented a car for a few days before dropping the car in Versailles and taking the train to downtown Paris.

We visited Normandy almost a decade ago on an ocean cruise in late November and weather was cool but perfect. The American Cemetery is breath taking. There is so much to see in the area, you really should take a trip that can include some time driving in the area. Mont St. Michel is spectacular where Normandy and Brittany meet. Truly worth at least a day trip. A dream of mine would be to overnight at one of the quaint hotels on the rock.

The prices late in the season were much better for the cruise and the hotels. I find that generally on these kinds of trips that I prefer cool weather where I can put on more clothing versus burning up in the heat and the crowds in summer at the the cities in Europe. Not to mention that even 5 star hotels in Europe often don’t have air conditioning and that it can be a challenge for those of us who can’t live without it. We did a trip in 2008 where we picked up a car in Sindelfingan Germany (outside of Stuttgart) and we drove it for 15 days before shipping it home to be re-delivered here in the USA a month or two later. Great trip. However, I remember being kept awake one night in Lautrenbrunner Switzerland because the goats and cows outside our lodge were constantly moving and their goat and cowbells tinkled all night..... It was a great trip, and I specifically sought out hotels for A/C and failed about 50% of the time to find any. Since we were driving the countryside and mountain drives this is somewhat to be expected, but still something to consider. Love late fall in Europe.

JC

thank you all so much

I just added Uniworld to the mix! Avalon's itinerary had a day in paris after embarkation. Since I've been to paris and plan to be there pre cruise I prefer a different stop along the way

so down to ama and now uniworld! their itineraries are the same.

when you ad gratities to ama and subtract the 10% pre booking discount they wind up the same!

I am leaning towards Sept/Oct. I too would rather be cool vs hot/

thank you all so much

I just added Uniworld to the mix! Avalon's itinerary had a day in paris after embarkation. Since I've been to paris and plan to be there pre cruise I prefer a different stop along the way

so down to ama and now uniworld! their itineraries are the same.

when you ad gratities to ama and subtract the 10% pre booking discount they wind up the same!

I am leaning towards Sept/Oct. I too would rather be cool vs hot/

You can’t go wrong with either. I would check the square footage of the cabins.

SOShrink and I have just completed our separate reviews on Uniworld's Paris-Normandy itinerary. I loved their newest ship!

It's a great itinerary, and the 2nd time we've done it. We were able to not repeat anything we had done the first cruise.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Be cognizant of the fact that the space for those balconies has to come from somewhere: Your cabin! The ships can only be so wide to get through the locks so they're already maxed out in size. A 3 x10 balcony means you lose 30 square feet of living space out of your cabin. Is it worth it? Doubtful, when there's all sorts of outdoor space all over the ship. The Avalon cabins have a full wall of sliding glass doors to open up, with a rail that allows you to lean out a little, if you choose. Put a chair by the open doors and you're just as close to the river as you would be in a tiny balcony.

We leave in six weeks for our third Avalon in five years. Hope you have a great cruise!

Be cognizant of the fact that the space for those balconies has to come from somewhere: Your cabin! The ships can only be so wide to get through the locks so they're already maxed out in size. A 3 x10 balcony means you lose 30 square feet of living space out of your cabin. Is it worth it? Doubtful, when there's all sorts of outdoor space all over the ship. The Avalon cabins have a full wall of sliding glass doors to open up, with a rail that allows you to lean out a little, if you choose. Put a chair by the open doors and you're just as close to the river as you would be in a tiny balcony.

We leave in six weeks for our third Avalon in five years. Hope you have a great cruise!

Yeah, I think the panorama suites on Avalon are the best cabins that are not the large suites on these boats.

JC

Your point is true about some other river cruise lines, but AMA's dual-balcony cabins are 210 and 235 sq ft -- larger than the industry standard. Avalon's Panorama Suites (on Imagery II) are 200 sq ft. So the balcony on AMA doesn't reduce the size of your cabin, and you get to sit outside. Folks on the Celebrity forum are expressing reservations over the "Infinite Balcony" design on Edge [a copy of the Avalon design], specifically because even with the glass lowered you still have the cabin walls and ceiling enclosing you. I personally think both designs are valid, but cruisers who really want the fresh air experience will prefer the AMA dual-balcony.

Our documents for the trip Amsterdam to Budapest arrived today with luggage tags and many details.Room number etc from Avalon Expression.Leaving June 1st

We are both so excited! My husband has gone out to get a bottle of wine[emoji119][emoji119][emoji119]

Sitting right now preparing for lunch on nice comfy chair & love seat with our sliding window wide open and loving it. We looked at a Viking balcony on one walks back to the ship, and they aren’t that big. I’m thinking panorama is the way to go if we ever get back.

...also debating between early may or september...
My choice would be early May. Several hours more daylight, somewhat cooler which IMO is better for sightseeing, more flowers; negatively there is a slightly higher chance of rain. Either of the months you are considering are IMO much better than the middle of the summer with its hotter weather, bigger crowds and generally higher prices.

Highly recommend you check out the 2 Uniworld Paris & Normandy reviews that were just completed by ACWMOM & SOSHRINK, they made me feel like I was there. We did this trip w/ Uniworld in 2014 & are going again (also w/ Uniworld) in July. So excited that Uniworld now offers the option of an excursion to Mont St Michel!

wow, so much info!

I did read the ama vs avalon article and the uniworld reviews!

Definitely want the panorama/french balcony. I'm ok without the "real" balcony.

I ordered actual brochures from each to make it easier to compare side by side.

I think the sailing date is (ie day of week) will help us make a decision!

• 4 weeks later...

looks like it will be AMA. They are he only one that doesn't spend one of the entire cruise days in Paris. Having been there twice and staying pre cruise we didn't want to have Paris as a port day. Going to go to Normandy pre cruise for 2 days as well as there is so much to see. Looked at Avalon, Amadeus, Scenic, Uniworld, Croissi.

Thanks for all the input

SOShrink and I have just completed our separate reviews on Uniworld's Paris-Normandy itinerary. I loved their newest ship!

It's a great itinerary, and the 2nd time we've done it. We were able to not repeat anything we had done the first cruise.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Where do I find these reviews? I searched Uniworld river cruise reviews here on CC but did not see it.