What to do about prescription meds on a WC?

The Other Tom

Likely the ship cannot/will not refill prescriptions. On my World Voyage the medical centre was running out of basics (like cough syrup and antibiotics) towards the end. Talk to your doctor and company that provides your prescriptions and see about getting an override to their normal limits. It can be done but every company will have different requirements.

Years ago my Dr. told me she had legal right to issue 1 year s perscription. Still true?

It depends on the prescription. A script for a year can be written for all common meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, thyroid, arthritis, etc. For meds like narcotics and sedatives, only a month long prescription can be written. Scripts written by US providers can only be filled in the US.

The bigger problem is the insurance companies. For instance, I can get three months at a time, but can only get the next three months two weeks before the next prescription is due unless I call my insurance company and get an override so I can get enough meds for the trip. Every insurance company has a different policy.

For meds like narcotics and sedatives, only a month long prescription can be written.

That's not exactly true. Many doctors will only write those scripts for that length of time because of misinterpretation of the law and/or fear of being hassled by the DEA. Long-term maintenance scripts for schedule 2 drugs can be written and filled on a 90 basis. Your insurance company may even insist on it, as it did in our case.

We have taken eight world cruises and had to deal with this.

As others have said how much more you can get from the pharmacy depends on what the prescription is for. There are some items that they can give you an additional amount (your insurance company might not pay for it though) and some they can't.

Another way to get around this is to speak with your physician. For many items they could double the number for you by saying two a day versus one a day. This would give you a sufficient amount.

Keith

• 4 months later...