Casual Attire question

Pinksunset

It certainly doesn’t sound as tho the dress code is being adhered to or being implemented at the moment.

On Explorer in May we were having a pre dinner drink in Explorer lounge and a couple appeared at the bar. One had on a housecoat and slippers, other had shorts and a hat. This was about 7pm.

They were spoken to immediately by bar staff and made a hasty retreat.

In that instance dress code was enforced by staff and it was definitely needed. Jean.

Again, i wonder who is doing the DressPolicework?

In 2015 we were on a Baltic cruise on the Voyager, (i think) we were having a lovely chat with a couple we had met and at 5.50 pm we were told to vacate the area as the dress code was about to be effective.........I actually had to make a comment about this member of staff as their tone was not very polite.

Hi Ron, i didn't mean that pic to be argumentative but was just showing that some peoples perceptions are different from others regarding and defending the dress code.

We have sailed Regent on all ships in the last 2 years and completely understand when bags go missing etc there is a time and place for wearing clothes that you have to wear however there are some that flaunt the rules and i have seen it myself with no-one in authority giving 2 hoots about this.

I will say that i'm sure you will have a wonderful time on board and there are so many wonderful people and experiences that i'm sure you will have a fabulous time! :)Pam.

PAMELA, I didn't think it was argumentative at all--love the photo......Rick

How long is it until you are off on your travels Ron?...and where are you going?

Pam.

Cruise is Lisbon/Miami(Nov1017/Regent)

Land Only Bangkok/Cooking School for a week)(Jan/18)

Cruise is Miami/San Francisco (Apr1018/Regent)

Cruise is Miami/Miami(Cuba) (Dec/2018/Oceania)

Cruise is Tokyo/Vancouver(Apr2019/Regent)

So now im so clever at this i just wanted to show the dress code on the evening show in September Explorer 2017. Im not shaming anyone as i dont care but the fact remains that folks are not sticking to the dresscode. 6d6e90e215afca0748ff012395d44520.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Are those jeans? Or is it the sneakers that are in question?

Frankly, I think Regent randomly enforces the dress code. I've been at dinner and seen an older woman of ...ahem..substantial size enter in what could best be described as a "housedress" (for anyone old enough to remember what those were) and lacking the proper undergarments and be promptly seated. I've seen a 30 something fellow in white ripped jeans and a patchwork motorcycle jacket at dinner. And then seen people asked to leave the Observation Lounge promptly at 6 because they were still in jeans.

Personally, I can adapt to any dress code but believe it should be enforced across the board or not at all.

Those look to be dress slacks. I would cut this guy some slack as the tennis shoes are very clean and well kept, and his slacks are pressed. He may have some foot condition which precludes wearing other shoes. I had a Morton neuroma which made wearing almost any shoe other than tennis shoes excruciating. I had it surgically removed (successfully thank heavens) as I am too much of a fashionista to only wear tennis shoes, but there certainly are people who can only wear tennis shoes due to podiatric problems.

Those look to be dress slacks. I would cut this guy some slack as the tennis shoes are very clean and well kept, and his slacks are pressed. He may have some foot condition which precludes wearing other shoes. I had a Morton neuroma which made wearing almost any shoe other than tennis shoes excruciating. I had it surgically removed (successfully thank heavens) as I am too much of a fashionista to only wear tennis shoes, but there certainly are people who can only wear tennis shoes due to podiatric problems.

I was thinking the same thing. If a person has taken the time to dress up for dinner and is wearing shoes of this type, I would assume that they had a foot issue.

I posted the same time as the poster below me. As you likely know, it is likely that you would be asked to go to your suite and change if you were wearing jeans, shorts, etc. in a lounge after 6:00 p.m. Generally, if you are finishing a drink, they aren't going to kick you out right at 6:00 p.m. but you will eventually be asked to leave. The crew members are just doing their job and complaining loudly would only embarrass everyone involved. JMHO!

P.S. Even without a foot issue, I change out of my heels and put on fancy sandals before going to the theater simply because my feet hurt.

Edited by Travelcat2

Coming from a shirt that a little to laid back .. whstbhsppebd when you sail,at 6 or 7 and are taking pictures and want to stop in fir a drink. I have done thst on other lines..then go to cabin to shower and dress for the evening. If someone tried to kick me out of the bar I would be complaining louding.

There is always someone who tries to change the subject of the post. So back to fashion and fabrics. I guess if I had lost or had late luggage following one on board I would probably have dinner in my suite. However, there are manufacturers that make slacks (women & men) made out of same fabric as sweats. You would never know. They say they are the most comfortable to travel in.

When people find we've forwarded our luggage ahead to our ship or hotel they often dismiss the idea as being too expensive. On the contrary. We call the idea peace of mind.

Greetings from South Beach, Silver Sweethearts, You are right about peace of mind. When we must have checked bags, we use Luggage Forward. Spending time anxious about our luggage is a foolish waste of our lifetime.

However, our strangest lost luggage incident happened in La Guardia Airport, and I watched it. We were just back from California, and my husband was leaving for a conference the next morning. His favorite jacket was in his bag. I saw the bag way on the other side of the carousel and assumed it would it would soon reach us, until I saw a woman grab it and leave. I turned and told my husband what had happened to his bag. Just then, a Tumi exactly like his arrived in front of us. I grabbed it because I was sure it belonged to the woman who had his. We took it to lost luggage, and they made us wait until every single bag had been taken. Her bag had a phone number on it that we called. By that time she had realized her error. His bag was delivered late the next day. My husband left for his conference in the morning with another jacket.

We have had other lost luggage episodes. That's why I have definitely learned to love carry ons.

Mary

Hi Mary - I'm with you regarding carry-ons (in addition to luggage). Just purchased our second ultra lightweight carry-on that carries a lot of stuff. Even with all of Dennis' workouts, he will have difficulty lifting them above his head to get into the bins. We don't use luggage services because I would likely be just as worried as when luggage is checked. I admire you the fact that you don't have to worry about your luggage.

Packing for our 25 night upcoming cruise has been frustrating. I still have no idea how I will fit everything into two large suitcases (partly due to the amount of "stuff" that we likely won't even need like mosquito netting pants, tops, gloves and booties as well as Deet, a mosquito net that comes out of the top of a hat and way too many things that "might" keep us cool in the Amazon (I may have to post a picture of Dennis in the strange outfit).:evilsmile:

When is your next cruise?

Greetings from South Beach, Silver Sweethearts, You are right about peace of mind. When we must have checked bags, we use Luggage Forward. Spending time anxious about our luggage is a foolish waste of our lifetime.

However, our strangest lost luggage incident happened in La Guardia Airport, and I watched it. We were just back from California, and my husband was leaving for a conference the next morning. His favorite jacket was in his bag. I saw the bag way on the other side of the carousel and assumed it would it would soon reach us, until I saw a woman grab it and leave. I turned and told my husband what had happened to his bag. Just then, a Tumi exactly like his arrived in front of us. I grabbed it because I was sure it belonged to the woman who had his. We took it to lost luggage, and they made us wait until every single bag had been taken. Her bag had a phone number on it that we called. By that time she had realized her error. His bag was delivered late the next day. My husband left for his conference in the morning with another jacket.

We have had other lost luggage episodes. That's why I have definitely learned to love carry ons.

Mary

I used to have a suitcase of a particularly grotesque shade of lime green. I was sure that no one else could have one like it. I saw it come out of the hold and patiently waited for it to come to my side of the carousel when a nun grabbed it and headed for the exit. Here I was, ready to tackle a nun, when I got close enough to see that the suitcase she was wheeling was waaaaay too clean to be mine. Yes, my grubby lime green bag turned up a few minutes later. Saved from an ugly confrontation with a nun by a history of abusive baggage handling!

I used to have a suitcase of a particularly grotesque shade of lime green. I was sure that no one else could have one like it. I saw it come out of the hold and patiently waited for it to come to my side of the carousel when a nun grabbed it and headed for the exit. Here I was' date=' ready to tackle a nun, when I got close enough to see that the suitcase she was wheeling was waaaaay too clean to be mine. Yes, my grubby lime green bag turned up a few minutes later. Saved from an ugly confrontation with a nun by a history of abusive baggage handling![/quote']

That is funny!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
I always enjoy dressing up. With no Formal evenings, would a beaded cocktail dress be out of place?

Thanks!

Lisa

Hi Lisa I also like to dress up in evening and take a mix of dresses cocktail length and also long length. I think your dress will be perfect for evening wear onboard. Jean.

Hello everyone. I've recently been "lurking" over on the Royal Caribbean board, as my DW and 5 of her college girlfriends are going on a 10-day fall cruise on RCI from Bayonne up to Quebec ((better them than me!)). I'm really getting an "education" on the RCI discussion board/s. In fact, I've seen "Keith1010" over there. Hello Keith!

There are a couple of ongoing "dress code" threads at the moment. After reading those threads, Regent sounds downright "civilized"! A lot of folks on the RCI board seem to take the attitude that "whatever I decide to wear to dinner is none of your D--N Business". And their aggressive posts seem to strongly promote this viewpoint.

From what I can best discern, "formal nights" in the MDR are defined by many who frequent RCI cruises as being anything other (or more upscale) than flip-flops, a speedo, and a ball cap! Sheesh!

All I can say is, Don't take Regent for granted! I think the (minimally) reasonable and thoughtful "casual" dress code they have implemented on their ships for before/after 6pm attire are quite easy to comply with and shouldn't cause undue stress to anyone, while at the same time, being quite a cut above the "mainstream" lines.. I'm looking forward to my next Regent cruise. Regards to all.

I always enjoy dressing up. With no Formal evenings, would a beaded cocktail dress be out of place?

Thanks!

Lisa

I agree with Jean. You'll see a range of dress at dinner but if you enjoying dressing up and feel good in your dress, wear it and sparkle!

While you can dress up on any night, the nights when more passengers dress up are the nights of the Captain’s Reception and Farewell, in the specialty restaurants and, for repeat Seven Seas Society passengers, the night of their cocktail party.

Thank you for clarifying, TC, about when it might be appropriate to dress up a bit. DH and I are very much looking forward to our first Regent Mariner Alaska cruise in May and appreciate all of your extensive and valuable input (in all your posts!) as well as other CC contributor’s contributions!

Thank you for clarifying, TC, about when it might be appropriate to dress up a bit. DH and I are very much looking forward to our first Regent Mariner Alaska cruise in May and appreciate all of your extensive and valuable input (in all your posts!) as well as other CC contributor’s contributions!

Thank you for your kind words - it is appreciated!

You are going to Alaska in my favorite month. Hopefully the weather will be beautiful.

You your DH can dress up as much as you like. My DH usually wears a sports jacket (no tie) but, sometimes he wears a suit and tie.

My TA taught me to bring a few pairs of slacks with a lot of nice tops. To this I add a long black skirt. When I dress up I do the sparkly tops. Some women wear cocktail dresses but it is not common. One thing that helps “dress up” my outfit is that I have three pair of heels with matching color handbags - gold, silver and black (sparkly). I never wear the shoes except on the ship and the three colors work perfectly for me.

I don’t dress up anymore in my real life so it is nice doing so on Regent. I’m an over-packer and tried to cut back for our current vacation (in Hong Kong airport on our way to Bali for 3 nights and then on the Voyager for 2 weeks).

Thanks TC! I rarely dress up now either, and will be bringing the dress slacks and nicer tops for the evenings, with some pretty handbags and ( costume, I guess) jewelry. Is it really that bad to overpack if we are traveling first class (self pay supplement) and have transportation arrangements between hotels and the Mariner? I’ll try to contain, but if I fail, is it that awful in terms of convenience? It is obviously unwise and unnecessary to overpack. Perhaps if I start early I’ll do better!

Thanks!

Lisa

Not at all. I wear fancy cocktail dresses most evenings when on board. I wear the most bling on the captain’s welcome and farewell nights, but always some.

We learned a lesson on our current trip to board the Explorer TA. We left home and flew down to Atlanta when we realized getting to Miami was to be very iffy, so we rerouted to Ft. Lauderdale and boarded the next flight. Upon reaching MIA we went to pick up our luggage only to discover one of three bags was there. The other two were at FLL. We were a day early so we had time to retrieve them via a round trip Uber ride. We had done these changes in the past and our luggage always went straight through to its original final destination. A big lesson learned for us which, fortunately, cost us only money. From now on we'll always check for our bags at the intermediate airport before traveling on to our final stop, if we unexpectedly have to change flights.