From the Bridge: A Luxury Revolution Means Ultra-Luxe May Be For You After All

LauraS

That's not true. Suites are normally 275 sq ft without a balcony. Normal cabins sizes are from 165 - 195 sq ft depending on the cruise lines.

Square footage has nothing to do with the designation as a suite. For instance Oceania penthouses on the R class ships measure 322 sq, fit but are not designated as suites since the cabin is one large space. On a luxury cruise ship a suite is usually defined as two spaces separated by a drape which may or may not be able to be closed. There is a sleeping area and a sitting area.

Square footage has nothing to do with the designation as a suite. For instance Oceania penthouses on the R class ships measure 322 sq, fit but are not designated as suites since the cabin is one large space. On a luxury cruise ship a suite is usually defined as two spaces separated by a drape which may or may not be able to be closed. There is a sleeping area and a sitting area.

Agree with your definition - it is right on. But, must disagree with your statement about Oceania PH suites. I am looking at the website on my other computer and penthouses on both the large ships and smaller ships are called "suites". Based on the photo, it does meet your definition of being two spaces separated by a drape which may or may not be able to be closed. There is a sleeping and sitting area.

I said before size matters when it comes to suites. It doesn't matter if it's one room or two. Oceania Insignia was the first R Class in 1998. Today Insignia penthouse is 322 sq ft and it's called penthouse suite (one room).

A suite is defined as ' a group of rooms occupied as a unit' as per Webster. Size doesn't come into it at all. But then, precise language and marketing have never gone together.

We are not talking about hotel rooms otherwise you are correct. We are talking about suits on a cruise liner. Many of these so called cruisers on CC think the same way. It's hard for me to understand this theory for suits on a cruise liner. If these cruisers have been on many cruises they would know this. Suits are all about size and could be one room.

I have been on Regent Navigator about 3 years ago. I believe the Navigator was originally built to be Russian spy ship and the Russians canceled their order and Regent purchased the ship. The only problem with the ship every so often the whole ship would shake. I believe the ship has been in dry dock for an overhaul. I personally don't travel on Regent because of their excursions and air fare is included. I find I do better on my own and Regent will give you credit back if you don't use their air fare.

The history of the Navigator is interesting. She was a Russian ship - had two different names before being purchased by Radisson (now Regent). The hull is an ice breaker and she was going to be used as a spy ship. The fall of the Soviet Union changed all of that. Unfortunately, no matter how many multi-millions of dollars that Regent puts into her, she will not "ride" like a cruise ship. During a refurbishment several years ago a "duck tail" (that is what it is referred to - don't know the real name) was put on the aft part of the ship to stabilize her. We no longer sail on Navigator (but do sail on Regent) ...... there is a thread this week that discusses how badly she "shakes". BTW, agree with you 100% about Regent's included excursions.

In terms of suites on a ship, as long as there is living room area that is at least partially curtained off from the sleeping area, it is going to be called a suite. That is just how cruise companies look at it.

Travelcat2 I agree with you 100%. I wish there was some kind of venue where all the big time posters on CC could meet in person to have a discussion about the cruise industry. I feel more at ease in person than posting on CC. Just a thought.

Travelcat2 I agree with you 100%. I wish there was some kind of venue where all the big time posters on CC could meet in person to have a discussion about the cruise industry. I feel more at ease in person than posting on CC. Just a thought.

Perhaps all the "big time posters" who heavily promote and apparently highly value their own opinions could go away en masse.

I am still attempting to discern if certain posters are truly sincere or pulling off a long con to whatever end.

In the meanwhile those of us not invited to the important opinion party will I suppose have to amuse ourselves reading and posting on occasion.

Edited by ededmd
What is the motivation of some?

Perhaps all the "big time posters" who heavily promote and apparently highly value their own opinions could go away en masse.

I am still attempting to discern if certain posters are truly sincere or pulling off a long con to whatever end.

In the meanwhile those of us not invited to the important opinion party will I suppose have to amuse ourselves reading and posting on occasion.

So you don't post? You consider yourself a "little time poster"?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm excited to learn more about Regent!

Maybe I should start a thread, asking why people like it?

She will never get it, will she?

Wripro....you promised to stay off this thread of insanity and still you reappear.

I like the idea of Edie, Travelcat and Paul being locked in a room to debate.

We are not talking about hotel rooms otherwise you are correct. We are talking about suits on a cruise liner. Many of these so called cruisers on CC think the same way. It's hard for me to understand this theory for suits on a cruise liner. If these cruisers have been on many cruises they would know this. Suits are all about size and could be one room.

Paul, I left a suit in a suite on QM2 last month. Of course, you know QM2 is the only liner afloat today. I think you are a comedy writer and post on here trying out new material.

I was on a cruise and happily missed this rude post. Would love to sit down with Paul and wripro (wripro and I have been debating for years without being rude).

There seems to be three types of posters:

1. Those who want to answer questions for other posters and share information based on their experience.

2. Posters that are thinking about a cruise or have booked one and have questions.

3. Posters who add no content in terms of answering questions or giving information about a cruise line but seem to enjoy bashing those that are in group 1.