Vietnam Airlines/Thai Airways

diane.in.ny

We flew VN from Saigon to DaNang, DaNang to Hanoi, Hanoi to Siem Reap last year. Flights were all short. I guess the fact that I can’t remember anything negative is a positive. There is more attempt at in flight service on short flights than you will find on US airlines.

The only mess up was they changed a flight number, which I missed ( my fault). I had given the old flight number (but with the correct time) for a transfer pick up for our hotel in Hanoi. They still picked us up upon arrival (drinker had waited a few housers) and didn’t charge us extra. On the hotel side they should have caught the flight number/time discrepancy and contacted me for clarification.

I chose to pay a bit more for VN than flying the Vietnamese low cost carriers after reading reviews of the latter.

We had four of five flights inside Vietnam on Vietnam Airlines in winter 2016. Good service, Always on time. Equipment was in good shape.

We would not hesitate to fly on them again. No experience on Thai but have heard nothing but good things.

We also used Jetstar inside Vietnman to go from Saigon to Da Lat, and then from Hanoi to Bangkok. Excellent service.

We use Air Asia extensively in SE Asia. THey are our carrier of choice based on price, service, and routes.

We had four of five flights inside Vietnam on Vietnam Airlines in winter 2016. Good service, Always on time. Equipment was in good shape.

We would not hesitate to fly on them again. No experience on Thai but have heard nothing but good things.

We also used Jetstar inside Vietnman to go from Saigon to Da Lat, and then from Hanoi to Bangkok. Excellent service.

We use Air Asia extensively in SE Asia. THey are our carrier of choice based on price, service, and routes.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Last month, we flew on Vietjet from Siem Reap to Hanoi. This a low cost carrier (think Southwest or Easyjet) which is privately owned and not state-owned. I come from the airline business myself, and I thought it all looked pretty good and reliable. The website is good and the web check-in was very smooth. The flight deck is mainly Australian, the flight attendants are Vietnamese, but speak some english. Vietjet are cheaper and offer more routes than Vietnam Airlines, but since it is a no-frills airline, you have to factor all costs (you have to pay for luggage, meals, seat assignments etc) to make an informed decision which airline to fly. On many international routes, you can also choose Jetstar or Air Asia.