What happens to solos under 2-for-1 discount offer?

AboveUsOnlySky

I just hung up with Viking feeling more confused than before I called! (My fault, for sure.) They are running a 2-for-1 special. If per-person cost for a cruise is normally $10k, it is now $5k, such that two people can sail for $10k. But if you want to sail solo, I think she implied you would have to pay $20k, i.e., the UNdiscounted price x 2. Is that possible, or would it just be $10k, so that it costs no more to go solo than with a partner? It seemed outrageous, but I fear one of us misunderstood the other. Hoping to travel w/a family member who would also occupy a (separate) solo cabin, so we could conceivably be asked to pay $40k for the privilege? Has anyone managed to translate the solo policy under the current discount? Also, she said that travel agents cannot offer lower fares on Viking products. Has anyone ever been able to swing a deal beyond OBC or somesuch? Many thanks! I am obviously new-ish to this.

I just hung up with Viking feeling more confused than before I called! (My fault, for sure.) They are running a 2-for-1 special. If per-person cost for a cruise is normally $10k, it is now $5k, such that two people can sail for $10k. But if you want to sail solo, I think she implied you would have to pay $20k, i.e., the UNdiscounted price x 2. Is that possible, or would it just be $10k, so that it costs no more to go solo than with a partner? It seemed outrageous, but I fear one of us misunderstood the other. Hoping to travel w/a family member who would also occupy a (separate) solo cabin, so we could conceivably be asked to pay $40k for the privilege? Has anyone managed to translate the solo policy under the current discount? Also, she said that travel agents cannot offer lower fares on Viking products. Has anyone ever been able to swing a deal beyond OBC or somesuch? Many thanks! I am obviously new-ish to this.

Ignore the 2 for 1 business; it is just marketing razzle dazzle. Pay attention to the price without the line through it. That is the price per person double occupancy. The single supplement is normally 100%. In other words, you pay for the whole cabin regardless of there are 1 or 2 people in it. So if the pp price is 5k, a single pays 10k for the cabin.

Right TAs cannot further discount the fare. Viking controls the price. Even the OBCs are controlled.

Welcome to Crusie Critic and the Viking forum.

As Peregina said, traveling solo in one cabin will cost you 100% more beyond the pp price you see on any cruise web site.

Some cruise lines do offer a solo rate on some cruises of only 25 -50% beyond the pp price you see on any cruise web site. It is expensive to sail solo. Would your fmaily memeber want to share a cabin ?

I am single and always s find a friend or relative to cruise with me.

I just picked an Alaska cruise at random. $5,000 for a V category. $9,000 for an Explorers Suite. So it would be a little cheaper per person than 2 solo V cabins and you'd have 760 square feet with a living room and giant balcony. Just a thought. But it's nice to have a cabin to yourself too.

I really appreciate all your replies and suggestions! I understand now and will take a look at the larger suite. All the best to all of you.

Yes, but confirm that you can actually sleep 3 people in a suite. Most of the cabins are only designed to sleep two people and there is no indication otherwise on the website.

This is accurate. Thanks again, everyone. Suite only has one bedroom, so unfortunately it will not work.

I’m assuming you know that the beds can be separated into 2 twin beds. In case that was the reason for getting 2 rooms.

Otherwise, I understand the desire for privacy. I have my husband to travel with, but if I did not, I’d be particular about sharing with someone else. My sister is okay if there are 2 beds, but with others I might want separate rooms. Does get pricey, though. You pay through the nose for that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums