Question for Mic Canberra

Apologies for starting a new thread but I didnt want to post a question in the el cheapo thread as I would get another "get a room" comment.

I recall you recently did a cruise around Japan on the Diamond. Could you please tell me which Japanese ports you did and also if Princess/ the port authority/city put on free shuttle from ship to town?

They did when we were there in 2015 and 2016 but theres discussion on the roll call for my upcoming cruise that Princess has stopped the free shuttles being made available to anyone not going on a princess excursion.

Thanks

I am not Mic, but we recently did the Golden repositioning cruise from Tokyo to Vancouver, which included the following ports in Japan

Shimizu- no shuttle, but 10 min walk into town

Osaka- no shuttle. 10 min walk to the subway

Sakaiminato- free shuttle into town 15 mins drive

Hakodate- free shuttle into town. (though we were originally told it was 1000 yen pp return by our good will guide). 15 min drive

Muroran- dont know as we had a private tour that picked us up from the ship

Cheers

Tanya

Apologies for starting a new thread but I didnt want to post a question in the el cheapo thread as I would get another "get a room" comment.

I recall you recently did a cruise around Japan on the Diamond. Could you please tell me which Japanese ports you did and also if Princess/ the port authority/city put on free shuttle from ship to town?

They did when we were there in 2015 and 2016 but theres discussion on the roll call for my upcoming cruise that Princess has stopped the free shuttles being made available to anyone not going on a princess excursion.

Thanks

Good question Tara Jane. Bit scared to post anything after the "get a room" comment!

Thank you Tanya - happy to get feed back from anyone who has done these ports.

We will be visiting

Yokohama no probs there I know my way around.

Ishinomaki

Hakodate

Vladivostok - have booked ships tour so no probs here

Aomori

Akita

Sakaiminato

Busan - am ok with Busan will just visit the aquarium. Been to Busan several times.

Kochi

Tokushima

We are thinking of doing the Yokohama to Vancouver next year but Norweigan seemed to have the best itinerary in regard to the alaskan ports. Havent seen their cruises released for next year. Hope they will do another like last May which gives the opportunity to see some of the cherry blossom up north.

We will be visiting

Ishinomaki

Hakodate

Aomori

Akita

Sakaiminato

Busan - am ok with Busan will just visit the aquarium. Been to Busan several times.

Kochi

Tokushima

We are thinking of doing the Yokohama to Vancouver next year but Norweigan seemed to have the best itinerary in regard to the alaskan ports. Havent seen their cruises released for next year. Hope they will do another like last May which gives the opportunity to see some of the cherry blossom up north.

We were in Hakodate in the north and saw Cherryblossoms there.(4th May)

I was able to get a goodwill guide for Hakodate. He was so great 76 years old and we couldnt keep up with him LOL. Was 3000 yen for 4 people for 3 hours. He stayed with us for 7 hours. Bought him lunch and ice cream.

Sakiaminato- we caught the shuttle into town and walked around. The streets are lined with statues to honour Shigeru Mizuki. Tried to get a guide for here, but no luck.

Lots of different ports to us. I think we will have to go back

Tanya

I have done a bit of fishing around for you on this site. http://Www.cruisetimetables.com

Norwegian is showing Alaska cruises in 2019, with the final one being on Norwegian Bliss commencing 22 Sep 2019.

What is a bit peculiar is that the Norwegian Jewel is missing several weeks on this site. She shows up on 16 Mar 2019 in Hong Kong. Then nothing till she appears on 20 May 2019 in Vancouver at the commencement of an Alaska cruise.

I suspect that the “gap” is the cruise that you are looking for. Perhaps ring Carnival for clarification?

Thanks

Hi Tara Jane, Sorry, I had missed seeing this thread.

We did Japan on the Ovation of the seas out of Hong Kong.

We visited Fukuoka, it docked close to town and there was no need for any shuttles.

Nagasaki, we did a ship's tour here for the Atomic Bomb museum and Peace park but the ship was docked very close to the city as well. Again no need for any shuttles.

Kumamoto, we did another ship's tour which was good as we docked at Yatsushiro which is over an hour away. They did have a shuttle into the local shops but there wasn't much there apparently.

and lastly Shiminoseki, again we docked just outside of town. They had a shuttle but it was $20 USD per person.

We will be visiting

Ishinomaki

Hakodate

Aomori

Akita

Sakaiminato

Kochi

Tokushima

Hi Tara, we also went to Japan back in 2012 on the Diamond Princess which was a transpacific - Vancouver to Beijing. Out of all those ports we only stopped at Vladivostok (we did a ship's tour here, as our Aomori port was cancelled due to a super typhoon. We also stopped at Muroran, Japan but we did a private tour and cannot remember if they had shuttles or not, it was a commercial port though.

Thanks Mic, I wondered if you were away cruising. Appreciate your info. When hadn't heard from you I put a post up on the Asia cruise ports for Heather. She has answered me with info for each of the ports I needed info on.

Looks like Princess have managed to manipulate the local city and are making $$ out of the passengers.

Our last cruises in 2015 and 2016 around Japan were great and we had the bonus of Heather being the port lecturer.

Thanks Mic, I wondered if you were away cruising. Appreciate your info. When hadn't heard from you I put a post up on the Asia cruise ports for Heather. She has answered me with info for each of the ports I needed info on.

Looks like Princess have managed to manipulate the local city and are making $$ out of the passengers.

Our last cruises in 2015 and 2016 around Japan were great and we had the bonus of Heather being the port lecturer.

Just had been busy this week and hadn't checked the board just my subscriptions. Glad you have it sorted and Heather has been of help.