Overwater bungalows

Wildblue

I've always loved the South Pacific pictures of those overwater bungalows. You know, those thatched-roof huts at the end of a wood pier walkway, built over shallow aqua-green water.

Where's the best place to get one for the day?

Would love to do exactly that in one of our ports of our upcoming South Pacific cruise. Do nothing but spend the day relaxing in peace. Here's our ports, upcoming 11 Jan 2018 south pacific cruise on the Diamond Princess out of Sydney.

Sydney, Australia

Lifou, New Caledonia

Port Vila, Vanuatu

Dravuni Island, Fiji

Suva, Fiji

Savusavu, Fiji

Lautoka, Fiji

Noumea, New Caledonia

Sydney, Australia

Do you mean visit a resort for the day?

If so from Noumea, Gateway Tours one of the local operators takes tours to Escapade Island, I just checked and it still gets good reviews.

Also in Port Vila, the resorts there, Erakor, Iririki Island, Le Lagoon welcome day guests, some charge a fee which comes off your food and drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, exactly! I debated whether to do a dedicated land vacation, but this time at least, decided on a south pacific cruise. Would love to rent a quiet bungalow for the day and do nothing but sit and relax, maybe read a book. Something like this.

bora_bora_fourseasons212_0.jpg?itok=TTqPMf8e

Peter, thanks for the suggestions--yes, just something simple for the day would be great. Even just an overwater cabana. Wouldn't even need sleeping capabilities, although DW and I might be inclined... er.... never mind.

L'Escapade Ilot Maitre, a half hour from Noumea by boat, has overwater bungalows. The nightly rate seems to be around $US400. You could contact the agency someone suggested above. Noumea is extremely expensive, be warned. If you cannot find somewhere suitable there is an overwater restaurant in Noumea where you could have lunch. It was too expensive for us to try when we were there recently.

• 2 weeks later...