Koningsdam Promenade deck

MISTER 67

I know that the Koningsdam has the new style promenade deck that have the life boats at the same level but are there any steamer deck chairs on the deck at all. One of the joys of cruising is hanging out on the promenade deck with good book watching the ocean go by.

Thanks for posting that video Fouremco! I am sure is a disappointment to not have deck chairs there, but I have a feeling there are plenty of outdoor sitting options to enjoy elsewhere. One thing that surprises me, however, is how narrow the walkway is in places. Still glad they have the full walk around deck!

Horrible design ....looks like an afterthought of some brilliant folks whose task was to squeeze in extra rooms and/or revenue spaces while cutting back on an "amenity" that was an important area of relaxation, exercise, and solitude to many guests.

Thank you, Mister 67 for your question. Since my wife and I will be travelling on this ship in January, I was curious about the design of this new ship. Thanks, also, for the thoughtful responses to your question. As an infrequent visitor to this site, I am very pleased when I don't have to "wade through" stuff that has been discussed in the past. It's a real kindness to provide good information (and easily accessible) to folks like me.

Ugh, we will be on the NS in January, our first HAL cruise, and I must say that I prefer having life boats above our heads when walking the promenade on Princess ships. I'd take obstructed OV cabins over an obstructed promenade any day.

I know that the Koningsdam has the new style promenade deck that have the life boats at the same level but are there any steamer deck chairs on the deck at all. One of the joys of cruising is hanging out on the promenade deck with good book watching the ocean go by.

It's a weird promenade deck on a weird ship.

If a lounger on the prom is important to you then you may want another ship; but then you would miss the beauty and uniqueness of this wonderful ship. It truly is one of our favorites. If you are open to new things it is worth it. If you find comfort in familiarity then it may not be for you.

Have they put up "one way" directional signs yet on the promenade? We've been on her twice and enjoyed walking laps to burn off calories on sea days. Unfortunately as folks have noted, it gets a little tight around the bow and stern. We've always thought if they would just post directional signs, like they have on some of their other ships, that would help minimize the congestion on both ends where it is only 5 feet wide in some places. But all we can do if fill out the suggestion form and we did on both cruises. Just curious if they've ever put them up yet?

Is there an outdoor space with deck chairs that is shady and quiet for readers? The promenade deck always offered a cool breeze even in warm weather.
There's plenty of loungers on deck 11 aft, above the Tamarind, and some will be in the shade whichever way the ship is facing, but you don't get the nice ocean views from there.

Our experience on the K'dam was that there was lots of outdoor space with deck chairs, sometimes shady depending on the time of day and relative directions of the ship and sun, but few were quiet for readers. If we wanted quiet and a nice view of the sea, we'd head to our balcony.

Is there an outdoor space with deck chairs that is shady and quiet for readers? The promenade deck always offered a cool breeze even in warm weather.

I found The Retreat perfect for shady and quiet.

Have they put up "one way" directional signs yet on the promenade? We've been on her twice and enjoyed walking laps to burn off calories on sea days. Unfortunately as folks have noted, it gets a little tight around the bow and stern. We've always thought if they would just post directional signs, like they have on some of their other ships, that would help minimize the congestion on both ends where it is only 5 feet wide in some places. But all we can do if fill out the suggestion form and we did on both cruises. Just curious if they've ever put them up yet?

Not when we were on in March. I actually suggested it to Erin, the cruise director. MOST walk the same direction but there is always that guy who doesn’t. On most ships that no big woo but on this one it can be a real problem as not only are there narrow parts but also many blind corners.

Not when we were on in March. I actually suggested it to Erin, the cruise director. MOST walk the same direction but there is always that guy who doesn’t. On most ships that no big woo but on this one it can be a real problem as not only are there narrow parts but also many blind corners.

A few years ago, there was a long thread debating whether clockwise or counter-clockwise was the "proper" direction for a stroll on the promenade deck. Lots of interesting justifications on both sides of the debate, but I don't recall if there was any indication of a HAL or Captain's preference.

A few years ago, there was a long thread debating whether clockwise or counter-clockwise was the "proper" direction for a stroll on the promenade deck. Lots of interesting justifications on both sides of the debate, but I don't recall if there was any indication of a HAL or Captain's preference.

It doesn't matter which way the arrow points. HAL just needs to post them somewhere. It just makes sense and there is absolutely no excuse why they don't. Even if no one follows it, and you know there will be a few, at least HAL would be demonstrating they at least understand the issue.

So Kirk, what did your CD say?

Maybe, on a promenade where one-way walking would be much more beneficial, there would also be more people asking that it be enforced. HAL might prefer not to post a walking direction if it’s likely to result in the staff handling complaints about noncompliant walkers.

Maybe, on a promenade where one-way walking would be much more beneficial, there would also be more people asking that it be enforced. HAL might prefer not to post a walking direction if it’s likely to result in the staff handling complaints about noncompliant walkers.

HAL has it posted on both the Amsterdam as well as the Veendam promenades, so it's not a new concept to them. But that's OK, no big deal. We'll just continue giving those few going in the opposite direction of the majority weird looks.