Victoria Abkhazi Garden

We leave for our cruise this week. First cruise ever! I’m wondering if anyone has been to the Abkhazi garden in Victoria? We are signed up to go and I think I’m having last minute nerves about the excursions I’ve selected.

We leave for our cruise this week. First cruise ever! I’m wondering if anyone has been to the Abkhazi garden in Victoria? We are signed up to go and I think I’m having last minute nerves about the excursions I’ve selected.

It is small. Assuming your probably doing at the tea house there. The key advantage is it is in the city.

Butchard Gardens is much larger. However it is a good drive out of the city to get there.

What do you like to do. If you are in to touring botanical gardens then you probably want the Butchard Gardens. If you are not there are other things you could do.

If you would like to some shopping, walk around the downtown core and marina of a very old but lovely city and look at architecture then pass on all the excursions.

You will be docked at Ogdon Point (you can search for it in google maps). You can just walk off the ship. All the streets in that neighborhood are safe and quite a nice residential area. Within a 10 minute walk you can be a fisherman wharf or the inner harbour. The inner harbour is anchored by 100+ year old buildings. The provincial legislature building, hotels, cafes, art galleries, shops and museums.

The only thing I'd add is re: the fact you said you were 'signed up to go'? Sounds like a prebooked excursion, either through the ship or independently. Either way so that you have the full data to make an informed choice - Abkhazi is a short cab ride away, ~$15 on the meter, you could walk it if you are in decent shape (a pleasant stroll of 3 miles passing the very nice Beacon Hill park on the way). Costs etc. can be found on their website here. Compare these numbers (NB: in Canadian!) with whatever you're paying for the excursion to see if perhaps you should do it completely independently instead!

• 2 weeks later...