Cruise Clothing

Missylove

This seems like a lot of clothes lolol. What are water socks? I was going to wear flops to the pool and I only have 1 bathing suit. I have a lot of this stuff on my list but not all of it. I'm going to lay everything out and assign a day so that I know how to incorporate dresses. I don't plan to eat in the dining room every night and I really only planned to take 2 pair of dress pants with blouses for the formal nights. Thanks for the detailed reply I love it!! :)
Water socks are shoes that you can wear in the pool or beach to protect your feet. They're mostly mesh on the top and foam-like around the sides of the foot. There's usually grips on the bottom. When you're done with them, leave them out to dry and they'll be dry again usually within an hour.

And you're welcome for the reply. 17 cruises has taught me to pack extras in case something happens to the clothes. I'm not the most graceful person on earth, so I'll usually spill something on my clothes (and with my luck, on a formal dress!). Hence why the water socks as well, even in the pool!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

Water socks are shoes that you can wear in the pool or beach to protect your feet. They're mostly mesh on the top and foam-like around the sides of the foot. There's usually grips on the bottom. When you're done with them, leave them out to dry and they'll be dry again usually within an hour.

And you're welcome for the reply. 17 cruises has taught me to pack extras in case something happens to the clothes. I'm not the most graceful person on earth, so I'll usually spill something on my clothes (and with my luck, on a formal dress!). Hence why the water socks as well, even in the pool!

Ooooooh the water shoes!! I know what those are :D Yea I'm trying to plan my clothes out accordingly. It's been a lot of work but fun at the same time since it's my first cruise. I'm almost done putting together my clothes though.

Ooooooh the water shoes!! I know what those are :D Yea I'm trying to plan my clothes out accordingly. It's been a lot of work but fun at the same time since it's my first cruise. I'm almost done putting together my clothes though.
You might want to section off a part of your closet for the clothes you want to take. Once they're altogether, then all you have to do is throw them in the suitcase! My next cruise is only 8 months away so once I do the laundry from last week's cruise I'll set aside the dresses I used this time in my cruise section of the closet and then just decide on the rest as it gets closer to the cruise date.

You might want to section off a part of your closet for the clothes you want to take. Once they're altogether, then all you have to do is throw them in the suitcase! My next cruise is only 8 months away so once I do the laundry from last week's cruise I'll set aside the dresses I used this time in my cruise section of the closet and then just decide on the rest as it gets closer to the cruise date.

Yea I actually have my cruise clothes in one area since its all mostly new stuff. I didn't really have a lot of stuff to wear so I had to start from scratch.

For women, my SO reduces the number of dresses and tops she takes, by taking a number of scarves. Same top, different scarf = different outfit.

Also, look at dresses and tops that are easy to wash in the sink and dry quickly.

No need for a completely different outfit twice a day.

I just returned from a 9 day cruise on Celebrity. As a caveat, we are Elite on Celebrity so get one free bag of laundry each on the cruise. As I mentioned before, we are mid-70's, so beach wear is not in our planning. We do take bathing suit just in case... My carryon had a pair of shorts, pair of capris, pair of long pants, and I was wearing jeans as I find planes and airports chilly. We also flew in the day before so what we wore to travel was what we wore to board. Then it went into the laundry basket/closet until we left the ship again in Miami. I changed it up this trip and took two long cotton dresses for 'chic' nights, three cotton muumuu type dresses for sea days, as there were four. I also wore those dresses to dinner on port days. Five t-shirts, two of which I did not wear. Four pair shoes, wore the sneakers, and took sandals for around the ship, sandals to port days, sandals for evening. Long sleeve shirt to use as coverup in lounges. WE sweated our butts off in Key West, so third day, out went a bag of laundry. Two sea days then the ABC islands. T-shirts/capris there and therefore the 7th day laundry went out again. I could have left out two shirts, and two dresses. Perhaps a pair of sandals. Always take the sneakers as closed toe shoes, because they are usually required if you want to do a behind the scenes tour, or get invited to the bow for sailaway. As I said before, we don't hang out on beaches or by the pool. But if we did, the bag would be even lighter, just two bathing suits and a coverup. WE like the planning and traveling light. But my hairdresses likes to take a lots of dressy things, as she does not get to wear them much at home, and she likes to dress up. EM

I'm about to go on a 14-day cruise and this is about what I'm bringing. I wouldn't pack this much for a 7-day cruise. Also, if I'm not getting all sweaty, I'll wear the daytime outfit to dinner. I usually cruise Princess, Carnival or Royal and don't "dress for dinner" unless it's formal night or I'm going to the steakhouse. That said, I don't wear cut-offs and tank tops during the day, so I'm always in something that would suffice for the main dining room at night.

I also never wear gowns anymore. I don't even plan on bringing a gown on Crystal next year. I have 2 LBDs that I can dress up or down and have brought one on a long cruise that goes from day to night nicely.

missylove, what cruise line will you be on?

Going on Royal Caribbean. So is formal night the same as that Captains event or is that a separate event?

Goodness gracious...you don't have to wear a different thing every night! Noone will be counting. If anyone was to comment about wearing the same thing two or three times, I would just say 'it's my favorite and I wear it as often as I can'. EM

• 3 weeks later...
I just returned from a 9 day cruise on Celebrity. As a caveat, we are Elite on Celebrity so get one free bag of laundry each on the cruise. As I mentioned before, we are mid-70's, so beach wear is not in our planning. We do take bathing suit just in case... My carryon had a pair of shorts, pair of capris, pair of long pants, and I was wearing jeans as I find planes and airports chilly. We also flew in the day before so what we wore to travel was what we wore to board. Then it went into the laundry basket/closet until we left the ship again in Miami. I changed it up this trip and took two long cotton dresses for 'chic' nights, three cotton muumuu type dresses for sea days, as there were four. I also wore those dresses to dinner on port days. Five t-shirts, two of which I did not wear. Four pair shoes, wore the sneakers, and took sandals for around the ship, sandals to port days, sandals for evening. Long sleeve shirt to use as coverup in lounges. WE sweated our butts off in Key West, so third day, out went a bag of laundry. Two sea days then the ABC islands. T-shirts/capris there and therefore the 7th day laundry went out again. I could have left out two shirts, and two dresses. Perhaps a pair of sandals. Always take the sneakers as closed toe shoes, because they are usually required if you want to do a behind the scenes tour, or get invited to the bow for sailaway. As I said before, we don't hang out on beaches or by the pool. But if we did, the bag would be even lighter, just two bathing suits and a coverup. WE like the planning and traveling light. But my hairdresses likes to take a lots of dressy things, as she does not get to wear them much at home, and she likes to dress up. EM
Thanks Essiesmom! This was super helpful. We are doing the 14 day Panama full transit. I have been tempted to overbuy.

BJ

Sent from my SM-T820 using Forums mobile app

no way to jeans and no to heavy leggings. I flew with a cardigan that I could also use on the ship at night if I got chilly.

The one thing I found was not enough underwear. I wear one thing to breakfast, something differnon on an excursion, come back and hit the pool then dinner attire and I found myself changing clothes so much and changing underwear every time and ran out on my 3rd day of a 7 day cruise and had to do laundry! Next cruise I just planned to have a bag of socks, underwear and tshirts laundered so I didn't have to pack so much!

Why would you change underwear every time you change clothes????

Sometimes, a person will perspire and the underpants can get quite damp and even smelly. Not everyone wears a bathing suit all day, and some excursions are quite physical and sweaty.

But 3 sets per DAY?

But anyway, you can wash them in the sink. Most women's dry fairly quickly.

For men, they make travel underwear that dries overnight. You can get them from Travel Smith or Magellan. Also, the Duluth Trading Company Bare Naked underwear dries VERY quickly (I find faster than the "travel" ones).

But 3 sets per DAY?

But anyway, you can wash them in the sink. Most women's dry fairly quickly.

For men, they make travel underwear that dries overnight. You can get them from Travel Smith or Magellan. Also, the Duluth Trading Company Bare Naked underwear dries VERY quickly (I find faster than the "travel" ones).

I wasn't going to say it, but was thinking it. I pack one pair per day + 1 or 2 extras just in cast. But 3x sounds like a big waste of space lol.