Soy Milk....

Pash81

Does anyone know if there is good access to soy milk on board? I’ll be traveling with my 15 month old and she drinks a good amount, do I need to bring my own? We will be on a 24 day cruise so this isn’t really ideal as it would require me to bring a lot! TIA!

I don't drink soy milk, but I seem to remember seeing it on the room service breakfast menu and also in the Lido (at least at breakfast). At other meals, I would expect a Lido steward would be able to get you a small (6-8 oz) carton if you asked.

Recently on 14'is day HAL cruises, it has seemed like the (cow) milk starts getting scarce after 11-12 days. I'm not sure about soy.

I would definitely e-mail HAL ship services (or if you booked through a travel agent, have them e-mail/call) and point out your desire for a stock of soy milk. That might help. If your cruise is at least 60-90 days out, they might be able to order extra for you. Otherwise, they might be able to put some aside for you. I haven't tried such things, but it could be possible.

Okay, great thanks for the info. I’ve just emailed my travel agent. I also remember them having some available but kind of remember it as being not very easy access. My cruise leaves on the 27 of June so I’m definitely cutting it close :)

I will note that sometimes I have visited the late night buffet around 11pm, and while there are usually no cartons of milk on display, I have tracked down and found food service stewards who would grab a carton from the fridge and hand it over to me.

Oh, and if your 24 day cruise is really two back to back 12 night voyages, then I would expect the ship to be restocked half way through. (And even if it is only one voyage, I think the HAL ships are generally scheduled to be restocked with provisions about once every 14 days. Or so I have heard.

Does anyone know if there is good access to soy milk on board? I’ll be traveling with my 15 month old and she drinks a good amount, do I need to bring my own? We will be on a 24 day cruise so this isn’t really ideal as it would require me to bring a lot! TIA!

Here is the phone number for HAL Ship Services to call and ask about soy milk: 1–800–541–1576

Photo from Zaandam two weeks ago showing soy milk in the Lido Market breakfast beverage line:

IMG_1973-2-1.jpg

Edited by Crew News

Some ships do not have refrigerators in all the cabins.

What ship are you on?

I’m on the Ms. Zuiderdam and that’s very interesting to know! I would always assume there would be a refrigerator in the room. I’m going to check this now...

Thanks everyone!

Good thing about soy milk packaging is you can bring your own if you want and store it on the cabin shelf, and put only the one you need for that day in the cooler if there is not enough room in the cooler for your full supply.

Good thing about soy milk packaging is you can bring your own if you want and store it on the cabin shelf, and put only the one you need for that day in the cooler if there is not enough room in the cooler for your full supply.

???

All the soy milk I used was not shelf sta ble and needs refrigeration. ( SiLK brand , and Trader Joe)

As shown in the above photo in Lido where the milk and juices are set out.

???

All the soy milk I used was not shelf sta ble and needs refrigeration. ( SiLK brand , and Trader Joe)

Both SILK and Trader Joe soy milks are shelf stable but need to be refrigerated once open. That's why it is cooled in the Lido.

Both SILK and Trader Joe soy milks are shelf stable but need to be refrigerated once open. That's why it is cooled in the Lido.

It is rather nasty if not chilled IMO

No argument there. We store it in a cupboard, but move a new container to the fridge when the open one is getting low.

good plan

What confuses me is Silk and TraderJoe's are both sold from refrig case whereas the shelf stable milk is sold from the shelf.

good plan

What confuses me is Silk and TraderJoe's are both sold from refrig case whereas the shelf stable milk is sold from the shelf.

I suspect that's for the same reason that wine stores keep some bottles refrigerated. As you said earlier, warm soy milk isn't very tasty, so maybe your store(s) keep it cool so that customers don't have to wait too long before drinking it. Amazon sells it on line, and to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have refrigerated shipping.

good plan

In the business we call shelf stable milk aseptic pack. No refrigeration till opened. I have seen Silk brand on the shelf also. I buy shelf stable in case hubby drinks all the milk.

???

Once the package is open, it needs to be refrigerated but our Trader Joe has all the non-dairy "milks" stacked up on the open shelves. Tastes better when chilled, which is why one would want to keep at least one of their own personal supply in the cooler I suspect. If they choose to bring their own.

I've seen soy milk, but I only drink almond or cashew milk. So my cruises are usually a vacation from cereal. Fortunately, they make great eggs Benedict. Now THAT's vacation time! (Um, double the ham, please.)

Crew News' photo of the Zaandam Lido shows almond milk as well as soy, so maybe you'll have better luck in future.