bar harbor

esimon

We are looking at bike rental in Bar Harbor. I believe they will take us on a shuttle to the park to ride. We are going to purchase our life time pass to the national parks at the same time. any info will help

It's been a number of years since we did this, we were not on a cruise at the time. The shuttle was thru the NPS, not the bike rental shop. There are a limited number of bikes the shuttle can take at a time, you may need to wait for another shuttle.

We are looking at bike rental in Bar Harbor. I believe they will take us on a shuttle to the park to ride. We are going to purchase our life time pass to the national parks at the same time. any info will help

You will only need to pay the park entry fee if you enter by park on the Park Loop Road so having the life time pass is nice to have but not needed for what you are planning to do this visit.

As for bike rentals, there are 3 companies located on Cottage St in walking distance from the tender dock.

The bike shuttle service, part of the Island Express, is the Bicycle Express. This is a free service provided by LL Bean Co that operates until 9/30, The shuttle only runs from the BH Village Green to the entrance to the Eagle Lake Carriage Road. There are 57 miles of Carriage Roads in Acadia National Park. Here is a pdf map of the CR.

SBtS

• 3 months later...

You will only need to pay the park entry fee if you enter by park on the Park Loop Road so having the life time pass is nice to have but not needed for what you are planning to do this visit.

As for bike rentals, there are 3 companies located on Cottage St in walking distance from the tender dock.

The bike shuttle service, part of the Island Express, is the Bicycle Express. This is a free service provided by LL Bean Co that operates until 9/30, The shuttle only runs from the BH Village Green to the entrance to the Eagle Lake Carriage Road. There are 57 miles of Carriage Roads in Acadia National Park. Here is a pdf map of the CR.

SBtS

You can still rent the bikes in town and ride to the Carriage Trials after Oct 1, I just did it. But I want to say there is a significant hill to get to the park from town you must ride up or walk with bike when the shuttle is not running. I am in pretty good bike riding shape and made it however many were struggling but again that assumes you ride to the part late season when the shuttle isn't in operation. One last word of advice and that is there are actually some good size hills on the Carriage Roads within the park. I highly recommend you get a good map and look for the numbers on the poles to assist. There are a lot of trails in there and it can get a little confusing. I rode about 30 miles that day and the fall colors were coming to life and it was beautiful. Just want to say you need to be in decent bike riding shape to take on some of those hills if you ride a good distance within the park.