Flights to Capetown

Can't speak with knowledge about who Regent's currently contracts with. Regarding "best" routes - well that depends on your definition of best. No airline flies non-stop from the USA to CPT. You will need to connect at least once, and here comes your definition of "best". You can fly non-stop from JFK or IAD or ATL to Johannesburg (JNB) and connect to a domestic flight to CPT, or you can fly to Europe/MidEast and connect there for a non-stop into CPT. Airlines serving European destinations from CPT include KLM, Lufthansa and British Airways, plus Emirates and Qatar through the Gulf.

I would be looking at the inflight hard-product for the various carriers, since you are going to be onboard for a long time regardless of your routing. Be sure to look at what specific equipment is operated on those routes. A prime example is Emirates, which has a very nice business product on their A380, while the 777 product is dated and adequate at best.

It is also possible that due to limited business class lift into CPT, you might be on a multiple connect itinerary that may involve other carriers and airports.

Don't know the answer to the first question, but as to the second, there are many answers. I have flown the Delta non-stop between Atlanta and Jo'burg; it was great; and then domestic connection to Cape Town. I have also flown Delta ATL-AMS and KLM AMS-CPT also wonderful (long layover in AMS but you can also make it an overnighter) I would avoid changing in LHR or CDG if flying business or first class due to high taxes.

Most of my friend prefer Emirates (through Dubai) or Qatar Air (through Doha) but I don't like the extra day of travel.

Me, I would take the DL Jo'burg non-stop or DL/KLM via AMS direct to Cape Town.

Marc

We booked the air ourselves on Emirates. Regent was giving $6,000 credit per person for the business air and it was less expensive to book directly with Emirates. We have long stopovers in both directions but Emirates puts you up in a hotel. They also include all transfers including picking us up at our house and taking us to the airport in both directions.

I have also flown Delta ATL-AMS and KLM AMS-CPT also wonderful (long layover in AMS but you can also make it an overnighter)

That completely depends upon when you arrive into AMS. The flight to CPT leaves at 10am, so if you arrive in the earlier morning hours, you make the connect without a "long layover". OTOH, if you arrive after 10am, you can spend the day and overnight in AMS and it is considered a "connection" with no break in the through fare.

I would avoid changing in LHR or CDG if flying business or first class due to high taxes
Not the case. The APD in the UK is not charged on connecting flights. If you have a stopover, that's another matter. (And there is a difference between "connection" and "stopover"). There is no similar tax at CDG, so not sure where you have that idea. In fact, some folks buy Eurostar tickets to Paris, then fly premium class from there, just to avoid the APD.

We booked the air ourselves on Emirates. Regent was giving $6,000 credit per person for the business air and it was less expensive to book directly with Emirates. We have long stopovers in both directions but Emirates puts you up in a hotel. They also include all transfers including picking us up at our house and taking us to the airport in both directions.

Just remember that EK uses a 777 for the DXB-CPT segment. That's configured in business as a 2-3-2, with angled-flat seats. Window passengers, and the middle of the "3" have no direct aisle access and have to climb over their seatmate. No onboard bar/lounge as on the A380. Definitely not state of the art for biz seating nowdays.

Hopefully, you at least have the A380 from the USA to DXB. Significant difference in hard product experience from the 777.

Not the case. The APD in the UK is not charged on connecting flights. If you have a stopover, that's another matter. (And there is a difference between "connection" and "stopover"). There is no similar tax at CDG, so not sure where you have that idea. In fact, some folks buy Eurostar tickets to Paris, then fly premium class from there, just to avoid the APD.

FT, thanks for the correction; I usually connect in CDG and thought my taxes were higher than just a pure DL direct flight; however, I just noticed that taxes AUS - BRU are only $5.60 outbound but a whopping 274 euros on return. Are you saying that if that return originated outside of Europe I would not need to pay such high taxes on return?

thanks,

Marc

Marc,

Lots of different factors involved. If you are talking FF tickets, there are often surcharges on tickets originating non-USA (say a one-way starting in Europe). Also, there are various carrier imposed fees that have no relationship to actual "taxes". From your mention of sub-$6 "taxes" on the outbound from AUS, I would be suspecting a one-way FF ticket, as a revenue ticket would have far more actual government fees and taxes (I think you only have a 9/11 security fee).

Also, when flying into the USA, you have customs fees, agricultural inspection fees and more. Those are on any kind of ticket.

I think you need to drill down into just what all the fees are for - doubt that you will find one that is a premium-class duty like the UK's APD.

Just remember that EK uses a 777 for the DXB-CPT segment. That's configured in business as a 2-3-2, with angled-flat seats. Window passengers, and the middle of the "3" have no direct aisle access and have to climb over their seatmate. No onboard bar/lounge as on the A380. Definitely not state of the art for biz seating nowdays.

Hopefully, you at least have the A380 from the USA to DXB. Significant difference in hard product experience from the 777.

Yes, our flights from LAX-DXB are on the A380.

Seems Emirates updated the 777 planes. Seats are now fully flat. Still the 2-3-2 configuration.

For us, we always fly to the Continent and layover for 3-4 days to get over the jet lag. We are from the west coast so CPT is 9 hours ahead. but from London it is only 1 hour time zone difference. Amsterdam is the same time. Both BA and KLM have non stops to CPT, about 11 hours. I don't know about other airline. but Emirates, mention above might be a good choice too.

IMO, consider flying into J'NB and then on to a game camp before the cruise for 4-5 days. The best game camps are much near Johannesburg than Capetown.

J

Seems Emirates updated the 777 planes. Seats are now fully flat. Still the 2-3-2 configuration.

That's for new aircraft, and for few of the existing fleet. Any changeover will take many years, as EK is the largest 777 operator, and EK has not announced a timetable for the conversions. So for at least the next few years, you will more likely get the slant-flat than the lie-flat. One small upgrade coming is that the 777-200LR will be converted to a 2-2-2 config, rather than 2-3-2. But there are only 10 of those aircraft in the EK fleet, and window passengers will still have to climb over their seatmate.

For us, we always fly to the Continent and layover for 3-4 days to get over the jet lag. We are from the west coast so CPT is 9 hours ahead. but from London it is only 1 hour time zone difference. Amsterdam is the same time. Both BA and KLM have non stops to CPT, about 11 hours. I don't know about other airline. but Emirates, mention above might be a good choice too.

If the ticket is on your own nickel, unless you have a specific fare that allows for a stopover, staying more than 24 hours will "break" your fare, as you are no longer making a "connection". Now, your ticket is the combination of a fare to Europe, added to the fare for Europe to SA. You do not have a USA-SA "through fare" anymore - usually with some significant increase in cost. Especially if doing this at LHR - your onward flight is now subject to the APD.

Then again, if cost is irrelevant....but then, you'd have your own G650.

Which airlines does Regent contract with to fly into Capetown? What are the best routes from either Atlanta or JFK ?

Thanks!

The last time we went to Cape Town, Regents air credit was $12,000 (for 2). We found round-trip air for $8,500. I would choose an airline that rates well in terms of seats since you will need flat-bed (not angled) seats. There are websites that review business class seats.

Your TA should be able to tell you which airlines Regent currently contracts with (it seems that they contract with most major airlines). Do a bit of research and find out which routing works for you vs. what works for others. For instance, many people have no problem flying on U.S. based airlines while they would be our last choice.

Another tip -- many flights arrive in Cape Town quite early. We had a private guide (not expensive) pick us up and take us on a half day tour before dropping us off at the hotel. It was a great use of our time.

If the ticket is on your own nickel, unless you have a specific fare that allows for a stopover, staying more than 24 hours will "break" your fare, as you are no longer making a "connection". Now, your ticket is the combination of a fare to Europe, added to the fare for Europe to SA. You do not have a USA-SA "through fare" anymore - usually with some significant increase in cost. Especially if doing this at LHR - your onward flight is now subject to the APD.

Then again, if cost is irrelevant....but then, you'd have your own G650.

According to Kayak, for random date in Feb, I can get the flights non-stop LAX -LHR, +4 days, Non-stop LHR-JNB Business; RT JNB-MAD-LAX (one stop) Business, all on BA ticket for $4488 pp. Seem very reasonable to me.

J

According to Kayak, for random date in Feb, I can get the flights non-stop LAX -LHR, +4 days, Non-stop LHR-JNB Business; RT JNB-MAD-LAX (one stop) Business, all on BA ticket for $4488 pp. Seem very reasonable to me.

And it is even more "reasonable" when booked without the stopover. Anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to over a grand, depending on carrier. Just want folks to realize...padding in extra days will change the fare basis from a through fare to two separate segment fares, which won't match the through pricing.

Can't speak with knowledge about who Regent's currently contracts with. Regarding "best" routes - well that depends on your definition of best. No airline flies non-stop from the USA to CPT. You will need to connect at least once, and here comes your definition of "best". You can fly non-stop from JFK or IAD or ATL to Johannesburg (JNB) and connect to a domestic flight to CPT, or you can fly to Europe/MidEast and connect there for a non-stop into CPT. Airlines serving European destinations from CPT include KLM, Lufthansa and British Airways, plus Emirates and Qatar through the Gulf.

I would be looking at the inflight hard-product for the various carriers, since you are going to be onboard for a long time regardless of your routing. Be sure to look at what specific equipment is operated on those routes. A prime example is Emirates, which has a very nice business product on their A380, while the 777 product is dated and adequate at best.

It is also possible that due to limited business class lift into CPT, you might be on a multiple connect itinerary that may involve other carriers and airports.

I agree with FT, Emirates is by far the best and have good connections in Dubai. Flying the A-380 is phenomenal. FT, did you see the new first class suites on the 777 I saw it on YouTube.