Helsinki or more time in St Petersburg?

sjde

We are looking at different Baltic cruises. One -a Celebrity cruise- skips Finland altogether. Do you think it's worth it to give up Helsinki in order to have a 3rd day in St Petersburg?

JMHO - yes! Helsinki is nice but St. Petersburg is the highlight of Baltic cruises. There is so much to see and 3 days are much better than 2.

I'd certainly skip Helsinki for a second day in SPB. :)

For a third day I'm not so sure. :confused:

Probably yes. Mebbe take the opportunity to get out of the city, or if you're heavily into art an in-depth visit to the Hermitage instead of the usual 2 to 3 hours.

Definitely take the opportunity to spend a second evening ashore.

Mebbe dinner, then a nighttime drive thro the city on the way back to the ship. You'd need to fix this with one of the local tour operators, but it wouldn't be too invasive or too expensive - your driver/guide will take you to the restaurant, make sure you know what it's all about, then leave you & return at an agreed time for your tour/transfer back to the ship.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

I hear so many say St Petersburg is the highlight of a Baltic cruise. What are the must-dos for a 2 day visit?

Well, subjective of course but here is my list of must see sights for a first time visit:

Hermitage

Catherine Palace

Peterhof Fountains & Gardens

Peter/Paul Fortress

Church on Spilled Blood (iconic onion domed church that you often see in photos - inside is gorgeous)

St. Isaac's Cathedral

Faberge Museum

General Staff Building - Impressionist collection

There are other add-ons that are nice - a canal cruise, a visit to some of the metro stations (they are quite opulently decorated), Yusupov Palace, Smolny, Kazan Cathedral, Peterhof Grand Palace, Peterhof Cottage Palace, Russian Museum - really, too much to mention.

Well, subjective of course but here is my list of must see sights for a first time visit:

Hermitage

Catherine Palace

Peterhof Fountains & Gardens

Peter/Paul Fortress

Church on Spilled Blood (iconic onion domed church that you often see in photos - inside is gorgeous)

St. Isaac's Cathedral

Faberge Museum

General Staff Building - Impressionist collection

There are other add-ons that are nice - a canal cruise, a visit to some of the metro stations (they are quite opulently decorated), Yusupov Palace, Smolny, Kazan Cathedral, Peterhof Grand Palace, Peterhof Cottage Palace, Russian Museum - really, too much to mention.

Good list. I would skip the inside of St. Isaacs and even the outside if you have seen lots of other European churches. I would move the Russian museum into a must see for 2 days. Not so much the ethnographic section but the Russian art and icons. After all you can see Impressionist and Renaissance paintings everywhere but it's probably the only time you will see such Russian art.

This would an easy decision for us......extend the trip in St Petersburg....and reduce or skip the stop in Helsinki. Of all the major ports on the Baltic itineraries, Helsinki is our least favorite. Why? The city just seems to be too sterile with little personality. You will hear all kinds of picturesque descriptions of Stockholm, St Petersburg, Copenhagen, Estonia, etc. But you seldom hear about any wonderful descriptive terms when it comes to Helsinki. One cruise ship travel guide actually told some of us that she thought it a city without a soul (whatever that means).

Hank