Retiring at sea

It is a long ways from a company planning a ship to the ship sailing. It appears the people behind his are not from the cruise industry and may have never done a rebuilding of a old cruise ship. Claims will be ready within a year but to much risk for me. If I was going to try living on a ship I would look at one with a proven track record. Living on a cruise ship can be done, and is being done. Both on public cruise ships (major cruise lines) and private companies just doing ownership shares like The World.

Yes it is a very small ship MS Enchanted Capri less than 16,000 tons. The average cruise ship under construction today is over 107,000 tons. It is also a very old ship built in 1975 so coming up on 45 years old. Even if you rebuild from the hull up it is old and tired. So slow, small, old, unproven management company, no cruise ship history and it is only a timeshare for twenty years, nothing that would get me interested.

If I was looking to retire and live on a cruise ship , and had the sort of money that would ne needed for this project ....I would be looking at something that was a lot newer, and with fixed costs .

. Maintenance , compliance and repair costs could... (will ) .. be horrendous.:eek:

If I was looking to retire and live on a cruise ship , and had the sort of money that would ne needed for this project ....I would be looking at something that was a lot newer, and with fixed costs .

. Maintenance , compliance and repair costs could... (will ) .. be horrendous.:eek:

Agreed, I think it also has the makings of a movie like Money Pit.

Whilst retiring to a cruiseship seems attractive at first thought, I can't see that working for us. DW and I would miss our family, and the grandkids we hope to have one day!

We will look to travel more, mostly cruise, in our later years, maybe even a world cruise once??, but would need to spend time at home, and spread our cruises between different ships as Mic Canberra suggests.

Whilst retiring to a cruiseship seems attractive at first thought, I can't see that working for us. DW and I would miss our family, and the grandkids we hope to have one day!

We will look to travel more, mostly cruise, in our later years, maybe even a world cruise once??, but would need to spend time at home, and spread our cruises between different ships as Mic Canberra suggests.

Definitely the case, we used to like going away for 6-8 weeks now even 4 weeks seems to long away from our son and granddaughter.

We've all joked about the concept though.

In my case I'd consider a variation where you sign up to a international cruise line and spend your remaining years going ship to ship and cruising all around the world!

The kids and grandkids could get a discount once a year to catch up!

Cheers

A mid ship balcony on say Princess or Celebrity would set you back about $180,000 a year for two. Before any discounts you could negotiate for long term bookings.

Then you could even swap ships from time to time.

So much about this retirement ship will depend on the annual fees.

We've all joked about the concept though.

In my case I'd consider a variation where you sign up to a international cruise line and spend your remaining years going ship to ship and cruising all around the world!

The kids and grandkids could get a discount once a year to catch up!

Cheers

That would be nice if it was more often than once a year.

A mid ship balcony on say Princess or Celebrity would set you back about $180,000 a year for two. Before any discounts you could negotiate for long term bookings.

And lots of money to cover them.

I reckon you could do better than $180k for b2b2b2b2b2n2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b.................. :D

We met a lady one cruise who said year round cruising was cheaper than a retirement home!

Hate to think what the body corporate fees might be for such a retirement ship.

Cheers

No discounts for long term bookings.

I reckon you could do better than $180k for b2b2b2b2b2n2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b2b.................. :D

We met a lady one cruise who said year round cruising was cheaper than a retirement home!

Cheers

I was basing it on about $250ea pd for a BA.

I’ve been in contact with the company offering the retirement cruises for a couple of years now, and last I knew that we’re talking about $120k corporate fees but that hadn’t been settled as far as I’ve heard, and that means it’s not much less than just booking.

No discounts for long term bookings.

That’s different than what some people I’ve met who are doing it said, now was it just their agents or the line, t9 be frank I don’t ask any more than they volunteer in general chatting.

Cheers

Retirement homes in the USA can be expensive and if you go an inside you’d pretty well halve 5he figures I’ve used. But then I wouldn5 do it at all if I had to sail in an inside.

Cheers

Maybe in the US but I doubt it would be for an Australian retirement home, but i suppose it all depends on how many years you get out of it before your health requires a move..

Retirement homes in the USA can be expensive and if you go an inside you’d pretty well halve 5he figures I’ve used. But then I wouldn5 do it at all if I had to sail in an inside.

Insides are fine for a few days but not for any real length cruise or for staying in for a few months..

A couple of years ago Snopes posted an article about this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/my-retirement-plan/

Whilst long term cruising may (or may not) be a viable alternative for moving into a retirement village (ILU = Independant Living Unit) I do not believe a cruise ship can substitute for those who need to be in care.

I work in the aged care industry and see people who need assistance with managing their medication and all sorts of ADLs (Activities of Daily Living such as showering, combing their hair, getting dressed, etc, etc, etc). And don’t get me started on incontinance! Some of my residents can’t find their way to the dining room or their own room even though they have lived in the facility for over 12 months! I’ve encountered some great staff on cruise ships over the years but they are not available to give the sort of assistance that some older people require.

With regards to price, the Australian government has implemented a "user pays" system for aged care. Whilst a cruise may be cheaper for the wealthy, those with assets under about $48,000 currently only pay the equivalent of 85% of the aged pension. I don’t see any cruises for $50/day.

Also, 20 years is a long time. While we may be fit and healthy today, that can change quickly and often does for the elderly.

Just some food for though. :cool: