Venetian Vistas - How close are the Ports to main town/sightseeing area ?

We are off on the Venetian Vista cruise in July, but I am unable to find much information regarding reviews of the ports/docking locations for this cruise and particularly how close to the main town/sightseeing area we will be. I am trying to decide if we would be able to walk or will need to find transport if we are not taking a tour.

The ports of call are -Venice and Trieste - Italy / Dubrovnik, Zadar, Korcula, Split - Croatia and Bar, Montenegro

I can find information regarding Dubrovnik, but not too much for the other ports. Would welcome any information. We will be a family of four. Many thanks.

You will find lots of posts, with differing suggestions but here are mine,

We used the Thomson/Tui boat shuttle that dropped us off outside the Doges Palace, saving the time to actually see the most of Venice itself, you can of course DIY but this means either a walk or use the public transport - we just wanted the most time to visit what is a wonderful city. You can pre book St Marks Cathedral and Doges Palace and I would strongly advise doing this, the queues at both venues very long, but the pre booked queue just a short one - you will just love wandering around, something different at every turn and its very difficult to get lost - well signed. Just enjoy what is a magic city.

You can pre book the tickets as said online so you miss the queues.and if you buy a days water bus ticket you can go see murano. And burano which is my favourite place to visit, on the water bus you can take some cracking pictures, hope you have good cruise

Had Zadar as a port of call a few years ago. They had just opened a new cruise port terminal and it was the first time that a Thomson (TUI) ship had used the terminal. Prior to that the terminal situated close to the centre of Zadar.

The new terminal was a good distance outside of the old town of Zadar and there was a shuttle bus which would take people in and out to the town. I'm sure that there was a local charge for this (it was not Thomson running the service) but can't remember what it was. Think it took about 15-20 mins for the journey. The trip in was fine but unfortunately and probably due to the fact that this was the first time that this shuttle service was being trialled coming back was not well organised. We queued up at the correct place didn't get on the first shuttle as it was full, which was fine. There was then a long gap until the next shuttle arrived by which time a large queue had formed. This one stopped near the back of the queue and all the people there jumped on causing near mutiny from the people waiting at the front as there was no room for them. I would imagine that the process will be more streamlined now.

As an addition to the above. It would be good to know if this has changed for the better as we are on the Venetian Vistas in August this year and it would help make the decision whether or not to into town that day.

Edited by Broughton
wrong word

Thank you for your replies and information. We have been to Venice recently, so plan to explore closer to the Ship in the Cannargeio area - would it be possible to walk this ? Broughton I will post on my return regarding Zadar. Does anyone know anything about Korcula or Split regarding where we will dock ? Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Confirmation for Port of Zadar following on from Broughton's request. We have just returned from Venitian Vistas cruise and we purchased shuttle bus tickets for Zadar from Destination Services the day before at £7 per person. They are open tickets with no set times. There were several large buses waiting at the port, just handed ticket to the lady waiting at steps and walked straight on. Also we didn't have to wait too long for a bus back to the ship. It was a pleasant wander around the small town but probably our least favourite stop of the whole cruise. I hope this helps and have a great holiday.