SFO to Sydney flight cost question

adstz

We are looking at a cruise for next October, 2018. Are the flights any cheaper going through the cruiseline? We are looking at a princess cruise. As flights are not out yet, just doing some research! Any ideas or help?

Not necessarily. I priced a Tokyo-Sydney flight on Princess and it was about 10% dearer than booking through Qantas.

I'm only paying $1000 pp R/T from lax to auk/ syd to LAX in January. It's coach not business class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are flying SFO to SYD ; then Auckland to SFO on Qantas January 16th. Coach not Business. Price was $2211 R/T for the two of us. Booked it back in March. Haven't seen it that low since. Actually just checked it tonite and it is around $3400 now.

Edited by 2psoki

Am planning a 3 week trip to Australia and New Zealand in January 2018.

Two months ago the flight from San Francisco to Sydney then returning from Auckland to San Francisco started out at $14,000 plus (two people business class).

It went down to $11,408. I was hopeful it would go down again.

For the past 10 days it has been $15, 200 plus.

Did I miss the lower price? Do long distance fares come down as the dates get closer??

I am freaking out. This is sooo expensive!!

I have other flights to book too as we are doing a land tour in Australia then catch a ship in Auckland.

Any info will be appreciated.

I am flying SYD - EWR (via SFO) in October 2017. I started watching fares as soon as the inventory was released (December 2016, approximately 11 months before the travel date). After watching for a few weeks and seeing little change, I booked my Business Class in mid-January. At that time, I purchased what I thought was a reasonable fare. Since that time, the price has continued to climb and is now beyond what I could afford. There have been a few minor dips in price, and 1 significant drop, but the overall trend has been an increase. As of last week, my EWR/HNL and SYD/EWR business class tickets are priced at $10,296 and unlikely to drop very much.

I have found that the cheapest prices can be had far in advance of your travel date, and as time draws closer and demand increases, so does the price.

• 3 months later...
I'm only paying $1000 pp R/T from lax to auk/ syd to LAX in January. It's coach not business class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in AU right now and paid $1040 Canadian direct on Air Canada from Vancouver. We paid an extra $100 pp for the bulk head. We had more leg room than premium economy.

I just came from Sydney and took LATAM and American, but of course this is NOT first or premium class. We went from Sydney to New Zealand for $140.on LATAM and from Auckland, NZ to CMH (Columbus, OH) for

EQUIV FARE-USD$ 586.00 TAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES$ 67.76 TICKET TOTAL$ 653.76

They were both great flights with wonderful service. This was the ONE WAY fare because it as for a transpacific. The fare to LAX or SFO would likely have been less.

What is clear is that clearing your cookies, browser cache or browse history between searches won't change any of this.

You're right in a sense but wrong overall. Price optimisation happens at several levels; you are referencing only the highest level that it happens at. Sophisticated retailers also try to set prices bespoke to single individuals and this is where tracking becomes a problem. The mistake others here are making is assuming the tracking always leads to higher prices whereas it can lead to lower prices too - the challenge for the retailer is to determine at what price point to sell to each individual. If you successfully portray yourself as a price conscious coupon clipper then you will see lower prices for example.

Try playing modern networked banks of connected slot machines using different styles of play behaviour and you'll see that they too price optimise by employing different strategies to suck your wallet dry. You can in a small way reverse the tables on the machine's programmer if you're sufficiently observant and can portray yourself as the right persona of player whilst really being entirely calculative.

You're right in a sense but wrong overall. Price optimisation happens at several levels; you are referencing only the highest level that it happens at. Sophisticated retailers also try to set prices bespoke to single individuals and this is where tracking becomes a problem.

While theoretically possible, that doesn't mean it's necessarily worthwhile or the case in this discussion.

Are airlines any more 'sophisticated' by your definition than say, supermarkets or petrol stations?

While prices for flights fluctuate, there's nothing to suggest this is due to individual actions at browser level.

• 1 month later...
You're right in a sense but wrong overall. Price optimisation happens at several levels; you are referencing only the highest level that it happens at. Sophisticated retailers also try to set prices bespoke to single individuals and this is where tracking becomes a problem.
But on current systems, it is not possible to do this when buying published air fares.

Those of us who do it frequently can work out (using a mixture of public and subscription tools) what the cost will be before we ask the airline. That is why we know that cookie / cache tracking doesn't happen (or at least not to us).