Dress Code Question

Sailing on Mariner next week from Anchorage to Victoria.

Thanks to input from this board we have a solid understanding of the evening dres code on Mariner.

Question - Is there a dress code during the day if you stay on the ship or during days at sea (cruising the icy straight)?

Are jeans acceptable during the day? If not what do most people wear? Thanks in advance!!

Edited by zhuskers1

Jeans are completely acceptable until 6 pm. What I wear during the day depends on where in the world I am. In Alaska, make sure that you take layers. You will want to be outside on deck if you get into Tracy Arm or even Endicott Arm, and it will be quite chilly. Definitely recommend taking a cap and gloves. I am leaving for an Alaska cruise on Oceania with the family today. I have layers packed, and will be wearing jeans and a sweater most days on board.

Yes, jeans are the norm in the daytime.

:p

quote=zhuskers1;56277919]Sailing on Mariner next week from Anchorage to Victoria.

Thanks to input from this board we have a solid understanding of the evening dres code on Mariner.

Question - Is there a dress code during the day if you stay on the ship or during days at sea (cruising the icy straight)?

Are jeans acceptable during the day? If not what do most people wear? Thanks in advance!!

Echoing the above while aboard Navigator anchored off a northern Costa Rica port (first-time visit by Regent):

Common sense based on climate, time of year, and itinerary.

Our reality is 90 degrees F; and 90 % humidity. Been the same for most of the past week. So, yesterday, guess this gave a guy "permission" to walk from the pool deck, barefoot, into Veranda Restaurant at lunch time to, I suppose, peruse menu possibilities not available at the Pool Deck Grill.

Met, thank heavens, by an Officer, who advised (can only infer not listening to that exact conversation), reverse course. Return with some footware. Guy does an about-face back to the pool area. Yes! Some standards are still-enforced.

Not to be too-harsh. But: Please no reverse baseball cap covers for guys at Compass Rose or Veranda Restaurant during breakfast or lunch. Otherwise, "Elegant Casual" seems to be tilted toward the casual side. As for jeans: this is a hot, hot, hot cruise. No jeans in site.

Best--

GOARMY!

Good to hear that rules are being enforced. As mentioned above, swimsuits need cover-ups (and bathrobes are not the answer) unless you are on the pool deck - eating at the grill, having a drink at the pool bar, lying in the sun or swimming. Other than that, you can wear just about anything during the day.

Agree about baseball caps - worn backwards or any other way. As most men know, hats/caps should not be worn inside. Obviously if you need to wear one outside in the sun, it is perfectly okay.

I may be off on this, but if my husband is at the pool and we decide after checking out the pool grill, that checking la Veranda is a better idea, but we want to eat on the deck, he needs to remove his hat on the way in because the hat police will come after him, even if we are passing inside to go eat outside? However, I can keep my hat on? Do men really do this? I think I rather see the sweaty hat on his head versus the tabletop!:eek:

Nope. There are no hat police. Because, on this cruise have observed guys having lunch at La Veranda wearing baseball caps, usually backward. Whether their initial intention was to obtain edibles inside at La Veranda for consumption at outside Pool Grill tables, but diverted from that course and decided to remain inside--

A pointless exercise. My wife and I just observe a basic standard to respect the venue and service provided there at and therein. The inside dining venues on all Regent ships deserve respect, particularly at dinner. One way of showing this is to dress appropriately. How one defines appropriate has, of course, changed over the 23 years we have been cruising.

Just signed up for two more Regent cruises in 2019. Then, Splendor, March-April 2020.

Best,

GOARMY!

I may be off on this, but if my husband is at the pool and we decide after checking out the pool grill, that checking la Veranda is a better idea, but we want to eat on the deck, he needs to remove his hat on the way in because the hat police will come after him, even if we are passing inside to go eat outside? However, I can keep my hat on? Do men really do this? I think I rather see the sweaty hat on his head versus the tabletop!:eek:

This has been the case forever (did you watch the royal wedding - even Prince Harry and William removed their hats and gloves before entering the church and military men do this all of the time. It is common courtesy. Unfortunately, like some things, manners seem to be going out of the window.

No, there are no hat police - just people that know better that look at men with hats on inside a building, home, church, etc. and understand that they do not know any better because they were not taught when growing up.

I am on board in regards to the backwards hats and covering up swimwear around the dining. I do have an issue with jeans being banned. It is a pretty modern look to wear a high end denim with a sport coat. If you look on the Nordstroms site it is a very common look for people in their 30’s and 40’s. If you are wearing a overall nice put together outfit do they really come after you in regards to the pants? The styles do change over the years and I have some jeans that cost more then suit pants. I think it looks sharp and modern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on board in regards to the backwards hats and covering up swimwear around the dining. I do have an issue with jeans being banned. It is a pretty modern look to wear a high end denim with a sport coat. If you look on the Nordstroms site it is a very common look for people in their 30’s and 40’s. If you are wearing a overall nice put together outfit do they really come after you in regards to the pants? The styles do change over the years and I have some jeans that cost more then suit pants. I think it looks sharp and modern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can wear jeans on almost all non-luxury cruise lines - so there are a lot of choices. Just so you understand my point, as with Regent's "Elegant Casual" policy, some passengers dress to the lowest possible level that is acceptable. So, when "dress jeans" are permitted, in the eyes of many younger people, this means shredded/torn jeans as this is the fashion of the moment. Regent learned when it went to the Elegant Casual policy that it is a slippery slope to passengers dressing like they are at a backyard barbecue at their home.

This has been the case forever (did you watch the royal wedding - even Prince Harry and William removed their hats and gloves before entering the church and military men do this all of the time. It is common courtesy. Unfortunately, like some things, manners seem to be going out of the window.

No, there are no hat police - just people that know better that look at men with hats on inside a building, home, church, etc. and understand that they do not know any better because they were not taught when growing up.

Ok, lets just make this very clear the buffet line (even if it is inside at lunch time) in 90 degree weather in the Caribbean isn't the royal wedding and that comparison is quite funny. Since almost all the men on a Regent cruise are well above the age 50 - they have been taught this, but some common sense needs to be in place also. Some guys also look better in the hat backwards or frontwards, if it isn't a house of worship, a business meeting, a courthouse visit - is it really that important - since women can wear a hat inside? So I really think the sweaty hat should stay on the sweaty head unless Regent puts in hat hooks (Many restaurants in New Orleans have hat hooks). ;)

Texas is very hot and humid. Wearing a cap inside a casual restaurant at breakfast or lunch is very common by all age groups. I said casual...I personally define La Veranda at breakfast and lunch as casual so it doesn’t bother me. My husband doesn’t do it in La Veranda only due to some passengers expectations.

Ok, lets just make this very clear the buffet line (even if it is inside at lunch time) in 90 degree weather in the Caribbean isn't the royal wedding and that comparison is quite funny. Since almost all the men on a Regent cruise are well above the age 50 - they have been taught this, but some common sense needs to be in place also. Some guys also look better in the hat backwards or frontwards, if it isn't a house of worship, a business meeting, a courthouse visit - is it really that important - since women can wear a hat inside? So I really think the sweaty hat should stay on the sweaty head unless Regent puts in hat hooks (Many restaurants in New Orleans have hat hooks). ;)

Etiquette is etiquette - it doesn't matter if you are 5, 20, 30, 50, 80 or 100. http://emilypost.com/advice/hats-off-hat-etiquette-for-everyone/

P.S. Yes - I did notice that the article did not specifically mention cruise ships but it does mention when you are dining!

The thought of buffet line in 90 degree heat with or without a baseball cap is not pleasant. Personally, I am not a fan of baseball caps on anyone inside, but it is a common practice in Texas. So are men in shorts and flip flops in very nice restaurants when I think they should know better, but clearly I am not in charge of anyone's dress except mine (and perhaps my husband's at times).

I know cruising is a relaxing vacation, but putting on a nice pair of slacks and a decent shirt at dinner shouldn't cause that much stress, should it? Perhaps it is easier for women; I rather like to, but I don't want to generalize.

Anyway, enjoying this thread.

Also some people of the Jewish faith wear hats for their religious beliefs such as Yamaka’s or hats if Hasidic. So now we have a double standard.

Jeans in NYC high end restaurants Michelin rated restaurants are somewhat allowed as long as they are dress jeans with no holes and many gents wear a sports jacket with them. I have no problem with that. Oh, here goes a dress code thread again. Uggh.

We saw dress jeans on Regent and Seabourn more than once and nobody cared or noticed.

Also some people of the Jewish faith wear hats for their religious beliefs such as Yamaka’s or hats if Hasidic. So now we have a double standard.

Jeans in NYC high end restaurants Michelin rated restaurants are somewhat allowed as long as they are dress jeans with no holes and many gents wear a sports jacket with them. I have no problem with that. Oh, here goes a dress code thread again. Uggh.

We saw dress jeans on Regent and Seabourn more than once and nobody cared or noticed.

Religious hats/caps/yamaka's would obviously be an exception!

Also there is the issue of people who have had cancer treatments that may not want to show the scarring i.e melanoma or other radiation or surgery they may have had. Exceptions should be made. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Baseball caps of course not but another type of hat would be acceptable to me.

Also there is the issue of people who have had cancer treatments that may not want to show the scarring i.e melanoma or other radiation or surgery they may have had. Exceptions should be made. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Baseball caps �� of course not but another type of hat would be acceptable to me.

The biggest issue is baseball caps. There are some places (not in this country) where they are banned! As stated in the International Business Times "No one else should ever wear a baseball cap; it serves no purpose, neither practical nor aesthetic."

I did not say baseball caps were appropriate another hat maybe necessary for the reasons I mentioned in my above post. I volunteer for the ACS. American Cancer Society. Have a bit of empathy.

I am very familiar with the side effects of cancer as it has affected my friends and family. I commend you for volunteering for the American Cancer Society! Every purchase I make from Amazon (and I am order almost everything from there) there is a donation to the Lymphoma and Leukemia society. My comments have nothing whatsoever to do with people that need to wear hats. However, I think that you would agree that most of the men wearing ball caps inside of restaurants and other places are not doing so due to religious or medical reasons. To state that because some people are are sweaty and need to keep their baseball cap on is an insult to people that need to wear them.

Should mention that a few years ago an older singing group (wish that I could remember their name) was on Regent and the eldest (guessing that he was in his 80's) wore a hat and was asked to leave CR. I felt badly for him. There are good reasons for exceptions. Some people have to wear sneakers/tennis shoes due to feet issues and they should not be belittled or asked to leave a restaurant.

While it is not possible to identify people with issues that cause them to wear hats or tennis shoes, perhaps the dress code should acknowledge that exceptions are made for religious or medical reasons. Some people will still cheat and take advantage of it but, In my opinion, the majority will be respectful of the policy. If someone is wearing a hat at night (or tennis shoes), a quick word with the maitre 'd letting him/her know that they need to wear specific clothing for religious/medical reasons would insure that they are not bothered by Regent crew members.

Obviously there is no medical or religious reason to wear baseball caps (forward or backwards) nor are jeans needed for anything. To me, the issue comes down to respect. In this case, respect for Regent and their guidelines and policies.

I believe that you and I are on the same page but perhaps look at it a bit differently.

I am very familiar with the side effects of cancer as it has affected my friends and family. I commend you for volunteering for the American Cancer Society! Every purchase I make from Amazon (and I am order almost everything from there) there is a donation to the Lymphoma and Leukemia society. My comments have nothing whatsoever to do with people that need to wear hats. However, I think that you would agree that most of the men wearing ball caps inside of restaurants and other places are not doing so due to religious or medical reasons. To state that because some people are are sweaty and need to keep their baseball cap on is an insult to people that need to wear them.

Should mention that a few years ago an older singing group (wish that I could remember their name) was on Regent and the eldest (guessing that he was in his 80's) wore a hat and was asked to leave CR. I felt badly for him. There are good reasons for exceptions. Some people have to wear sneakers/tennis shoes due to feet issues and they should not be belittled or asked to leave a restaurant.

While it is not possible to identify people with issues that cause them to wear hats or tennis shoes, perhaps the dress code should acknowledge that exceptions are made for religious or medical reasons. Some people will still cheat and take advantage of it but, In my opinion, the majority will be respectful of the policy. If someone is wearing a hat at night (or tennis shoes), a quick word with the maitre 'd letting him/her know that they need to wear specific clothing for religious/medical reasons would insure that they are not bothered by Regent crew members.

Obviously there is no medical or religious reason to wear baseball caps (forward or backwards) nor are jeans needed for anything. To me, the issue comes down to respect. In this case, respect for Regent and their guidelines and policies.

I believe that you and I are on the same page but perhaps look at it a bit differently.

There is no mention of hats during the day in informal restaurants in the dress code. I understand your position against them, but it is a grey area in the printed dress code. So, although you know this...if not printed and shorts and jeans are allowed, it is not obvious to all.

There is no mention of hats during the day in informal restaurants in the dress code. I understand your position against them, but it is a grey area in the printed dress code. So, although you know this...if not printed and shorts and jeans are allowed, it is not obvious to all.

Agree that it is not obvious and some people are not asked to remove their hats while others are (at night). Almost anything goes during the day but the hat issue is just common courtesy.

On Oceania Regatta right now, and just noticed that it says baseball caps are completely acceptable in the grill ( like la Veranda on regent). Very interesting that they mention this specifically.

On Oceania Regatta right now, and just noticed that it says baseball caps are completely acceptable in the grill ( like la Veranda on regent). Very interesting that they mention this specifically.

Yes, and, as you know, shorts, jeans, overalls, etc are also allowed. For some reason people dressing down in La Veranda's equivalent restaurant isn't as annoying as people walking around the ship at night dressed in that way. Guess this may be typical of non-luxury cruise lines.