Best way to see Singapore

radiancecruiser

• 4 weeks later...
I will just be in Singapore pre/post cruise. Can I use credit cards for taxi's airport to cruiseport? and credit cards for small purchases like snacks and souveniers?

Hi whoshwhosh have you got your answers yet? If not here’s what I could contribute:

Taxis: most but not all will take credit card payment but with an additional service fee (around 10%?). Just ask the driver before you board if they don’t take cards or their card machines happen to be not in operation they will inform you.

Small purchases: 7-11s / convenience store chains, supermarkets and most tourist stores take cards but many small hawkers / small businesses run by local individuals may not. To be safe you could have some small change ready just case.

I will just be in Singapore pre/post cruise. Can I use credit cards for taxi's airport to cruiseport? and credit cards for small purchases like snacks and souveniers?

Ask your driver first but they usually take credit cards.

Personally I would get some local currency.

Just like many places around the world you can use credit cards for many purchases but there can be small places for snacks and souvenirs that don't take them.

Keith

We had four days in Singapore before a cruise two,years ago. We used the transit system to get around after the first day. The HOHO bus involved so much waiting around for the next one to come by that we were not impressed and gave up on it.

On ou r last day we did a WW 2 tour with Original Singapore walks. This particular tour was on a bus and was excellent. We were sorry we had not taken some of their actual walks earlier in our visit. Next time we will plan better.

As a Singaporean, I am happy to read that many people enjoyed visiting Singapore! Given the very hot and humid weather, I would strongly suggest planning in a stop at an air conditioned museum during the day - eg; the National museum, Peranakan Museum, Asian Civilization Museum or the National Art Gallery. If you can fit it in during the evening - visit the Night Safari where you can see animals in a very natural nocturnal environment. The botanic gardens (UNESCO site) and the gardens by the bay (very futuristic garden) are well worth a look if you can stand the heat! I would see if the hotel can arrange a car for the day, it will be much more efficient if you only have 1 full day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you acclimatized to very hot & humid weather? Bring lots of water with you. Personally, I would do the Macritchie Treetop walk or HortPark/Southern Ridges. There are trail maps and public transport directions here.

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/walks-and-tours/going-on-a-diy-walk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great choice, MacRitchie is a fairly shaded walk so hopefully you will survive the heat. Just be prepared for a lot of steps but you definitely won’t need hiking poles. Enjoy!

Also, it is closed on Mondays so hope your 1 day is not a Monday.

Edited by swn4

Singapore is a fabulous city. We stayed pre and post a Princess cruise this past February. We arrived from Hongkong at 8 pm in the evening. We were over any jet lag at that point having spent four days in Hongkong prior. We took the city bus (yes the city bus). It came right to the airport - Changi. The total cost per person $2.00 CDN dollars. Yeah. Took about half an hour and dropped us right off in front of our hotel, Conrad Hilton Centennial. No fuss no muss. We had a back pack and a large suitcase each. For the next three days we bought a 3 day MRT subway pass $20 bucks per person - I believe and went everywhere by subway. So very efficient - and I say EVERYWHERE. It was hot in February, so it was great to take the subway rather than a hop on hop off bus. Never liked those anyhow. There is so much to see. Took to subway to the Marina Bay Cruise terminal from our hotel (subway right across the street at the Suntec Centre.) In fact that is exactly where the bus from the airport let us off in front of the Hilton. A ten minute walk under a covered walkway to the pier. Easy! On the way home, we stayed at the Hilton once again and the on our last night we transferred over to the Crowne Plaza Changi which is literally at the airport - right at the airport (inside the airport). Took the subway once again. No issues. This is Singapore. There are elevators everywhere at the subway stops. No need to worry about stairs very accessible and accommodating unlike a lot of countries we have visited.

Singapore is a fabulous city. We stayed pre and post a Princess cruise this past February. We arrived from Hongkong at 8 pm in the evening. We were over any jet lag at that point having spent four days in Hongkong prior. We took the city bus (yes the city bus). It came right to the airport - Changi. The total cost per person $2.00 CDN dollars. Yeah. Took about half an hour and dropped us right off in front of our hotel, Conrad Hilton Centennial. No fuss no muss. We had a back pack and a large suitcase each. For the next three days we bought a 3 day MRT subway pass $20 bucks per person - I believe and went everywhere by subway. So very efficient - and I say EVERYWHERE. It was hot in February, so it was great to take the subway rather than a hop on hop off bus. Never liked those anyhow. There is so much to see. Took to subway to the Marina Bay Cruise terminal from our hotel (subway right across the street at the Suntec Centre.) In fact that is exactly where the bus from the airport let us off in front of the Hilton. A ten minute walk under a covered walkway to the pier. Easy! On the way home, we stayed at the Hilton once again and the on our last night we transferred over to the Crowne Plaza Changi which is literally at the airport - right at the airport (inside the airport). Took the subway once again. No issues. This is Singapore. There are elevators everywhere at the subway stops. No need to worry about stairs very accessible and accommodating unlike a lot of countries we have visited.

Thank you for explaining how easy it is to use the excellent Singapore public transport system. I also take the bus from the airport to my accommodation.

• 3 weeks later...

Decide what you want to do in Singapore before you get there. There are so many things to see depending on your interests. The Gardens by the Bay, Singapore Zoo, Night Safari, Jurong Bird Park, hawkers markets or visit Changi or Sentosa for WW2 history. Taxis are cheap and the MRT is very easy to use once you work it out. Walking is easy and very safe but Singapore is either hot or very hot and thunderstorms are usually a daily occurrence. Take your umbrella.

• 1 month later...
On my next 1 day visit to Singapore I am thinking of doing a nature hike.

Thinking of either MacRitchie Nature Park or Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.

Planning on about a 2 - 3 hour walk.

Perhaps public transport there & taxi back.

An update.

I did the Treetops walk at MacRitchie Reservoir last month.

I did the Treetop loop from Venus Drive Carpark, and it took about 2 1/4 hrs.

It was an enjoyable walk.

I caught the MRT to Newton, then 167 Sembawang bus getting off at the opp flame tree park stop.

After the walk, caught bus 167 again and stayed on all the way down Orchard & Bras Basah rd till Raffles.

Thanks swn4 for your info.

An update.

I did the Treetops walk at MacRitchie Reservoir last month.

I did the Treetop loop from Venus Drive Carpark, and it took about 2 1/4 hrs.

It was an enjoyable walk.

I caught the MRT to Newton, then 167 Sembawang bus getting off at the opp flame tree park stop.

After the walk, caught bus 167 again and stayed on all the way down Orchard & Bras Basah rd till Raffles.

Thanks swn4 for your info.

Glad that you enjoyed yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Singapore for 2-3 days before our cruise. Staying in Chinatown.

Huge foodie/drinkie types...which are the best Hawker centres?

We have researched foods popular over there (Chicken rice, Crab, Nasi Lemak, Kaya Toast, Laksa) but there seems to be so many centres we want to get the good ones. :).

Also...where is the best place to drink some good Asian craft beer?

Any particular drinks/eats/places to try?

We are in Singapore for 2-3 days before our cruise. Staying in Chinatown.

Huge foodie/drinkie types...which are the best Hawker centres?

We have researched foods popular over there (Chicken rice, Crab, Nasi Lemak, Kaya Toast, Laksa) but there seems to be so many centres we want to get the good ones. :).

Also...where is the best place to drink some good Asian craft beer?

Any particular drinks/eats/places to try?

You will have lots of eating choices in Chinatown. I always visit Chinatown Complex, 335 Smith Street, Chinatown, and join the longest queue for chicken rice. Always delicious and a bargain.

There is delicious food everywhere. I had a memorable breakfast of Nasi Lemak for $2.50 in a food centre under accommodation, when I got off a bus 106 going the wrong way to Gardens in Bay. Whilst at Gardens in the Bay, I ate well at their hawker centre overlooking the water.

Leaving for Singapore on Wed. Arrive Friday AM, fly to Thailand on Monday.

How are Sunday's in Singapore? Just another day with everything open or should we plan on some closures. I have printed out some walkiing guides etc. Plan to review them on the long plane trip. Staying in little India (ibis bencoolen).

How are Sunday's in Singapore? Just another day with everything open or should we plan on some closures. I have printed out some walkiing guides etc. Plan to review them on the long plane trip. Staying in little India (ibis bencoolen).

Enjoy Little India, which is a food paradise. Recommend scenic route on bus 106 to Gardens By The Bay from Hotel Rendezvous, Bras Basar Road. 9 - 9 two conservatories - do Flower Dome first, Cloud next. Welcome relief from the heat in the domes. The Gardens are beautifully lit at night. I ate at the hawker centre at Satay By the Bay on the waterfront (Makan By the Bay). Food Court at Marina Bay Sands Hotel nearby had some good food selections available. You can pay by cash (no change) on bus. Mustafa at Little India is open 24 hours. Same bus 106 goes from the YMCA Orchard Road to Botanical Gardens.

Have a great trip.

Hi, most shops will be open in Singapore on Sundays, in fact weekends are the prime time for businesses.

Little India will also be a hive/peak of activity on Sunday. If you like the hustle and bustle, you will be right smack in the action. It will notably be quieter on Monday (not sure what time you fly out).