How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

Just as it says how do I buy stock in carnival ! Im a old FF-EMTIV / farmer so Im not a money man but will invest in something I love !!!!

Stick to farming, you invest with your head not your heart. Also, most reputable FAs will advise your portfolio be at least $100K before you consider buying individual issues. Below $100K, you need the diversity of a mutual fund or at least a vastly diversified cos such as GE. That said, any online broker (I like Fidelity), fund your sweep acct, make your purchase. You'll be charged a fee when you buy + when you sell. Also, takes 3 days for the proceeds of a stock sale to go thru "settlement" before they're available. I like to look at 1 year charts, find a trading range, buy lo + sell high. If you invest with your heart, you'll do just the opposite and loose another piece of your anatomy in the lower posterior area.

• Like 1

Stick to farming, you invest with your head not your heart. Also, most reputable FAs will advise your portfolio be at least $100K before you consider buying individual issues. Below $100K, you need the diversity of a mutual fund or at least a vastly diversified cos such as GE. That said, any online broker (I like Fidelity), fund your sweep acct, make your purchase. You'll be charged a fee when you buy + when you sell. Also, takes 3 days for the proceeds of a stock sale to go thru "settlement" before they're available. I like to look at 1 year charts, find a trading range, buy lo + sell high. If you invest with your heart, you'll do just the opposite and loose another piece of your anatomy in the lower posterior area.

Your advice has many many flaws beginning with the implication that you need $100k before you consider buying individual issues. Any FA that recommends that should not be considered.

Your advice has many many flaws beginning with the implication that you need $100k before you consider buying individual issues. Any FA that recommends that should not be considered.

Let's hear em...........we got time! ;)

• Like 1

A recommendation like that is due to the fact that most people can't or won't do proper research before investing in individual stocks, might make emotional decisions with regard to trades, etc. It also depends on how critical the money being invested is - if it's all that a person has to live on, that's taking on a lot of risk by buying individual stocks.

I own Carnival stock, but it's part of my "play" money portfolio...if it got wiped out completely, I'd be ok.

Edited by emelvee

You'll do ok investing on your own without a broker , Go with Scottrade

$7.00 to buy $7.00 to sell , $500.00 will open you an account ,add to it as you like . Just invest what you are confortable with . Have'nt looked at Carnival stock price lately 100 shares are around $3500.00

Just as it says how do I buy stock in carnival ! Im a old FF-EMTIV / farmer so Im not a money man but will invest in something I love !!!!

Good for you. Follow the advice posted here about discount brokers. Investing; NEVER act on tips, buy companies you know and like and always be prepared to go long. The market swings but good stocks always come back. You didn't say if you want to buy 100 shares for the owners credit but if that's the thought and you cruise even once a year at todays price you get around 3% return on your investment.

DO you get any other benefits for owning stock in Carnival as a customer? Other than selling when its high later on.

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! :D

I don't think that I'd buy stock in Carnival just for the OBC.

IF you only cruise once a year then under 3% is not a great return,especially since there is no guarantee that the stock price will remain the same!

IF the stock drops 1 point you've lost your $100.

For us there are investments and then there's the "play money stocks" for trading. IF you have NO investments then I doubt that you'd want to "play" with your money soooo I wouldn't suggest buying the stock without a plan.

Emelvee,

Can you tell me where a person finds info on the perks of stock ownership and the restrictions to receive this. I have tried to find it on their website but have been unsuccessful, and I would like to find out the amounts you receive etc. We have several cruises booked for 2013, and once owned RCL stock but they started to restrict how you received credits, so I waited till it went over what I had paid and sold it.

I apologize, but I do not know what an "FF-EMTIV" is, but I know what a farmer is, and unless your farming is stuck in the 1930s, you are likely a savvy individual who hopefully uses the latest methods, technology and machinery.

You must be a "money man" in some way, eh?

I agree with some of the thoughts above, but if you have the excess cash (I believe you need to buy 100 shares of the stock), and you love the cruise line, and will cruise them somewhat frequently, then just go for it.

E Trade, Scott trade, TD Ameritrade (I use TD), just go on line and open an account. You can transfer the funds from your banking account (it's safe to do!)

Once you learn the software, just put in a "market" order for 100 shares of the stock (just be sure you have enough money in the account to cover it).

If you want to be fancy, put in a "limit" order. This is one where they will not purchase the stock for you unless it is at the price you want.

Example, today, at this moment, CCL is at $37.29. If you put in a market order you might get it at $37.29, or maybe $37.31. Not a big deal.

If you put in a limit order, you will specify the price that you are willing to pay. Say, $36.50. The order might take an hour or even a week to "execute", but you'll save money.

I always trade with limit orders. If you just want the stock, put the limit order in at what you see is the current price. It will likely execute within seconds. From there, the stock goes up or down!

Right now, and over the past 12 months, CCL stock is trending upward, but will have day-to-day fluctuations. Frankly, the stock is not much more below where it was 5 years ago! They also pay a dividend, which is not bad either.

Edited by loubetti

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! :D

Well I guess the OBC would be more useful than using it as wallpaper. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the people whom listen to your advice.

• Like 1

You'll do ok investing on your own without a broker , Go with Scottrade

$7.00 to buy $7.00 to sell , $500.00 will open you an account ,add to it as you like . Just invest what you are confortable with . Have'nt looked at Carnival stock price lately 100 shares are around $3500.00

That's exactly what we did. I researched online brokers and liked Scottrade the best. For $7.00, I opened an account and purchased 100 CCL shares.

DH and I were figuring out the interest we are earning. With quarterly dividends of $25, plus the special $50 we are getting for this past quarter, plus the number of OBCs we have received, we are earning somewhere in the 25+% range. That's much better than all our other accounts combined!

That's exactly what we did. I researched online brokers and liked Scottrade the best. For $7.00, I opened an account and purchased 100 CCL shares.

DH and I were figuring out the interest we are earning. With quarterly dividends of $25, plus the special $50 we are getting for this past quarter, plus the number of OBCs we have received, we are earning somewhere in the 25+% range. That's much better than all our other accounts combined!

More like 2.5 %

That's nice, but folks need to know that prices can and will go down.

November 2007 - Carnival trades at $47

February 2009 - only 15 months later - Carnival trades at $18

That's a $2900 loss in 15 months on 100 shares and you would still not be even today!

Bottom line.... as someone else has said, if you don't know how to buy stocks... don't. Learn what you are doing first!

I apologize, but I do not know what an "FF-EMTIV" is, but I know what a farmer is, and unless your farming is stuck in the 1930s, you are likely a savvy individual who hopefully uses the latest methods, technology and machinery.

You must be a "money man" in some way, eh?

I agree with some of the thoughts above, but if you have the excess cash (I believe you need to buy 100 shares of the stock), and you love the cruise line, and will cruise them somewhat frequently, then just go for it.

E Trade, Scott trade, TD Ameritrade (I use TD), just go on line and open an account. You can transfer the funds from your banking account (it's safe to do!)

Once you learn the software, just put in a "market" order for 100 shares of the stock (just be sure you have enough money in the account to cover it).

If you want to be fancy, put in a "limit" order. This is one where they will not purchase the stock for you unless it is at the price you want.

Example, today, at this moment, CCL is at $37.29. If you put in a market order you might get it at $37.29, or maybe $37.31. Not a big deal.

If you put in a limit order, you will specify the price that you are willing to pay. Say, $36.50. The order might take an hour or even a week to "execute", but you'll save money.

I always trade with limit orders. If you just want the stock, put the limit order in at what you see is the current price. It will likely execute within seconds. From there, the stock goes up or down!

You do not EVER put in an order to buy or sell using a market order. NEVER!

You do not EVER put in an order to buy or sell using a market order. NEVER!

Not true and sounds like something Cramer would say.

There are times when you should use a market order. For example, you need to close out a position by the end of the day. By all means use a market order or you may be hung out to dry.

What you don't mention is a simple thing to do... check out the spread between the bid and asked prices.

In many cases, it will only be a penny - say 36.78 bid and 36.79 asked. Are you going to fool around for a $1 saving on 100 shares? I think not.

On the other hand, lets say the spread is 20 cents - say 36.78 bid and 36.98 asked. In that case, a limit order would be justified.

I agree with loubetty. I placed an order for 100 shares at 34.50 on my brokers advise. I wish I had just bought at the time I placed the order as it was trading at around $36. Now it is in the $38 range. You have to figure, 100 shares at $38=$3800, we cruise an average of once a year which would net us $100 OBC each year. Say we kept the stock and cruised for 10 years, 10yrs.X$100=$1000. Recently CCL has paid a .25 dividend each quarter, .25 x 4 (quarters in a year) x 100 shares =$100 per year x 10 years = $1000. NOW

$3800

-$1000

-$1000

_______

$2800 If CCL stock dropped to $28, 10 years from now, and you sold your shares, you would brake even, minus brokerage fees. I assume you can guess if you cruise more often you'll come out farther ahead. Also things change. The stock could go into the crapper, dividend payments could change, also it is up to CCL board of directors whether or not to give the OBC for stockholders. It is voted on each year. It could go up, down, or away. Thats why the market is a gamble.

All this being said I sure wish I had bought the stock when Princess and Carnival merged (all Carnival subsidiaries enjoy this perk, and we like Princess) I WILL have it by next May when we cruise next.