Visa-free transit in Shanghai extended

TravelMore&More

Hello sandyss and its,

The main issue of the exemption here is only based on the fact that you are visiting one place in China - Shanghai. Although yes the term "transit" and the time allotment of 144 hours (mainly the time) is causing much confusion - although these things are mostly difficult at the government level!!

If one is visiting more than one port in China, then a visa is most certainly required. On my trip, I had to have one, I was doing a land tour in other villages and towns - wonderful! Since Shanghai is the only port, although time lapses in between arrival/departure (hence the investigation/delay...they are looking into the 144 hour issue) still, it's only Shanghai and so it does fall within the general language of the visa waiver - there is no transit *within* China...city to city, city to village, city to town.

There *are* still technicalities for the cruise people to work out with the Chinese port agent (as you both know) but the cruise line can't/won't have you arrive to China without the right documents to enter or exit the country, everything will be worked out on this detail. But again, if the *only* place you will be in China is Shanghai, then what has to be worked out is the timing issue on the visa, the location detail has already been satisfied as it was stipulated by the government. Everything will be OK.

Note that under the visa exemption rule, you are allowed to visit the provinces of Jiangsu and Zhejiang (which includes the popular destinations of Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing among others). You could not go to Beijing. And your cruise can't make another stop in China. At least not just before or just after Shanghai.

Note that under the visa exemption rule, you are allowed to visit the provinces of Jiangsu and Zhejiang (which includes the popular destinations of Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing among others). You could not go to Beijing. And your cruise can't make another stop in China. At least not just before or just after Shanghai.

Just expanding/clarifying on TravelMore&More's great post, the regions exempted from a visa by the rule are adjacent/neighboring to Shanghai and included to permit tourism further beyond (a little bit) the city limits and as planned by China Tourism, into areas mentioned by TM&M such as Suzhou, Hangzhou and Nanjing...get a little bit more of a traditional Chinese flavor as opposed to the big city buzz of Shanghai.

Otherwise, the single city/port limit still applies with regard to visa exempted travel for China - in other words, a visa is required for visits to more than one city/destination in China. Your cruise line will most decidedly see that all documentation is in order prior to your voyage as they are beholden to their passengers and the authorities to do just that. It will be OK :)

• 1 year later...

I will be cruising to Shanghai from Los Angeles on a 28 night voyage ( coral princess) September - October 2018 and would like to stay in a city hotel for 5 nights before flying home to Los Angeles. Given the multiple countries visited on the cruise before returning to LA does the Readership know if I qualify for the 144 hour VisaFree visit

Given the multiple countries visited on the cruise before returning to LA does the Readership know if I qualify for the 144 hour VisaFree visit

That doesn't matter. The ONLY thing that matters is country A - B - C. What is your stop IMMEDIATELY prior to Shanghai? And also - American passport?

If A is a non-China country, B is Shanghai and C is LA, you might qualify. But also consider any flight stops etc - will you be flying Shanghai non-stop to LA?