What happens to Cairns Port now that Pacific Eden is retiring?

After moving to Cairns a year ago and loving that we could cruise from here without the added expense of flying elsewhere for embarkation, its disheartening to here that Pacific Eden is being sold overseas, so where does that leave us Cairns travellers? The Port Authority here cant answer this so I guess it means added costs of flights now. Any other Cairns embarkers have any ideas or heard anything on happens for us now? Cheers

P&O did announced just after they said about Pacific Eden leaving the P&O fleet that they would not be doing any more cruises from Cairns for the foreseeable future.

I guess once the Golden Princess goes to the P&O fleet in 2020, then they might be able to use the Pacific Aria to restart the Cairns sailings in the 2021 season.

• 3 weeks later...
P&O did announced just after they said about Pacific Eden leaving the P&O fleet that they would not be doing any more cruises from Cairns for the foreseeable future.

I guess once the Golden Princess goes to the P&O fleet in 2020, then they might be able to use the Pacific Aria to restart the Cairns sailings in the 2021 season.

Last year they had a lot of trouble filling the cruises on Eden from Cairns. This year there are a lot less cruises.

I doubt that P&O will be doing many, if any, cruises from Cairns in the future.

Early 2020 has Aria cruising out of Melbourne and Adelaide. It might stay down there.

We only have the the Aria down here for February 2020 - only 7 short trips listed. Mainly 3-4 nighters. That's all we get from P&O for the 2019/20 season. They are down one ship till Golden goes over to them.

Am waiting to see what Carnival have in mind for Melb cause it only leaves us with Golden Princess for that summer.

Maybe I will have to save up my pennies and go upmarket to Queen Elizabeth!! She has a couple of trips listed.

We are in the Mackay area and it was so great to have our trip last September from Cairns. Instead of traveling out of Brisbane/Sydney...So unfair I feel. We took the train up ...was so great/also gives Queensland Rail a bit of business and we were looking at doing another trip...out of Cairns. WHY NOT more Cruises coming out of Cairns...makes good sense to me ...everything is closer for oversea's travel from Cairns ... they should be looking at cheaper air flights to up here at the top or use our train system....everything is always for the bigger cities...sorry :'):'):(but makes me mad..grrr.Thank you to the person asking this question.