Q's for our First Ever Oceania Cruise on the Riviera, Dec 22nd

SJunie

This will be our first time ever cruising on Oceania. We have always cruised on HAL, Carnival or RC, so we are really excited about this upcoming experience. I have just put down a fully refundable deposit, but need to make my final payment next week.

We are 3 people booked in a guaranteed Balcony room on Deck 7 on the O Life Plus package with airfare. I am hoping past O cruisers can help me with some of these questions to help me fully make up my mind.

From reading this forum, I see that we don't have to worry about dressing super fancy. I think that was my number one concern :)

1. Is there a good chance that we might get a free room upgrade when they assign the room closer to embarkation day? I understand that Oceania's big ships aren't always fully booked. All the other times that we have booked a guaranteed room on other cruise lines, we have only been upgraded once.

2. Has anyone slept in one of their pull out beds? The pull out beds on Carnival was awful, and the ones on HAL and RC were decent, but not great.

3. What time does the evening entertainment show start? We don't mind having a late dinner to try to increase our chances of being able to get reservations in the specialty restaurants, but we don't want to miss out on the evening shows, either.

4. The flight schedule that was booked for us has us flying in and out right after the cruise. We hope to have an extra two days in Miami after the cruise. I read on here that there is a deviation fee of some sort. Has anyone found that it makes better $ sense than to just book your own air? As it is right now, it's a better deal for us to have the airfare included if we don't change the schedule.

5. Is transportation from the airport to the port included with this airfare package? I couldn't find it in the fine print. If not, what is the best way aside from a taxi to get to the port from MIA?

6. How easy is it to do self-directed sightseeing in the Caribbean ports that we will be going to? We like to head out early in the morning, then make it back to the ship for a late lunch whenever we are at a port of call.

This cruise will be a big extravagant splurge for us, but we have had a tough roller coaster year, and we thought it would be good for our family to spend this time in a special way together over the holidays.

Thank you for any tips or advice!

From reading this forum, I see that we don't have to worry about dressing super fancy. I think that was my number one concern :)

No just a nice top & slacks will get you to any dining venue for dinner ..the Terrace is more casual

1. Is there a good chance that we might get a free room upgrade when they assign the room closer to embarkation day? I understand that Oceania's big ships aren't always fully booked. All the other times that we have booked a guaranteed room on other cruise lines, we have only been upgraded once.

you have a 50/50 chance

3. What time does the evening entertainment show start? We don't mind having a late dinner to try to increase our chances of being able to get reservations in the specialty restaurants, but we don't want to miss out on the evening shows, either.

9:30pm usually

4. The flight schedule that was booked for us has us flying in and out right after the cruise. We hope to have an extra two days in Miami after the cruise. I read on here that there is a deviation fee of some sort. Has anyone found that it makes better $ sense than to just book your own air? As it is right now, it's a better deal for us to have the airfare included if we don't change the schedule.

It will depend on the airfare prices you can get on your own

The deviation fee is $175 pp but you can fly in earlier & stay longer than the cruise dates

you can see if Oceania can get the flights that work for you then decide

5. Is transportation from the airport to the port included with this airfare package? I couldn't find it in the fine print. If not, what is the best way aside from a taxi to get to the port from MIA?

no

a taxi is flat fee of $27 + tip or if you UBER I think it is cheaper

or get a private car service

6. How easy is it to do self-directed sightseeing in the Caribbean ports that we will be going to? We like to head out early in the morning, then make it back to the ship for a late lunch whenever we are at a port of call.

depends on the port & what you like to see/do

This cruise will be a big extravagant splurge for us, but we have had a tough roller coaster year, and we thought it would be good for our family to spend this time in a special way together over the holidays.

enjoy the cruise

This will be our first time ever cruising on Oceania. We have always cruised on HAL, Carnival or RC, so we are really excited about this upcoming experience. I have just put down a fully refundable deposit, but need to make my final payment next week.

We are 3 people booked in a guaranteed Balcony room on Deck 7 on the O Life Plus package with airfare. I am hoping past O cruisers can help me with some of these questions to help me fully make up my mind.

2. Has anyone slept in one of their pull out beds? The pull out beds on Carnival was awful, and the ones on HAL and RC were decent, but not great.

We have always opted for the air credit and DIY tickets using loyalty points or some combo of points/$, particularly for biz class on long hauls AND because we always fly in 2-4 days prior for private land touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums