LAX to Papeete flight arrival time? Whats your experience.

canusa

We are sailing from Papeete in February.

Embarkation day is the 3rd but the ship leaves early 5am on the 4th.

Does O usually fly you in to arrive early a.m. on embarkation day or late that evening ?

Would like to know what people have experienced.

Thanks

We took the air credit and booked our own to arrive four days early. We found a mid afternoon flight from LAX, stayed one night in Papeete then three nights in Moorea. Many, many people did the same thing.

Once on board I felt sorry for the passengers who arrived on the evening of departure. At least two charters arrived in the evening and those passengers pretty much missed the first day on board. They had to be exhausted.

Moral of the story is book your own air or pay deviation fees to arrive at least one day early.

I'd agree go in early and enjoy the island. If you do your own air you have a few choices, Air France for one and Hawaiian Air with a stop in Honolulu or you can lay over for a few days to break up the trip. Trust me on this, we've done the night flight once and never again.

We took the air credit and booked our own to arrive four days early. We found a mid afternoon flight from LAX, stayed one night in Papeete then three nights in Moorea. Many, many people did the same thing.

Once on board I felt sorry for the passengers who arrived on the evening of departure. At least two charters arrived in the evening and those passengers pretty much missed the first day on board. They had to be exhausted.

Moral of the story is book your own air or pay deviation fees to arrive at least one day early.

Overnight flight from LAX on Air France was fine. Arrived about 7 AM but with no luggage. Bummer. Had to deliver it the next day in Moorea. We were not the only ones without luggage so it was good we got there 4 days early. Did have 2 wonderful days in Moorea and 2 days in Papette. Wonderful cruise after we got over the stress of the lost luggage.

Edited by RJB
spelling

Glad you're doing an early flight!

When I discovered that O's air was always that flight that arrives at 9:40pm embarkation day, took the air deviation and arrived early. All those who arrived same day didn't get to their rooms until 11pm, and were exhausted and still unpacked for their excursions the next day. Not a great way to begin your cruise.

We are sailing from Papeete in February.

Embarkation day is the 3rd but the ship leaves early 5am on the 4th.

Does O usually fly you in to arrive early a.m. on embarkation day or late that evening ?

Would like to know what people have experienced.

Thanks

When we did our cruise departing from Papeete, we left LAX at midnight arrived Papeete about 6:00 am and went to one of the pre-cruise hotels for breakfast. Arrived at the ship around 10:00 am. Sail away was about 5:00 pm, if I remember correctly. Had a fabulous cruise, I love the sea.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a 10 day R/T Papeete cruise for February 10, 2019. We live in NY. To break things up, my thought was to fly to CA on 2/5, take an overnight flight to Papeete on 2/7, which would give us 2 nights, 2/8 & 2/9 before the cruise departs. Ideally I would like to stay in an overwater bungalow in Moorea but the prices I saw at the Hilton were astronomical while the Meridian in Papeete was much more affordable. Would it be crazy to ferry over to Moorea to stay for only 1 night and then head back to Papeete for the other night?

We got a great package deal through Tahiti Legends, ferry rides, transfers, three nights at the Intercontinental on Moorea. Three nights was too long, two nights would have been fine. The ferry ride is thirty five minutes so one night is doable.

We also had one night at a non glam hotel downtown Papeete.

We stayed one night in LA. Heeding advice from a TA friend who pointed out you cannot miss the flight to Papeete. There is generally only one flight per day, it it not like you can get on a later flight.

In 2017, we spent one night in LAX in both directions. It really helped with the jet lag. To me it is worth it to go to Moorea for 2 nights. I would consider going to the Hilton in a non over the water bungalow if price is a problem. While, it is great - you will have plenty of water views from the ship.

We are also going on the Feb 10 2019 cruise but have not decided what are flight plans will be. Definitely will overnight in LAX on the way. Gbits - I think that this is now a 12 day cruise.

Yes it is. We originally booked the later February cruise but they cancelled it for a private charter, then changed the February 10 one to a 12 day. Our plan is to do the same, overnight in LA on each end. Am hoping if I book the Moorea Hilton early enough the price will not be as crazy expensive

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...

Well , we just got are air info. for our up coming cruise in Feb,

We leave - LAX @ 3:00pm arrive in Papeete 9 pm

depart - Papeete 8:30am WOW! We should of done our on flights. This will be a our 2nd time to Tahiti & Moorea, I am so glad we enjoyed Tahiti, the first time,it looks like we just arriving late and leaving very early,We thought we would have all morning, and would have all day the last day of are cruise. We be canceling our car rental :( and what is up with the seat assignments they just told me they could send me a confirmation with the airline seats, that they might change because this being a charter flight!:confused:

Well , we just got are air info. for our up coming cruise in Feb,

We leave - LAX @ 3:00pm arrive in Papeete 9 pm

depart - Papeete 8:30am WOW! We should of done our on flights. :confused:

When you take the included air with O it is the luck of the draw unless you pay the deviation fee

Enjoy the cruise

Pay the deviation, fly Air France (yes, it's a red eye but far better flying experience than ATN), get a cab at the airport to take you to the Ferry Dock and go to Moorea for at least 2 nights. Book a garden bungalow at the Hilton or the Manava (used to be the Moora Pearl).

If you want to rent a car (great way to see the island), walk across the road from the Ferry Dock and Avis is right there. Contact PacificCar for best rates.

If you're not renting a car, then the Manava might be a better location because you can walk to various restaurants (Le Mahogany is good) but the beach area and snorkeling is best at the Hilton.

Staying on the island is a way different experience than visiting the islands via ship. Both have their merits most certainly but staying a few days to get over your jet lag and easing into "island mode" is priceless.

And FYI, have your bathing suit, hat and sunscreen where they're easily accessed. Most likely your bungalow won't be ready since you'll arrive at the hotel before noon. Just change into your suit, lather on the sunscreen, and flop onto a sunlounger and take a nap til your room is ready....oh, and a beer might be welcomed too!

After talking to my hubby, you are so right - ORV it is better to flight out @ 8:30 am and like I said we were in Tahiti back in 2010 We did the whole circle the island, for a few days, then we took the ferry to Moorea and stayed a week at the Hilton Moorea in an over water bungalow what a dream that was. cant wait to enjoy Moorea again for the day.