Currently on Nautica - Mumbai to Athens

JoePDX

Joe,

thanks again for the wonderful thread!!!

I wonder if you will fall in love with Myanmar as I did. I told several people that if i was 20 years younger I'd be trying to get a teaching job there.

I fell in love with the people--they are trying so hard to rebuild and there are so many young people who are so earnest about democracy and the future. It would be a joy to teach there, I think.

Hi Cynthia -

Big reason why I want to visit Myanmar sooner rather than later, to see the emergence of their new way of life.

Angkor Wat and Bangkok are not on this itinerary. We have been to Bangkok, spent 5 days there after our 2006 cruise on Nautica. On that trip we also visited Vietnam. Love Vietnam and hope to get back there some day. Just so many places to see on the list!

Joe

You can always go to the Raffles for The Sling :D

Did that in 2006 in the historic Long Bar, and highly recommended. Then came home and came up with my own version of the recipe. :cool:

Joe

• 5 months later...
Angkor Wat and Bangkok are not on this itinerary. We have been to Bangkok, spent 5 days there after our 2006 cruise on Nautica. On that trip we also visited Vietnam. Love Vietnam and hope to get back there some day. Just so many places to see on the list! Joe

Super LOVED and very much appreciate all of these great details, pictures, etc., from your excellent adventure/trip involving Egypt, the Holy Lands, etc.

While we have never sailed with Oceania, we have a booking on hold for Nov. 16-Dec. 6, 2018, Athens to Dubai with stops in Rhodes, Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc. In reverse order, we would be able to enjoy many of your same, exciting stops in our first visit to these parts of the Middle East. If handy for you and/or any other experienced and smart travelers, have a few questions related to these areas and as first-timers with Oceania.

1. What is the biggest "secret", favorite place, best tips, etc., to maximized and enjoy time on the Nautica? Ours would be a twenty-day cruise with five sea-days.

2. The basic balcony room on this ship are little smaller than what we have previously done. Any tips to maximize on this limited cabin size or best places to find away from the cabin for hanging out, escaping, making your "haven", etc.?

3. Did the any-time dining work well in the evenings? Which of the two speciality dining places was your favorite? Why? Favorite meal treat while with Oceania? Will the main dining room do any "special requests" with advance notice?

4. For evening entertainment, any special highlights, super loves, best tips, etc.?

As a side note, we are getting ready in later January 2018 to do our first visit to SE Asia. This includes Hong Kong, Vietnam, a seven-day sailing up the Mekong River, Cambodia, Angkor Wat, Bangkok, etc. Any special, added tips and insights for that part of the world? Places to avoid and/or your most favorite experiences there?

THANKS to Joe!!! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 189,644 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...
Super LOVED and very much appreciate all of these great details, pictures, etc., from your excellent adventure/trip involving Egypt, the Holy Lands, etc.

While we have never sailed with Oceania, we have a booking on hold for Nov. 16-Dec. 6, 2018, Athens to Dubai with stops in Rhodes, Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, etc. In reverse order, we would be able to enjoy many of your same, exciting stops in our first visit to these parts of the Middle East. If handy for you and/or any other experienced and smart travelers, have a few questions related to these areas and as first-timers with Oceania.

1. What is the biggest "secret", favorite place, best tips, etc., to maximized and enjoy time on the Nautica? Ours would be a twenty-day cruise with five sea-days.

2. The basic balcony room on this ship are little smaller than what we have previously done. Any tips to maximize on this limited cabin size or best places to find away from the cabin for hanging out, escaping, making your "haven", etc.?

3. Did the any-time dining work well in the evenings? Which of the two speciality dining places was your favorite? Why? Favorite meal treat while with Oceania? Will the main dining room do any "special requests" with advance notice?

4. For evening entertainment, any special highlights, super loves, best tips, etc.?

As a side note, we are getting ready in later January 2018 to do our first visit to SE Asia. This includes Hong Kong, Vietnam, a seven-day sailing up the Mekong River, Cambodia, Angkor Wat, Bangkok, etc. Any special, added tips and insights for that part of the world? Places to avoid and/or your most favorite experiences there?

THANKS to Joe!!! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 189,644 views for this posting.

Hi Terry - Sorry for the delayed resonse, haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while....First a thank you to you....I have followed you for many years from the Celebrity board. And have learned a lot from you too. :-)

I think of the former R-Class ships (from Renaissance Cruises) as small versions of the Millennium class ships. Well laid out, never a crowd (well Martini Bar can get crowded at cocktail hour).... Nice crew with really top notch service. And the extra touches...chilled towels in the gym changing rooms along with Gatorade and Water. Daily tea is quite special and the spread changes daily. The Grand Tea and Grand Brunch are also lovely. FOOD is top notch. The Chef comes through the Grand Dining Room most evenings to ask how things were, and he really listens. STICKY BUNS! You saw the pictures. Buffet items all served to you, rather than a free for all. Baristas in the morning for a hot beverage. Not sure about special requests - but certainly ask - if they can they will.

The room itself is quite in line with the Category 2 balconies on the Millenium Class. Bathroom is small, but frankly has a surprising amount of storage. As for me, I'd rather have a small bathroom than a small room. Closet has ample hanging areas along with four or five drawers. I was easily able to stow our 20 days worth of clothes with no problem. Horizons on the top deck is wonderful for watching the sea and is usually quite quiet. I also enjoy the pool deck. There is usually pastries set out up there along with machines to make coffee drinks. The sun deck (which is free to Concierge and above staterooms) is also nice - very strong thallostherapy pool up there. I think they also sell daily passes, not worth spending a lot but consider it....for a splurge if nothing else.

Always. Never more than a couple minute wait - our Maitre D' was excellent - always smiling. Even at peak times. My favorite specialty this time was Toscana. We had two wonderful meals there. Had one in Polo Grill, it was good, but Toscana really won my heart this time. That said, the Grand Dining Room is also wonderful! Toscana favorite - prosciutto wrapped shrimp - had it both nights and one night the sole which is deboned tableside. Polo the colossal shrimp cocktail. (yes I love shrimp!) The one thing I definitely remember from the Grand Dining Room is the Lyonnais sausage with potato salad. YUM! Talked to the chef about it that night and he told me the sausage is made in house. It's Jacques Pepin's reported favorite. Also at lunch each day is a sampler plate - all were wonderful that we tried! Usually as an appetizer. I posted a couple pictures of them....

Very low key entertainment compared to a larger ship. Some small production shows - the singers/dancers on our ship were at the end of their contract and had "gelled". Entertaining. Other nights mostly a singer or magician, etc. One of the featured acts "Five o'clock Somewhere" was really excellent. Show lounge is more like a cabaret, sight lines are impacted but you also aren't in a room packed in the 1000 or more....

Love Hong Kong. Ride the Star Ferry a lot. :-) Victoria Peak is a must see. I also love the area around Hollywood Street (antique area), you will learn to ride the massive escalators that take you up and down the hills. Have tea at the Pennisula if it's in the budget. Stanley Market is touristy, but easy to get to via bus (usually a double decker) try and sit right in the front on the second level if you can - wonderful views. Go out to Lantau Island to see the giant Buddha. We took the Ferry and then a bus. Now there is a cable car. At the Monastery have lunch - go for the "VIP" lunch. It's vegetarian but quite good - VIP gets you into a private dining room where you don't share a table and food with others and it's just a few dollars more. If you have time take a ferry to Macau. You will feel like you are in Portugal. Consider getting a foot massage here - it will be very different than a foot massage in Thailand. I'll just leave it at that. Overall using buses and Star Ferry, Hong Kong is easy to manage on foot.

Bangkok is a place I could live (except for the heat/humidity) - it's just so alive! Get a foot massage! or lots of them. Super inexpensive and you will be amazed at how you fee afterward. The Royal Palace is a must see of course. I also enjoyed visiting the National Museum of Bangkok (funeral carriages were interesting). Go to a night market. Ride the "taxis" on the Chao Praya river. Eat great food for next to nothing. It's been 10 years since we were there, but I remember our lunch at the National Museum costing us both less than $5 US. I'm sure it's more now...

Vietnam - We have been to Saigon and Nha Trang. We overnighted in Saigon on Nautica - first day we did the Meekong - full day and so much to see. Second day we did War Museum and other places in Saigon. Traffic is crazy and crossing the street an experience. Listen to your guide and you will be safe!

Haven't been to Cambodia/Angkor Wat. Someday!

Hope you see this!

Joe

Joe,

when you guys go to cambodia/angkor wat, tell us and i can give your name to our friend who did her own private tour there ATW16. She can give you all the details!!!

They were on the same plane that O used to take us there. I'd go with her next time in a heartbeat!!!

That said, O did a great job with their shorex but hers might have been even better!!!

btw....Cambodia was probably the hottest I've ever been in my life...several of us broke out in heat rash!!! (but it did not rain on us and it was amazing! If i was younger I'd go there or Myanmar to teach)

Be sure and go to Myanmar....incredible!!! Where are you going next?

We're headed to circumnav Oz in a couple of days; Mumbai-Rome in April & May'18, then Train Adventure from Rome to Paris for about 3 weeks...stopping at a bunch of cities for ~2-3 days each!!!

Joe,

when you guys go to cambodia/angkor wat, tell us and i can give your name to our friend who did her own private tour there ATW16. She can give you all the details!!!

They were on the same plane that O used to take us there. I'd go with her next time in a heartbeat!!!

That said, O did a great job with their shorex but hers might have been even better!!!

btw....Cambodia was probably the hottest I've ever been in my life...several of us broke out in heat rash!!! (but it did not rain on us and it was amazing! If i was younger I'd go there or Myanmar to teach)

Be sure and go to Myanmar....incredible!!! Where are you going next?

We're headed to circumnav Oz in a couple of days; Mumbai-Rome in April & May'18, then Train Adventure from Rome to Paris for about 3 weeks...stopping at a bunch of cities for ~2-3 days each!!!

Cynthia-

Enjoy Australia -it is on our list too.... I know you will enjoy the Mumbai-Rome, it is amazing....

Thanks for offer on Cambodia....not sure when, but someday!

As for next trips....I just spent two weeks at our French place doing remodeling....one apartment done and ready for rentals! Yea! Going back in April for two weeks to finish the last of the three apartments in time for high season. Jeff can't go as he is rebuilding his vacation bank...but that also means I stay on task... :D

Next big trip is a toss up at the point. We are booked on Nautica in April 2019 for Singapore to Dubai, but we also have just booked Celebrity Edge for the inaugural transatlantic also in April 2019. One will win out, but we have time to decide!

Cheers,

Joe

thanks Joe!!!

contemplating doing another thread on the circumnav of Au as I did for ATW16.

We've been to Aus before-both interior and coastal ports, but looking forward to the ports west of Adelaide.

We've not been to western Au before and from the pictures I've seen it should be glorious!!!

Do Cambodia while you are young and agile and resilient....!!!!

We gutted our S Fl condo and did much of the work ourselves but turned some stuff over to the pros!!! c

Hi Terry - First a thank you to you....I have followed you for many years from the Celebrity board. And have learned a lot from you too. My favorite specialty this time was Toscana. We had two wonderful meals there. Had one in Polo Grill, it was good, but Toscana really won my heart this time. That said, the Grand Dining Room is also wonderful! Toscana favorite - prosciutto wrapped shrimp - had it both nights. Love Hong Kong. Ride the Star Ferry a lot. :-) Victoria Peak is a must see. I also love the area around Hollywood Street (antique area). Bangkok is a place I could live (except for the heat/humidity) - it's just so alive! Get a foot massage! or lots of them. Vietnam - We overnighted in Saigon on Nautica - Traffic is crazy and crossing the street an experience. Listen to your guide and you will be safe! Haven't been to Cambodia/Angkor Wat. Someday! Joe

WOW!! Super great details, insights and suggestions from Joe. I have only highlighted above a few of the many excellent info items you have provided. Very helpful and beneficial. These all help build the excitement for our upcoming travel adventures. Keep it coming from you and/or any others. Love reading these tips and ideas. Will do a live/blog during our SE Asia trip in January and hope that things work out in the future for you to visit Angkor Wat.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Do Cambodia while you are young[/b] and agile and resilient....!!!!

Good and interesting challenge noted about Cambodia. We are not exactly "young" in body age' date=' but hopefully our energetic spirit will help us deal with the heat and physical tasks while doing Angkor Wat and other Cambodia stops when sailing up the Mekong River in February 2018. [/font']

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,156 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We took the HOHO in HKong, added Victoria Peak to the ticket cost, and one of the stops is THE station for VPeak.

We were able, therefore, to bypass the lines and were slotted into the line for the next car....worked like a charm.

We walked down, which was wonderful. We took our time and felt like we saw both VP and lovely houses, backyards, amazing views, and a completely shaded walk all the way down....AND felt righteous doing it!!!

had dinner and watched the laser light show--excellent (but Disney does a better job with their fireworks!!!)

We took the HOHO in HKong, added Victoria Peak to the ticket cost, and one of the stops is THE station for VPeak. We were able, therefore, to bypass the lines and were slotted into the line for the next car....worked like a charm. We walked down, which was wonderful. We took our time and felt like we saw both VP and lovely houses, backyards, amazing views, and a completely shaded walk all the way down....AND felt righteous doing it!!! had dinner and watched the laser light show--excellent (but Disney does a better job with their fireworks!!!)

Appreciate these added info items regarding Hong Kong. Wonderful background. It really helps building our excitement for visiting this unique and special city next month. Keep it coming!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,165 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate these added info items regarding Hong Kong. Wonderful background. It really helps building our excitement for visiting this unique and special city next month. Keep it coming!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,165 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

My favorites for tourism --

1) Aberdeen Harbor -- try one of the Jumbo restaurants -- they are equally bad but its more about the experience than the food

2) Stanley Market - more than just a market -- weekend is best and great place for lunch

3) Star Ferry -- a bargain and a great way to get from TST to Hong Kong Is

4) Shopping some very nice specialty markets -- like the bird market also the Temple (Night) Market

contemplating doing another thread on the circumnav of Au as I did for ATW16.

We gutted our S Fl condo and did much of the work ourselves but turned some stuff over to the pros!!! c

Cynthia -

I would follow that thread for sure! Please do.... :D

I know what I can tackle and what I can't (or don't want to) on remodeling these days. Age brings some wisdom. :eek: We do have a handyman/carpenter that does most everything else that doesn't require a specialist.... Which is very good! But I will be glad when after this trip in April, all three apartments will be done or nearly....

Joe

Cynthia -

I would follow that thread for sure! Please do.... :D

I know what I can tackle and what I can't (or don't want to) on remodeling these days. Age brings some wisdom. :eek: We do have a handyman/carpenter that does most everything else that doesn't require a specialist.... Which is very good! But I will be glad when after this trip in April, all three apartments will be done or nearly....

Joe

Off topic from cruising, JoePDX, but do you do short term rentals for your apts. in Paris? Such as VRBO and HomeAway?

Donna

Off topic from cruising' date=' JoePDX, but do you do short term rentals for your apts. in Paris? Such as VRBO and HomeAway?

Donna[/quote']

Hi Donna -

We do - not on VRBO or AirBnB yet, but soon (next few weeks). Our place is not in Paris but in the Aveyron region of South Central France. Medieval village named Mur-de-Barrez. Lots of pics of the village on line if you Google.

Feel free to contact me at joefpdx at Comcast dot net if you are interested in hearing more.

Joe

We will be on Nautica in February. Hong Kong to Bangkok. Any suggestions for ship tours that are really good? Especially what did you do in Vietnam?

Mary

Our Vietnam cruise on Nautica was in 2006. We did all private tours then. Highly recommend any excursions that would take you to the Meekong Delta. An amazing area. The War Museum is also interesting in Ho Chi Minh City with a different take on the Vietnam War than we usually see as Americans....

Vietnam is a beautiful country with lovely people.

Enjoy!

if you can....try to take a cruise on HaLong Bay in Hanoi port. Beautiful!!

I echo Joe's rec'd...try to see as many things from the Vietnam War era as you can. We took the shorex to Hanoi since it is a long bus ride and that way we'd be guaranteed that the ship would wait for us if traffic held us up on the return.

We also took the shorex in Bangkok for the same reasons--traffic is crazy there!!!

Hong Kong's HOHO bus is an excellent way to see the city on your own....including Victoria Peak, the harbor and laser show.

Our Vietnam cruise on Nautica was in 2006. We did all private tours then. Highly recommend any excursions that would take you to the Meekong Delta. An amazing area. The War Museum is also interesting in Ho Chi Minh City with a different take on the Vietnam War than we usually see as Americans.... Vietnam is a beautiful country with lovely people. Enjoy!

if you can....try to take a cruise on HaLong Bay in Hanoi port. Beautiful!!I echo Joe's rec'd...try to see as many things from the Vietnam War era as you can. We took the shorex to Hanoi since it is a long bus ride and that way we'd be guaranteed that the ship would wait for us if traffic held us up on the return. We also took the shorex in Bangkok for the same reasons--traffic is crazy there!!! Hong Kong's HOHO bus is an excellent way to see the city on your own....including Victoria Peak, the harbor and laser show.

If you get to Hanoi, stop by the old French Hotel Metropole (now part of the Sofitel chain). They have a free tour of the hotels bomb shelter. Definitely different.

Appreciate ALL of these excellent tips, ideas, comments and follow-ups. Many or most of these are on our list and that we will be able to do, including the Mekong River, Halong Bay, Hanoi's Hotel Metropole, the War Museum, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc. Keep sharing these various experiences. It's now just over a month till we depart for Hong Kong. The excitement is building!!

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Appreciate ALL of these excellent tips, ideas, comments and follow-ups. Many or most of these are on our list and that we will be able to do, including the Mekong River, Halong Bay, Hanoi's Hotel Metropole, the War Museum, Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc. Keep sharing these various experiences. It's now just over a month till we depart for Hong Kong. The excitement is building!!

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

One thing that is unique to Vietnam (and Hanoi in particular) is a water puppet show. It's not only for children - it's a cultural experience with Vietnamese music and singing accompanying this unique show,

Where else can one see this? :)