Transportation from Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) to Long Beach Airport

Tantsee

We are planning to rent a car at Long Beach Airport after our Panama Canal cruise, and drive home to Arizona. Which mode of transportation do you prefer to take to get from the port in San Pedro to the airport, and what is the approximate cost (if you remember)? I have been checking options on Google, but I am interested in your personal experience/opinions.

If you know of a better/easier place to rent a car, I would be open to suggestions. I should add that we booked through Budget because they didn't have an extra drop-off fee for a one-way rental. Most of the other rental car companies charge for that.

Hi,

I don't use Budget so no experience with them but they have an office in downtown Long Beach which is a bit closer to the port.

No idea of their hours or anything else but Google shows them at 333 E Ocean Blvd at the Westin Hotel there.

Otherwise getting to the airport is like getting anywhere else in the USA -taxi,shuttle van, Uber/Lyft. Depending on how many people you have Uber/Lyft is usually the least expensive.

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I checked out the Budget on Ocean Blvd, but they don't allow drop-off at a different location, so I guess we're back to LGB.

We are new to Uber/Lyft, so it is somewhat intimidating at this point. I know this is a silly concern, but it is legitimate... how in the heck do you find your driver amongst all the chaos on disembarkation day?!? :o

We will probably end up going that route if I can just figure out the logistics.

We are new to Uber/Lyft, so it is somewhat intimidating at this point. I know this is a silly concern, but it is legitimate... how in the heck do you find your driver amongst all the chaos on disembarkation day?!? :o

We will probably end up going that route if I can just figure out the logistics.

I've used Uber a bit...and find it's easier than locating your limo or town car or reserved taxi--if you use one of those services.

When you use the Uber app, it tells you your driver's name, his/her type and color of car and license plate number...plus it has a tracking feature that lets you know where he/she is and how long it will take him/her to arrive at your pick-up point.

You wait at the designated curbside and follow his/her movement on the app...then, when it says the driver is close, just start looking for the car. All Uber drivers have an Uber logo plaque in the windshield, so look for that...and the noted license plate. The driver also has your name. Because of all this, finding the driver/car is fairly easy...These are features you don't get with most other forms of ground transportation. I believe Lyft works in a pretty much similar fashion.

Prior to all this, of course, you download the Uber app into your cell phone...and input your credit card info. When you get to the curb outside the terminal, you merely input where you want to be taken into the app...the app automatically knows your location. Since it already has your credit card info, you don't need cash...or to pull out a credit card. Charges automatically go to your credit card. It is all extremely easy. I especially like being able to track the driver's location...really beats waiting around for a shuttle that you have no clue as to the arrival time...

At other ports I have seen separate pick up areas at the curb for taxis and then a separate area to wait for uber/lyft. The same thing happens at many airports. It doesn't sound like this is the case at San Pedro from the description above.

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I checked out the Budget on Ocean Blvd, but they don't allow drop-off at a different location, so I guess we're back to LGB.

It is super easy to use Uber. Download the App on your phone. You will set it up with your credentials, and when you are ready you use the App to get your Car/Driver. They will tell you which car is coming for you, the make, model and year. The Driver will text you when he arrives. We have used Uber when we have been overseas, and my husband is super cautious. Maybe you should try it before your cruise for a short trip, just to see how easy it is.

Thank you, 1319AGF. We did use Uber last year for a trial run trip from our Miami hotel to the port, so the app is downloaded and I understand the basics. The hotel pick-up was pretty straightforward. After reading all of the very helpful posts here, I'm thinking that a pick-up from the cruise port shouldn't be that bad either. Thanks again, everyone!