Urgent info about Vancouver needed

Our Alaska cruise ends in Vancouver in two days. The ship docks early in the morning but our flight home isn’t until 11pm. We booked a hop-on-hop-off bus excursion that included storage of our luggage and an airport transfer. We were just informed the excursion was cancelled, so we are trying to figure out if there is a similar option available from another vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know about another vendor, but concider yourselves lucky. We have just returned yesterday night. We did HOHO precruise on Thursday, May 10th. The wait to board the HOHO bus/ trolley was over an hour long. Multiple buses were coming to Canada Place full with very few seats available to accommodate long ( and growing, and growing) line. Same lines we encountered on every stop we pass. As a result, once we finally boarded the bus, we did a full loop without getting off once to avoid standing in line again for an hour to reboard. We had a combination Park and City tour tickets. It was a very frustrating experience. HOHO staff was not friendly, some down right condescending. I read on this boards before that you can store luggage in port itself and pick it up latter in a day when ready to go to airport. If this is the case and you don't have mobility issues, you can easily enjoy Downtown area on foot. You can even walk from Canada Place all across town to False Creek ( straight line, downhill), board Aquabas or ferry for three minutes ride across to Granville market and spend few hours there. We did all of this on our second day in Vancouver in maybe five to six hours. Taxi from port to airport was $31 CAN dollars, the ride took about 30 min.

Our Alaska cruise ends in Vancouver in two days. The ship docks early in the morning but our flight home isn’t until 11pm. We booked a hop-on-hop-off bus excursion that included storage of our luggage and an airport transfer. We were just informed the excursion was cancelled, so we are trying to figure out if there is a similar option available from another vendor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a baggage service that operates at the pier and has options for leaving your luggage at the pier or transferring it to the airport where you can pick it up later on.

Directly above the terminal is the Pan Pacific Hotel. Many have reported success just going up stairs and leaving your bags with the bell hop. Number of high-end hotels within a block radius of the hotel. You should tip accordingly.

You are in the downtown core of Vancouver, lots to do within walking distance.

Also, if you are flying back to the US, you normally clear US customers in Vancouver before boarding your flight. If it is an 11:00 pm departure it likely leaves after US customers closes. If that is the case it will be out of an international gate and you will clear once you arrive state-site. That is usually the case for the red-eye flights to Atlanta and New York.

Also, if you are flying back to the US, you normally clear US customers in Vancouver before boarding your flight. If it is an 11:00 pm departure it likely leaves after US customers closes. If that is the case it will be out of an international gate and you will clear once you arrive state-site. That is usually the case for the red-eye flights to Atlanta and New York.

The only 11pm flight I see goes to Chicago.. if that is your flight, you will clear US immigration in Vancouver and arrive at a domestic term in Chicago. plan to be at the airport by 9 pm. ( leave city centre before 8:30.

The only 11pm flight I see goes to Chicago.. if that is your flight, you will clear US immigration in Vancouver and arrive at a domestic term in Chicago. plan to be at the airport by 9 pm. ( leave city centre before 8:30.

US boarder control at Vancouver International closes at 8:30 pm. A 11:00 pm departure is going to depart out of an international gate and you will clear US immigration on arrival in the US.

The US bound flights around that time today are Cathy Pacific to JFK at 10:55, American to Chicago at 11:00 and United to Chicago at 11:01. All three are assigned international departure gates on D concourse. US pre-clearance would be an E gate.

Edited by em-sk

US boarder control at Vancouver International closes at 8:30 pm. A 11:00 pm departure is going to depart out of an international gate and you will clear US immigration on arrival in the US.

The US bound flights around that time today are Cathy Pacific to JFK at 10:55, American to Chicago at 11:00 and United to Chicago at 11:01. All three are assigned international departure gates on D concourse. US pre-clearance would be an E gate.

I'm in the same boat and have an 11PM flight from Vancouver (to Chicago) after our cruise in July. Does that mean I won't need to arrive at YVR the recommended 3 hours early, since we won't be going through customers in Vancouver?

I'm in the same boat and have an 11PM flight from Vancouver (to Chicago) after our cruise in July. Does that mean I won't need to arrive at YVR the recommended 3 hours early, since we won't be going through customers in Vancouver?

I checked United Arrivals in Chicago and it seems you clear customs there.

90 minutes would be plenty of time. Check with United.

Yes, as, Earl Rosebery, stated, 90 minutes should be fine.

There are a few late night flights to Asia that depart around that time from the international gates, so there will likely be a line at security, but the terminal is going to feel fairly empty and it is nothing like mid-day which is the busy time for international departures.