Need Help Planning Our Day in Genoa

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

We will be docking in Genoa in Italy next month onboard the MSC Seaview, and we cannot figure out what we want to do. I will be with my grandmother, who can spend long days off of the ship and doesn't mind the sun, but will not be able to do prolonged/direct harsh heat, or loads of steps. We have ruled out Portofino as a possible place to spend our time, as it is very expensive and touristy. We also do not want to see the Aquarium or Biodome, because it's not of interest to either of us. What we want to do is either visit a town like Camogli, or even venture out to the Cinque Terre, or do some kind of cooking tour/demonstration, as my grandmother loves to cook. We would prefer something guided, however we are not opposed to doing something on our own, as long as we will be able to do it as Americans that do not speak Italian. I have asked in the Port of Call forums a few times and have received almost no responses, so I decided to just ask on the MSC board, hopeful of a response. Can someone please let me know how you spent your day in Genoa, and how we could replicate it? Thank you in advance! :)

we have a stop in Genoa also and are using a variety of online resources to research what's available including viator dot com and get your guide dot com, both of which offer better prices than ship excursions, and also get better reviews. Hope that helps and have fun planning your shore trip!

We will be in Genoa in Sept. The options I am considering are the hop on hop off bus, a short 'Genoa by Sea' boat tour of the harbor, and a food tour.

I cannot recommend any of these because I haven't yet been on any of them yet, but these are the specific excursions I'm looking at, if that is any help.

Genoa

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com/excursion/genoa-city-sightseeing-hop-on-hop-off-tour-38575#/more-info

https://www.liguriaviamare.it/en/news-4/genoa-by-the-sea-2018.html

https://www.viator.com/tours/Genoa/Ancient-Tastes-of-Genoa-Including-Food-and-Drink-Samples/d805-5965P19?subPageType=important-info

We will be in Genoa in Sept. The options I am considering are the hop on hop off bus, a short 'Genoa by Sea' boat tour of the harbor, and a food tour.

I cannot recommend any of these because I haven't yet been on any of them yet, but these are the specific excursions I'm looking at, if that is any help.

Genoa

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com/excursion/genoa-city-sightseeing-hop-on-hop-off-tour-38575#/more-info

https://www.liguriaviamare.it/en/news-4/genoa-by-the-sea-2018.html

https://www.viator.com/tours/Genoa/Ancient-Tastes-of-Genoa-Including-Food-and-Drink-Samples/d805-5965P19?subPageType=important-info

Thank you, I'll take a look at these! We may end up just winging it in Genoa, seeing what there is off the ship tour wise and just enjoying the local area. I'm thinking we should invest our money in Messina and Marseille instead of Genoa.

I am pleased you asked this question as we are also on the Seaview at the end of July and Genoa is the port we are most struggling with as far as excursions are concerned. Thank you to those that have answered. I still have not found anything that appeals.

We are interested in visiting Portofino but equally interested in Camogli, Rapallo and SantaMargherita.

The ship excursion offers a boat trip to Portofino and then spend 4 hours there and only for passengers in transit. Cruisingexcursions.com has no availability for the date we are in port (unless we want to take a private car for the extortionate amount of 748 euros for 3 adults).

We have ruled out Cinque Terre as we do not feel this will be achievable in the time available.

To those that have been to Genoa....is it easy to find taxis/tours at the port ? Any ideas ?

We did Genoa last year and went to Santa Margherita Liguria and Portofino on public transport without speaking any Italian! Its very easy, the train station is easy walking from the port, you take the train to Santa Margherita, its about 30 minutes, when you get off, you walk down the hill to the town where theres numerous little buses to Portofino. Even if you think you dont want to go there, the journey is stunningly beautiful and if you go early, you will arrive in Portofino before the tourists arrive. We had coffee there and then took the bus back to Santa Margherita, its a beautiful destination in itself, a lovely harbour with beautiful walks, cafes etc. After time spent there, we took the train back to Genoa. This is all very easy and very cheap, if you have an elderly person, then it is a bit uphill back to the train station, maybe take a taxi to there. And check the return train times when you are leaving the train station, they are about every 30 minutes. We found there was plenty of time to do this journey, and Santa Margherita was just as interesting as Portofino. The beauty of this coastline is truly spectacular.

We did Genoa last year and went to Santa Margherita Liguria and Portofino on public transport without speaking any Italian! Its very easy, the train station is easy walking from the port, you take the train to Santa Margherita, its about 30 minutes, when you get off, you walk down the hill to the town where theres numerous little buses to Portofino. Even if you think you dont want to go there, the journey is stunningly beautiful and if you go early, you will arrive in Portofino before the tourists arrive. We had coffee there and then took the bus back to Santa Margherita, its a beautiful destination in itself, a lovely harbour with beautiful walks, cafes etc. After time spent there, we took the train back to Genoa. This is all very easy and very cheap, if you have an elderly person, then it is a bit uphill back to the train station, maybe take a taxi to there. And check the return train times when you are leaving the train station, they are about every 30 minutes. We found there was plenty of time to do this journey, and Santa Margherita was just as interesting as Portofino. The beauty of this coastline is truly spectacular.

How much did the trains and buses end up costing you per person? Which train station in Genoa did you go to?

Not sure of the cost but cheap, somewhere between 10 - 20 euro for both trips per person. For the train station, its the main (Centro I think) in Genoa, when you leave the port, you walk through a troundabout, and head to the right, I think there are some steps too. Its about 7 minutes walk; Be careful on the way back since there are more than one stop in Genoa but just ask, people are very helpful even if you dont speak Italian.

How much did the trains and buses end up costing you per person? Which train station in Genoa did you go to?

Trains are very common and cheap in Italy. One-way ticket with Trenitalia 2nd class from Genoa to Portofina starts at 3.60 Euro per person.