Float Plane

Paula B

We are cruising on Princess next May. We would like to take a float plane tour but, would like to know which port and why you liked it best.

Thank you, Paula B

Greetings from a fellow Hoosier.

My favorite float plane tour was in Juneau as part of the Taku Lodge Salmon Bake. The flight to/from covered several glaciers, the delicious lodge food, the iced tea made from Taku Glacier ice, and the potential of seeing black bears visiting the grill area made this a great excursion via float plane. Here is my photo review of the Taku Lodge excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/taku-lodge/

The Taku Lodge has a web site, as does Island Wings the floatplane company.

What do you want to experience with this float plane trip? Do you want to see glaciers, or fly along a fjord, or fly along the coast, or fly over Glacier Bay? Do you want a scenic trip with a landing on a lake? There are many options.

You didnt say which ports, so i suggest doing a little research to determine which option best suits your needs. Look at past trip reports to see what others have done. Download each ports Visitor Guide to see which vendors offer float plane trips, then look at their web sites to get details on their excursions.

Have fun with your resesrch and planning!

Our fabulous flight to Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan was unforgettable.

Otoh, our opinion of glaciers is that we can walk on ice at our house during the winter. Or at least we could before we moved to Florida.

As a caution, Alaska weather can be very fickle. Fog, rain, mist, etc can throw a wrench into any floatplane trip at any port you choose. Best to have a Plan B, just in case.

Yes, the Taku Lodge Salmon Bake tour was a memorable one and one that I am glad that I did. The Misty Fjord Float Plane trip is also another one that I won't forget.

It's hard to choose between these two experiences. But, I do think the landing on a lake in Misty Fjords, getting out of the plane and standing on its floats and experiencing the silence and the beauty of where I was exceeds the delicious salmon dinner and the appearance of the bear to enjoy its remains at Taku Lodge.

If possible: do both. I truly don't think you will be disappointed.

Awesome picture! My husband loves fish especially salmon. I'm not a fishy person was there any chance they had any chicken or steak?

Chicken is also available and they will offer it before you take off from Juneau. FWIW our king salmon was caught the day before just a few miles away.

Not a float plane but I've flown over Glacier Bay from Skagway several times with Paul from Mountain Flying. He is based out of Haines but also does flights from Skagway. Spectacular flights, highly recommend this one. I've also done Misty Fjords with Island Wings, the Taku Lodge trip and several more flights over the glaciers. Get in the air somewhere, the views are great

\

Our ports are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and scenic cruising Tracy Arm Fjord. We are in our early and mid 60's and are just now trying to decide what to do at each port. I know we want to do the train in Skagway. We both love scenery and wild life and would love to have the experience of flying on a float plane. Do most of you book through the ship or privately? Thank you all for your import and information.