Air charter in Reykjavik: which airport?

FauxNom

I just signed on for an expedition cruise on the Silver Cloud, departing Kangerlussuaq on September 3, 2018. Can anyone tell me from past experience whether the charter from Reykjavik flies out of KEF, the international airport, or from the domestic airport? My cruise consultant said it was the international one, but I didn't get the sense he actually checked, so I'm polling the audience--I am pretty sure some of you have done this charter one direction or the other. It makes a difference because we want to fly into KEF that morning, but need to leave extra time if we must change airports. Thanks!

Last time I flew into Iceland. International flights come and go from Keflivik and private charters fly out of Reykjavik. A longer runway exists at the larger town.

Thanks! That confirms that I need to make sure, and have asked my Silversea agent to double check.

And thank you Rachel. BTW, I read every word of your Arctic trip reports, and they helped a lot as I considered booking this trip.

Thanks! That confirms that I need to make sure, and have asked my Silversea agent to double check.

And thank you Rachel. BTW, I read every word of your Arctic trip reports, and they helped a lot as I considered booking this trip.

Greenland and Iceland are two our favorite places. Hopefully you will have good weather. It has always been good for us in Iceland, but it absolutely poured rain when we were in Nuuk.

Flights from the Domestic Airport (RKV) go elsewhere in Iceland, to the Faroe Islands, and to Greenland. Greenland flights can also go from KEF, but they definitely go from RKV

Do make certain which one you are traveling from as it's a good 45-60 minutes from one to the other by bus/taxi and a VERY expensive taxi that is.

Greenland and Iceland are two our favorite places. Hopefully you will have good weather. It has always been good for us in Iceland, but it absolutely poured rain when we were in Nuuk.

The weather and seas you had on your Canada / Greenland trip sound daunting! I'm hoping for better luck with the seas, even if we do run into clouds and rain.

Flights from the Domestic Airport (RKV) go elsewhere in Iceland, to the Faroe Islands, and to Greenland. Greenland flights can also go from KEF, but they definitely go from RKV

Do make certain which one you are traveling from as it's a good 45-60 minutes from one to the other by bus/taxi and a VERY expensive taxi that is.

Thanks! So it sounds like the odds are against the Silversea charter departing from KEF, and I'm really hoping my cruise consultant can give me accurate information soon. Must get those flights booked!

Thanks! So it sounds like the odds are against the Silversea charter departing from KEF, and I'm really hoping my cruise consultant can give me accurate information soon. Must get those flights booked!
KEF for sure. Most planes which go there are propellers due to it's an urban airport with plenty of restrictions.

Enviado desde mi SM-T813 mediante Tapatalk

KEF for sure. Most planes which go there are propellers due to it's an urban airport with plenty of restrictions.

Thanks for the reply! My cruise consultant just confirmed that it is indeed departing from KEF. Meanwhile, we decided to avoid stress and just fly in the previous day. A leisurely day before we board the charter will be welcome.

Thanks for the reply! My cruise consultant just confirmed that it is indeed departing from KEF. Meanwhile, we decided to avoid stress and just fly in the previous day. A leisurely day before we board the charter will be welcome.

Hi Kathy, glad to see you're planning another expedition cruise!

Great idea to fly in a day early. There is plenty to do around Reykjavik; we 've been there a few times and love it. I hope you have time to rent a car and tour around the area if you haven't been here before. Then it would be easy enough to drive yourself back to Keflavik for the charter. Pickup and dropoff at KEF isn't too bad.

That's what I would do, though perhaps my definition of leisurely is different from yours... One other advantage is if your charter flight changes its location at the last minute, you could probably change things to drop your car off at the domestic airport w/o a significant charge. I've used Hertz a few times, and once I picked up at the downtown airport, and dropped off at KEF, w/o a one-way fee.

We had an unexpected night in Reykjavik this January, when the snow was so bad that the road to our planned hotel in the south was closed. So we walked in to the Hilton Reykjavik and they had a room for us. Just enough out of downtown to (maybe) avoid some of the noise, but it's walkable if you want. They also have free parking.

But there are plenty of other good hotel options in the area. Enjoy your trip!

Hi Kathy, glad to see you're planning another expedition cruise!

Thanks, JP! We are really happy to have another expedition experience to look forward to! Thanks for the advice about Reykjavic. We won't have long there but will definitely see as much as our day allows. Is there anything in the city itself that you would particularly recommend, in case we decide to stay local and not rent a car?

Thanks, JP! We are really happy to have another expedition experience to look forward to! Thanks for the advice about Reykjavic. We won't have long there but will definitely see as much as our day allows. Is there anything in the city itself that you would particularly recommend, in case we decide to stay local and not rent a car?
It's cozy, friendly and so pleasant. Wooden houses, a lovely lake behind downtown and awesome views at the port. The concert hall, the Hallgrímskirkja, and the famous hot dogs by port. The shopping area is not huge but with interesting local shops. Wool pullovers, salt, liquorice chocolate....my favourite view at sunset at the port to the mountains

Go to the Svarta Café for a real local soup into a huge bread.acacab46325eeb2f6cf6463d9dc3dd01.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-T813 mediante Tapatalk

Kathy, we've been to Iceland a few times for stays of varying lengths. We did a few days in August 2014 but stayed well out of town. We spend 4 nights in Reykjavik in January 2011, and we did a one-day stopover this past January where we also stayed in the city.

We prefer to drive through the countryside in summer, but if you want to just hang in Reykjavik for the day there is enough to do. Stay in town or just on the outskirts. Parking will be easier in the Hilton or similar, but we really like the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum right in the middle of town as an alternative. They don't have parking (at least they didn't when we stayed in 2011) so we parked on the street. It was easy in January but may be more challenging in September.

What to do? The Northern Lights museum is cute and informative. There are a few other museums too; there's a Saga museum near the Northern Lights museum but we haven't been to see it since it moved to this new location (it used to be in the Perlan). When we saw it there, it was really cool. The statues are VERY lifelike; they were cast from local residents. AND, the occasionally replace one with a real human. So you're reading about a saga and looking at the statues, when suddenly one blinks or something. Creepy!!

The phallological museum is fairly unique... There is a museum right next to the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum, about the first settlement. On the edge of town there is a History Museum where we spent some time.

The Harpa concert hall is pretty as well. The lake is a nice place to relax, but just watch out for the birds... We had to visit the public restrooms in the town hall next to the lake after one of the birds took aim at us. There is also a waterfront path that leads all the way to the big cruise ship pier, about 2 miles. Nice place to wander, and along the way you will find the Viking Boat sculpture.

There are a few scenic viewpoints - Halgrimskirkja, from the steeple - a unique modern-style church is worth the look. The view isn't the greatest because IIRC the windows were kind of small. On the edge of town, the Perlan offers a gorgeous view but the buggers are now charging an entry fee of about 500 ISK just to stand on the viewing deck!! It always used to be free. The view is 360 degrees and just beautiful, so spending 4-5 bucks may be worth it.

Lots of nice restaurants, but food is crazy expensive so be forewarned. We really liked the tasting menu at Fiskfelagid (Fish Company) but it was well over $100 per person. Wine is even more expensive. Good luck finding anything under $15 a glass. When we were there a few months ago, Rioja was the cheap stuff. Cafe Paris was our go-to place in 2011 for cheap(er) food.

That should be enough to keep you busy for a day. Have fun!

Last time I flew into Iceland. International flights come and go from Keflivik and private charters fly out of Reykjavik. A longer runway exists at the larger town.

Completely wrong on runways.

The city of Reykjavik is many times the size of the town of Keflavik. OTOH, the main runways at KEF are both over 10,000 ft in length, while the longest runway at RKV is 5140 ft in length.

Other than that....

That should be enough to keep you busy for a day. Have fun!

JP, what a great bunch of ideas! Indeed, that would keep us busy. (You might remember that we operate at about half the speed of you and Chris,but we'll attempt to see some of your highlights!) Thank you.