Docking at Fishermans Island Brisbane - Where are the taxis?

cjm66

We will need a taxi when we dock at the Grain Terminal, Fishermans Island in Brisbane - the shuttle into the CBD will not work for us. I cannot work out from the port map where we go to find a taxi or where we would meet up with one that we have booked ahead by telephone. Is it llike other container ports where you cannot walk out but must use a shuttle?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Colleen

It's a pretty bad location for cruisers.

You'll find taxis are right outside the terminal, right next to the cruise line buses so there's no convenience difference between the two, or difficulty getting to them. They will normally have a taxi controller or two there as well, to try to keep taxis arriving, and passengers together. Being remote though, taxis have to make a special trip so supply can be patchy.

Unless you are going to leave at an odd time, or have some special situation there's no point booking ahead. There's not enough space or organisation for special pick-ups so they'll just go into the general queue.

There isn't any dock shuttle either. It's so remote that you can't walk anywhere (unless you wanted to walk 5-10ks!). You're stuck with friends/family, any ship transport, or taxis. And being remote, a taxi will likely cost $60-65 weekdays (including a toll!), and $65-70 weekends to the main city/airport destinations.

Can you tell I don't like the location? :(

Thanks Big M. You have confirmed my fears but also given useful information and yes I can tell you dislike this docking option. We have called into Portside before so may bypass the city and head for Lone Pine by taxi - expensive ( about $80 according to the taxi calculator web site) but we need a car boot for the scooter. Possibly come back to Southbank by boat if the operator advises it is scooter accessible and taxi back to the ship. A pity to go to Brisbane and not enjoy a trip on the river.

Colleen

Edited by cjm66

Sorry, I waffled a bit in my first reply. :-)

Pluses are it's convenient to get on to transport straight off the ship, and well-organised.

Cons are it's costly and remote, and not a very attractive area.

I note you mentioned a scooter. One other thing from my recent Dawn Princess stop there is there wasn't any ramp between the ship and ground that I saw. I only noticed two sets of stairs down to the ground which is how we got down. (Once on the ground, the rest of the access to a taxi is level, aside from going over crane tracks, and cable covers.) While they would obviously have some provision for moving wheelchairs, I'm not sure how it was done. Unfortunately it wasn't by any ramp as far as I saw - everything's at the port is on ground level. I just mention this in case it's something you can check with the cruise line, or might need to allow more time for.

Edited by The_Big_M

Thank you again. I will follow up with people on board to organise getting off if necessary through the stores gangway - we are experienced users of back of house lifts and staff only entrances. If this fails the scooter is small and light weight - it folds to fit into the boot of the car. I need to disasemble it to manage this, but it is a snack to carry for two (or even one) as we find when we tender ashore.

Thanks Colleen

Edited by cjm66

We are sailing on the Celebrity Millenium in November and it also docks at Grain FI Brisbane, does anyone the approximate return cost of the shuttle bus to CBD ant the travel time?

• 4 months later...
We are sailing on the Celebrity Millenium in November and it also docks at Grain FI Brisbane, does anyone the approximate return cost of the shuttle bus to CBD ant the travel time?

Does any one know the price of the shuttle?

Barb

Does any one know the price of the shuttle?

Barb

This varies according to the cruise line - it is not a service provided by the port but is organised by the local shipping agents. About $15 - $20 AUD seems common. The taxi fare will be about $58-$60 and take 30 minutes - probably a longer travelling time for a shuttle bus. It is 25 Km - about 16 miles. I found this information sheet by the Brisbane ports authority. It may help.

http://www.portbris.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6vbkfmd3QA0%3D&tabid=157

The taxi rank is controlled and not a free for all. I did manage to contact the taxi authority who confirmed this. Colleen

Edited by cjm66

• 5 years later...

I recently met someone from a Princess Ship at the Shuttle Stop in Anne Street, Brisbane, near Anzac Square. I was impressed that volunteer Brisbane tourist information officers were set up there under a small marque, with maps and helpful suggestions of what to do and see in Brisbane.