The Big 60........

Lois R

You might try a repositioning Windstar cruise. A year ago, we took the Star Breeze from Colon, Panama to St. Maarten, with stops in Cartagena, Aruba and Bonaire. It was a wonderful mix of sea days and port stops. The Breeze left the day after we disembarked for the TA.

You might try a repositioning Windstar cruise. A year ago, we took the Star Breeze from Colon, Panama to St. Maarten, with stops in Cartagena, Aruba and Bonaire. It was a wonderful mix of sea days and port stops. The Breeze left the day after we disembarked for the TA.

Hi, I see the Panama Canal cruise.....I have never been there.......but the itinerary is not the Caribbean....it is Cost Rica,

and I have never been there either........this looks like an interesting itinerary.:D....I will take a closer look..........

Oh, I see one that you are referring to......(I think) but the date doesn't work for me..........I will look again at the Panama Canal........

And there is a Caribbean Cruise for 11 nights too.........I wasn't really wanting to do the Caribbean but I bet it would be pretty awesome

on Windstar:)

Sails when at all possible but have done motor Yachts several times too. We love the Surf because she has lovely deck areas. The motor yachts feel more confining to me and in the Caribbean we want to be outside. Our first Windstar was on the Spirit which is now in Tahiti year round. Motor yachts have the large cabins. Either has a wonderful crew. We are just people who love the sails and everyone should experience the sails going up when leaving port at least once.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good morning, the sailing ships do look pretty neat:D..........I am taking a closer look at them. I have never been to the

Panama Canal or to Costa Rica. before. This may sound like an odd question but do many folks sail a B2B?

• 5 months later...

Hello again.......bringing this back up front.........can you tell me something about the Panama Canal/Cost Rica cruise?

Now we are closing in on the end of the year and I still have to pick a birthday cruise:D........I have never been to

either place before.

This is a slow moving board with a few regulars. There are many posts on the Panama Canal/Costa Rica. You could start by using the search function on this forum. I see you’re a regular poster so won’t go into how to use it.

We sailed on the Wind Spirit in December 2014 on a Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruise. It was on my bucket list and a dream come true! We flew in early to Panama City and stayed in the old town. We were there on Christmas Eve and everyone had fireworks throughout the city...it was so much fun to watch from our hotel balcony. We then took a private car to Colon where we boarded the ship. We cruised through the canal and that was such an amazing experience, especially on such a small ship. We all could walk to the front as we entered a lock. You could then wander anywhere you wanted to watch the water rise and the lock open. There was always plenty of room to see everything and you are RIGHT THERE being on such a small ship! It took us most of the day to make the transit and it was so worth it as we sailed under the Bridge of the America's. The rest of our stops in Panama and Costa Rica were amazing and fun. We had our two college age sons with us and they enjoyed it as well. I will say it was very humid and hot during the day so we wore shorts during our adventures in port. If you choose the Panama Canal, prepare to be amazed!

I have done both the Panama Canal and Costa Rice with WS.

I had been to Costa Rica 5 times before the cruise and I was going in this cruise to be with family and i am thrilled I went. I loved it. It had everything: the beaches, the nature and the culture. Great ports. Beautiful coast line. Now with a highway it is easy and quick from San Juan to the port. We always stay at the Marriott near the airport, it is on a coffee farm and it is exquisit and we get a driver to the port. Spectacular cruise.

Panama Canal I read Dan Mccullough’s book The Path Between the Seas and knew I had to see it. Loved it. With giant ships in back of our small ship the Wind Star going through the locks boy were we glad we were on a WS. The canal amazing and beautiful, exciting and graceful. We had a narrator who narrated theentire way she was spectacular. The optical illusion going under the bridge of the Americas was fantastic. Again the other stops great.

We love WS and all our cruises have been with them we are going on our 21st and 22 in 2018. A great way to travel and these two cruises have been very special. If you go on the canal the mentioned book is a must read for it makes the canal come more alive. Happy Sailing

We sailed on the Wind Spirit in December 2014 on a Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruise. It was on my bucket list and a dream come true! We flew in early to Panama City and stayed in the old town. We were there on Christmas Eve and everyone had fireworks throughout the city...it was so much fun to watch from our hotel balcony. We then took a private car to Colon where we boarded the ship. We cruised through the canal and that was such an amazing experience, especially on such a small ship. We all could walk to the front as we entered a lock. You could then wander anywhere you wanted to watch the water rise and the lock open. There was always plenty of room to see everything and you are RIGHT THERE being on such a small ship! It took us most of the day to make the transit and it was so worth it as we sailed under the Bridge of the America's. The rest of our stops in Panama and Costa Rica were amazing and fun. We had our two college age sons with us and they enjoyed it as well. I will say it was very humid and hot during the day so we wore shorts during our adventures in port. If you choose the Panama Canal, prepare to be amazed!

Did you stay over in San Jose at the end? Trying to decide whether to take a 12:30 fligt out or stay a day or two on that end.

No we did not stay over. We were literally the last people off the ship around 8:45 am (which was fun because we were the first ones in the cruise in Colon!).

We walked off the ship to where there were several taxis waiting. We negotiated a price to drive us to the airport (there were 4 of us) and off we went. The road coming towards the port had loads of traffic and we were happy we weren't going that direction. Our flight was at 2:00 pm and we had plenty of time at the airport. We had gone in ahead of time to spend Christmas in Old Panama and our sons had to get back to college or we might have stayed a few days. We did so many fun and active outings on the cruise we were ok with heading home afterwards. Now, if I were to do it again, I would absolutely stay a few extra days!

Thanks. We're kind of debating between the Breeze and the Star. Love the sailing ships but the special pricing on the Breeze for March is very tempting.

Thanks for all the replies:)..........I appreciate them and yes, I know how to use the search feature but sometimes it is

good to get current answers:)

Thanks. We're kind of debating between the Breeze and the Star. Love the sailing ships but the special pricing on the Breeze for March is very tempting.

Make sure you check the timing of your cruising through the Panama Canal. Awhile back, the non-sailing ships that started on the Pacific side were going through the canal starting in the late afternoon which meant your crossing was mostly at night. I don't know if that is still happening because I believe a lot of folks complained. I would call to ask if you can't find it anywhere on the web site.

Thanks for all the replies:)..........I appreciate them and yes, I know how to use the search feature but sometimes it is

good to get current answers:)

Just another two cents worth. A friend and myself just cruised on The Spirit out of Tahiti this past latter part of August. We definitely picked a date featuring airfare and hotel combination. There is a lot of chatter about whether one should do this or plan their own airfare and hotel. My TA handled everything and I have no complaints about Air Tahiti Nui or Le Meridien Hotel where we stayed prior to sailing and after, before our flight home.

The trip around the Society Islands was excellent and we had good weather too. Everyone talks about Bora Bora but my favorite island, by far, was Moorea. We took three private tours and two through Windstar that were excellent.

For me, however, the really phenomenal part of the trip was the ship, The Spirit. I expected a very small cabin, our cabin (#112) was great with lots of room, storage space, nice bathroom, comfortable bed. The entire crew and staff was perhaps the most friendly and professional of any ship I've cruised on. The food was simply first class at every single meal. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, and even water skiing off the back of the ship, when anchored, was a great pleasure. Entertainment in the evenings was limited but made no difference to me. All the fellow passengers were friendly, polite, and interesting to speak with all the time.

So at least consider this cruise, which for me was celebrating my 70th birthday!! :)