Walking distance to Alaska shore excursions.

NewSalt

My neighbor will be on a Regent cruise to Alaska next month and asked me about the distance she will have to walk to get to the meeting place for excursions she has booked. While she does not generally use a cane or walker, she does have some mobility issues. Our Alaska cruise was on a larger ship and at that point we were completely able-bodied so that was not something that we had to consider, and it was three years ago, so we don’t have any clear memories of where the excursion groups assembled.

This will be her first cruise, and I’d like to be able to reassure her. As I recall, there were many older (read: my age) cruisers on our Alaska trip, so I don’t think she’ll be at a disadvantage. She’s chosen excursions that she feels comfortable with, but her concern is a long walk in port that would tire her out before she began them.

I’d appreciate any thoughts you have that might allay her fears, or, on the other hand, enable her to cancel ones that would be difficult for her to reach.

Thank you,

I can walk short distances. However, I have a portable electric scooter that I take on all cruises. I can keep up with everyone and it is stored under the bus when driving. She can contact Regent to find out how she can rent one. We take mine all over the world. Love the independence it offers me!

Sheila

We just returned from Mariner last week. Our experience was the same as Luv2Cruise1016 with the one exception being Skagway.

In Skagway a Princess ship had the close-in position on the pier, which left a bit of a walk for some excursions to get past port security where the tour meeting places were. There was a free shuttle running up and down the pier for those who didn’t want to walk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Currently in Alaska on Oceania and have been here many other times as well. My experience is like that of the previous poster. Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau are really very short walks. Skagway was pretty far. The other place that is a little farther is Seward.

My neighbor will be on a Regent cruise to Alaska next month and asked me about the distance she will have to walk to get to the meeting place for excursions she has booked. While she does not generally use a cane or walker, she does have some mobility issues. Our Alaska cruise was on a larger ship and at that point we were completely able-bodied so that was not something that we had to consider, and it was three years ago, so we don’t have any clear memories of where the excursion groups assembled.

This will be her first cruise, and I’d like to be able to reassure her. As I recall, there were many older (read: my age) cruisers on our Alaska trip, so I don’t think she’ll be at a disadvantage. She’s chosen excursions that she feels comfortable with, but her concern is a long walk in port that would tire her out before she began them.

I’d appreciate any thoughts you have that might allay her fears, or, on the other hand, enable her to cancel ones that would be difficult for her to reach.

Thank you,

Just returned from Alaska on Mariner. My husband can’t walk far. In all 4 ports he was able to get a shuttle, golf cart mostly from the gangway to wherever he was meeting his excursions. Just ask!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you to all of you who were kind enough to respond. I thought I remembered seeing some type of tram, but at this point in my life, I don't like to rely on just my memory.

I'm so glad I can put her mind at ease.