Issues with passports

kaseyj79

When we first booked I was told by my Carnival agent that we didn't need passports, but then people kept telling me we did need them. I decided to play it safe, and my husband and I applied for the books. I have mine, but there was an issue with his. We leave town on Sept 29 and the passport center is closed due to hurricane Florence. If my husband ends up not getting his in time will he be ok to travel? We will be sailing on the Horizon Sept 30 going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This is a first cruise for both of us, so I feel like we are very clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The passport office has his birth certificate. I only have a copy that I made before mailing it. They said they had to have to original.

And, if you're flying (even domestically), you will need a "Real ID"'driver's license (staring soon here in California) if you don't have a valid passport.

We are in KY and we haven't reached that deadline yet. That's another reason I decided to go w/ passports for both of us. The passport center said it might be another week before they are open again. This is a disaster.

And, if you're flying (even domestically), you will need a "Real ID"'driver's license (staring soon here in California) if you don't have a valid passport.

REAL ID won't be needed to fly until October 10, 2018 at the earliest. (And I say "at the earliest" because every time they've run up to a deadline the government has pushed it off so as to not cause a major disruption in people's ability to travel by air.)

It looks like the OP will be back before that deadline so they can still use a non-compliant drivers license.

REAL ID won't be needed to fly until October 10, 2018 at the earliest. (And I say "at the earliest" because every time they've run up to a deadline the government has pushed it off so as to not cause a major disruption in people's ability to travel by air.)

It looks like the OP will be back before that deadline so they can still use a non-compliant drivers license.

Thanks -couldn't remember the "start" date. Passport card works too (domestic only).

We are in KY and we haven't reached that deadline yet. That's another reason I decided to go w/ passports for both of us. The passport center said it might be another week before they are open again. This is a disaster.

Any chance the birth certificate can be returned right away?

Any chance the birth certificate can be returned right away?

I won’t know anything until the processing center opens back up and from what we were told on Sat that may not be until the end of the week. If they aren’t back before Fri this only gives them 4 business days to get us anything. You’d think in 2018 they would be able to help us electronically from another agency. If we can’t go because of this it will be horrible.

Virginia does not even start issuing the REAL ID until October so there is bound to be push backs.

The passport office has his birth certificate. I only have a copy that I made before mailing it. They said they had to have to original.

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photo copy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

https://www.carnival.com/help (from 'What travel documents do I need to bring?')

If you can not go and get a birth certificate in person...

I just had to get a marriage license (from the east coast and Im on the west coast) and used a company called Vital Records (hope Im allowed to post that).

I ordered the certficiate on Tuesday, paid the expedited search & mail. Wednesday I had notice the item was being shipped. I had it at my door on Friday.

In addition to that, I am leaving on Sept 25. I originally ordered my passport regular. I started my process it seems like 90 days ago. 10 days after sending the passport center the last paperwork they requested, I still didnt have my passport.

I called them last Monday. Upgraded to expedited. Both process & mailing (cost me another $70.00) but I was thinking there is no way I can wait any longer. So for me it was not an option.

The woman on the phone when I upgraded told me she indicated in the system I needed it by the 22nd. Make sure they put in at least 3-4 days before you actually need it. The extra worry will drive you nuts.

She also did say if they accepted the expedite request (I guess they dont have to, if something is still outstanding). She said once I saw it on the site and I saw my card charged, then I was good.

If I didnt see it updated on the site the same day I requested not to freak out, it usally took a day or so. If I didnt see it within 72 hours to call them back again.

I upgraded on Monday, saw the passport processing center change my online status on Tuesday, received notice on Wednesday it was being mailed. Received a tracking # for USPS and I received it Saturday.

I know refer to my passport as the Gold Passport. Saying for what I paid for it, the darn thing had better be made out of gold...LOL

I called the National Passport Center to do the above. So try to get ahold of them again.

In the meantime...

Call Carnival again and ask again if you need it. Make sure to get a full name of the representative. Even ask to speak to a supervisor, if you feel the representative is at all uncertain. Also check Carnivals website.

If none of the above work and the passport place has all the papers they need, ask to get an in person appointment for your husbands passport. It appears you can do this if it is within 2 weeks of your travel. I would request now, dont wait for 2 weeks.

My friend just had to do this. She had to travel to LA or San Diego. San Diego is further and that is where they required her to go. She went, had her appointment and had to go back 3 days later to pick up her passport. And they were very specific that she couldnt pick it up until 3:30 pm on that day.

She tried earlier and nope, 3:30 it was. This was just a few days before she was getting on a plane to Rome.

So it can all be done....as long as the correct paperwork is in the hands of the processing center.

Hope that helps...

From what Fishywood cut-pasted, you were genius to make that copy!

Sounds like that will save the day and the cruise. And the passport may come through, especially now that you can relax about it.

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photo copy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

https://www.carnival.com/help (from 'What travel documents do I need to bring?')

Should your passport not be returned in time the photocopy will work. Carnival told you correctly from the beginning, for this cruise you don't need a passport. (Whether it's advisable for you to have one is a different question but for most people the risk of traveling without a passport is extremely low.)

I won’t know anything until the processing center opens back up and from what we were told on Sat that may not be until the end of the week. If they aren’t back before Fri this only gives them 4 business days to get us anything. You’d think in 2018 they would be able to help us electronically from another agency. If we can’t go because of this it will be horrible.

If everything has been reviewed and entered, they could print the book at another center.

However, once the review and enter everything, the print the book right then and there.

So the issue is, that the physical papers are at that office, and that if the office is closed (and people are dealing with their own homes), there is no way to magically move them to another office.

Best thing is, contact the passport folks, let them know that you are traveling on X date, and see about expediting your husband's passport.

Once they open, they can process it the same day, and ship it out overnight.

It may cost you extra.

I was able to confirm with Carnival a copy of my husbands birth certificate will work. Thank God I made one before mailing the original to Charleston.

The passport customer service line told me we can go to Chicago and get one right then and there, but with our work schedules we can’t drive 7 hrs one way between now and next Fri.

We are just going to have to go w the flow at this point. At least we know we don’t have to cancel because of it.

What is this Real ID? This is the 1st I'm hearing about it. A regular DL is no longer real ID, or what??

"For travelers, the real need begins Oct. 1, 2020, when you must have a federally compliant license or other form of identification, such as a passport, to board an airplane. Other IDs that will get you on a plane can be seen at the Transportation Security Administration website​​​​​​."

dr'spin got his RealID CA driver's license in June. The requirements are: Proof of ID, Proof of SSN, and Proof of California residence. And show up in person. However, my license is OK'd to renew on-line/by mail, and I have little problems with each of the three reqs (passport is about to be sent in for a new one, my SS card is not certified, I don't have a W-2, and nothing from the residence is in my name)!

I will just take my soon to be new passport with me on any flights after 2020.

ETA: I could use a tax or utility bill with my husband's name on it AND our marriage license, just to ease anyone else's mind.

I was able to confirm with Carnival a copy of my husbands birth certificate will work. Thank God I made one before mailing the original to Charleston.

The passport customer service line told me we can go to Chicago and get one right then and there, but with our work schedules we can’t drive 7 hrs one way between now and next Fri.

We are just going to have to go w the flow at this point. At least we know we don’t have to cancel because of it.

I’m so glad you got a response from Carnival. Did they email you that confirmation or do you have a case number or agent’s name?

To those who turned the post into a Real ID discussion, a new thread about that might be in order.

I’m so glad you got a response from Carnival. Did they email you that confirmation or do you have a case number or agent’s name?

To those who turned the post into a Real ID discussion, a new thread about that might be in order.

There's really no need for having the person's name, this information is clearly stated in their FAQ.