The Path Between the Seas

Losnab

I think it gets real good after the French part is completely.

Keep going. You will be glad you did. Enjoy the Canal Cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed! The best part is the last 3rd of the book. Very interesting information - and google for photos/images as you read. You will find the photos really help bring the history alive.

long arduous book to read but I agree the last 1/3 of the book is the best. we have a family member who is retired and read it non stop but it took me several tries to get into it and finally at advise of others I skipped on some of the middle and got to the part that I really enjoyed.....

No doubt that "The Path" is the book of record and is definitely worth the read, just in case that doesn't satisfy you in your Canal quotient, there are some others out there as well. Panama Fever by Matthew Parker is worth a look as well. The Panama Canal, The Invisible Wonder of the World by Ron Armstrong is an excellent pictorial collection of what is now mostly underwater. The author traveled to West Point to sift through Col. Goethals' collection of construction day photos and presents them in the form of a southbound transit. I thought I had seen every construction picture ever taken... not even close! If you are looking for something a bit more topical pick up a copy of Richard Detrich's Panama Canal Day. There are a number of editions available, the earlier ones were either a "North" or a "South" edition, as far as I know the one I mentioned is the most current.

If you want to go the video route, then there always is A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama narrated by McCullough. While it is a bit dated, it certainly has some great archival footage. A little more 21st century is PBS's American Experience, The Panama Canal is worth a look as well, I found a fair copy of it here;

Look forward to some of your great photo coverage.

Thank you for the link. Looking forward to watching it with HB this afternoon.

We are getting ready for some car travel, any podcast or similar audio suggestions I can prepare in advance on this subject?

When we return From the cruise I’ll upload and share images here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Part of the joy of traveling for me is in the research and planning.

So in preparation for our upcoming Panama cruise I have purchased a digital copy of The Path Between the Seas.

I am a reader...I always have a book.

(Nor a fast reader, but I so enjoy my books)

i am on page 77 and quite frankly I have to say I am having a real hard time "getting into" this read.

Can anyone offer me any encouragement?

Does it get better?

I can't remember the last time I did not finish a book that I started.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My sister recommends this book, just ordered a second hand copy, because I am not that into the canal but doing a cruise in 2019. She did tell me some of the book is very technical... and dry, skip that ... read what seems interesting. Will give us an appreciation of what went into building it.

I just looked up the book on Amazon --- other books out there if you can't get through it.

I finished it, my hubby didn't. We are both readers but he is a daily reader I am more occasional. There is a point there somewhere!

Most everyone says it can be a slog in places & more so at the beginning. I will say I found the history of the thing very interesting & many of the characters became fascinating as their stories unfolded. Some made astounding differences in our lives today.

I wouldn't skip any of the book,even when it gets into way too much detail. Often what seems trivial does paint the times, politics, policies & the people.

Good Luck

My sister recommends this book, just ordered a second hand copy, because I am not that into the canal but doing a cruise in 2019. She did tell me some of the book is very technical... and dry, skip that ... read what seems interesting. Will give us an appreciation of what went into building it.

I just looked up the book on Amazon --- other books out there if you can't get through it.

I wouldn't skip any of it. Imho, learning about how the Canal actually works -- and still works the same way more than 100 years after it was built! -- is pretty fascinating.