Could we start a list of perks that were discontinued?

love the response:

"Discontinued items on cruise lines:

Thin Passengers - 1995

Well Dressed Passengers - 1998

Well Behaved Passengers - -1999"

Also have to add:

Chew with mouth closed - 2000

Speedos - still happening :confused:

What do you mean by "thin" passengers?

• 2 weeks later...

1987: NCL Skyward allowed you to keep the wine glass when you ordered a specialty drink ....I finally let go of my set of 8 last summer. I still have the free "kooshies" (sp?) they gave us!

1988: RC Sovereign of the Seas gave each passenger a gift box with 2 lovely wine glasses and a bottle of wine. I still have the original gift as we received it. :eek:

1987: NCL Skyward allowed you to keep the wine glass when you ordered a specialty drink ....I finally let go of my set of 8 last summer. I still have the free "kooshies" (sp?) they gave us!

1988: RC Sovereign of the Seas gave each passenger a gift box with 2 lovely wine glasses and a bottle of wine. I still have the original gift as we received it. :eek:

What are "Kooshies?"

What are "Kooshies?"

Koozies (sorry)

Feb 15, 2017 Viking Star - Caribbean

Sep 14, 2015 Viking Star - Med Odyssey

2014 Celebrity Silhouette

2012/2013 Celebrity Equinox

2007/2009 Celebrity Constellation

2006 Celebrity Infinity

2004 Carnival

1988 RC Sovereign of the Seas

1987 NCL M/S Skyward

On ar last cruise we had a guy sitting outside of his cabin with the luggage with only boxers:eek: Found out later he got locked out & had to go downstairs to find his wife & or kids:D How Embarassing:p

If he's sitting there with his suitcase I don't understand why he was wearing only boxers! He should have opened the suitcase and put on some clothes!

Princess doesn't have pool towels either.

What lines still have pool towels?

Carnival does have pool towels but you have to check them out and return them when you're done with them. We are trying Norwegian in less than two weeks. Do they have pool towels?

What do you mean by "thin" passengers?

Hi Susieq0102

I didn’t post “thin passengers”, Jim Gallup did.

I thought Jim Gallup's post was different, original, and funny.

Along with posting free items no longer free, he posted other things he noticed that had changed.

A little different twist to what others were posting.

And, from what I have been hearing, we can now add to the list that some cruise lines are no longer providing "free condoms and 2nd day pills" from the medical center to staff and cruisers.

Below is the post that you were referring to (thin passengers).

Discontinued freebies on cruise lines:

Refrigerated closets for the ladies' furs - About 1968.

Complimentary streamers to throw at sailaway - About 1970

Brass Band on embarkation day - About 1975.

Endless complimentary Beluga Caviar on embarkation day - 1988.

Midnight Buffets - 1995

Free sodas - April 2003

Discontinued items on cruise lines:

Thin Passengers - 1995

Well Dressed Passengers - 1998

Well Behaved Passengers - -1999

Edited by Psych Cruiser

And, from what I have been hearing, we can now add to the list that some cruise lines are no longer providing "free condoms and 2nd day pills" from the medical center to staff and cruisers.

I used to give out a few $2 bills to stand out and be remembered by the wait staff.

Now I guess the new stand out and be remembered tip will be, condoms and morning after pills :)

What a thought :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I recently had a hotel room in Tampa post a nicely worded letter of what any items would cost (and be billed) to be replaced if they were missing upon checkout. I wonder how long before cruise ships start doing that.

Streamers.

Friends coming aboard to see you off before they had to leave.

Chocolates at turn down.

The sheer curtain behind the regular drape in balcony cabins.

Lots more--this is on Carnival.

LOL I forgot about the sheer curtain....that's funny! :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Holland America used to give you those nice HA cotton bags for your shopping at the ports. I have used them for grocery shopping. It's a great ploy to advertise their cruise line. Now, they have those ugly plastic bags. They are weak bags. The old ones that I have had since the 90's are still great as new. Hope they will return with the cotton bags again.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know about the other posters' reasons for opting out. I would opt out for some very common sense reasons.

I'm the only person in my country with my name. My address can be looked up. No way would I let 2,600 people know my name and country of origin.

• 2 weeks later...

I started cruising at 11 with my parents. We always did Carnival. Over the years (about to be 40) I have noticed a few changes, especially since we (my hubby and kids) just came back from a cruise this month.

- No more midnight buffets, hubby thought they *may* have had 1. Which means no more ice sculptures, etc.

- No more meeting the captain for pictures.

- No more chocolate mints at turn down.

- People don't dress up like they used to for elegant night.

- Sorry to say, but some of the passengers..I had to ask my husband, "why are they even here?" for example, some teens were trying to break into a locked room in the arcade, and one of them was holding a wine bottle.

- No more waiters and busboys getting personal, it was all very business like. We used to take pictures of them, and with them. Very sad.

- I used to love that all the workers were from everywhere around the world. Now it seems they are mostly European, and that they do NOT like serving people. But maybe it's just me.

- If you buy the limitless bubbles package you will quickly notice they no longer have multiple servers through out the ship trying to get you drinks. Nope. Now you have to drag your butt to wait in line at a bar every time you want 1 drink, because they most certainly will not give you 2 at a time.

- Toilet brush is now left in the bathroom, or maybe it was just Truimph..grossed me out.

- Lots of unsupervised kids.

- A family actually brought their kids to the lido buffet in pjs. :rolleyes:

We cruised RC in 2010 with my parents. Since it was a "better" cruise line I expected more, but it seems they offer less, and pride themselves on it too. When asked about where the midnight buffets were, a worker looked their nose down when they replied, "We don't do that here." uh, ok.

But it is what you make of it, and we still had a blast. We have booked a cruise on Vista for 2018, and my parents and brother are going too. I am super excited!:D:hearteyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Agree about the endless bubbles, drink packages ruining service. Why hurry to give you drinks when you have already paid them for these in advance? Makes $ sense for cruise line to supply as few as possible.

But my biggest peev has been with Cruise Directors - it seems that instead of actually planning activities for their passengers (all Cruise lines not any in particular) they seem more involved in making their tv show each day then fronting up on stage for 2 minutes each evening - that’s it, all they do!!

When we first started cruising these guys/girls organised so many events each days you wondered where they found the energy - now you just wonder who they are or if the ship even has an activity crew!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in australia its worse p&o and carnival will rarely offer stealks or prawns the meat minute steak flank steak carnival last week had sirloin seems to be sliced by a microsurgeon prawns are always vietnamese or canned tiny ones fish is mahi mahi or basa you will never see a strawberry or mango

p&o charge for fries pizza burgers etc pity if you have kids want a lamb cutlet for dinner forget it

at least princess still offer them

• 3 weeks later...