Just back -- Bergen rt on MS Spitsbergen

cruisingbarb

Make sure you know the cost of roaming before you enable data roaming. Since the ship is sailing close to the coast, Mobile data will be available most of the time. However the cost of ship internet might easily be less expensive than data roaming. We did use the standard package for FaceTime.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Make sure you know the cost of roaming before you enable data roaming...

We've used TMobile multiple times in Europe and, as mcpepe said, there was no roaming charge, no charge for text or data, and 20 cents per minute for phone. BUT I first checked with my local TMobile store as to what I had to do/set on my phone to set it up when we arrived in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

The Spitsbergen is also a tad smaller than the mass market cruise ships ;) that's why I was worried. We were <10 round trip passengers on our last HR trip - so always first row seats in the panorama lounge, only one dinner sitting, no shared tables, sheer luxury. But good to hear that the Spitsbergen doesn't feel crowded even when it's nearly fully booked.

We just got off the MS Spitsbergen round trip Bergen to Bergen. This was our first Hurtigruten. We have done many big ship cruises but love the smaller ship. We sailed with 160 passengers.

We found all the dinners excellent, better than those we have had lately on the big ships.

Our weather was good once we left Bergen where it rained all day.

We mostly went into the ports and walked around but did do some excursions.

I think our favorite days were sitting on the top deck in the front of the ship, watching the scenery. I think that unlike a big ship, it's not so much the ports but the scenery that's the reason to sail the fjords. And what is nice about the Spitsbergen is that the whole top deck is pretty open.

Would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks--was smoking on board much of an issue?

My husband and I will be sailing on Feb 6, 2018 on the Spitsbergen (from the USA) - do we need electric converters for the cabin? I'm just hoping THIS cruise goes off. In 2016 we flew to Bergen only to be told that our entire cruise was cancelled. I'm hoping this one won't be the bust we had before. Thanks for sharing your experience.

If whatever’s you are charging is 110/220 compatible, you won’t need a converter but you will need an adapter. It would be the 2 round prong one.

Hopefully you make it this time because it was a wonderful trip. When your cruise was canceled, we’re you still able to make a vacation of it?

If whatever’s you are charging is 110/220 compatible, you won’t need a converter but you will need an adapter. It would be the 2 round prong one.

Hopefully you make it this time because it was a wonderful trip. When your cruise was canceled, we’re you still able to make a vacation of it?

Thank you for the information on adaptors.

Unfortunately we had packed to be on the ship for a week so we weren’t prepared to then travel someplace else. We basically traveled to Bergen were there 3 nights and then flew to London Airport Hilton for one night and then flew back to Los Angeles. I just cried and cried from the disappointment!

One couple had flown from Australia for their honeymoon cruise only to have to go back home. I felt so bad for them, a honeymoon is a one time thing.

It was very disappointing. Hurtigruten did pay our travel expenses (I had used all my miles for first class flights -they gave me $$ to buy the miles back) and 25% off this upcoming cruise.

I’m not leaving the US this time until I call and verify that the ship will be a “go”!

That is too bad. Why did they cancel and why couldn’t they notify people? I can understand why you were so disappointed.

They said that they were refitting the screw on the Midnatsol (the ship we were to be on) for a future cruise to Antartica for that summer. And it wasn't fitting correctly. We were supposed to sail in January. It was a big mess.

They had 3 women in the basement of the hotel trying to rearrange people to other ships and you had absolutely no say in the category you would end up in. And they said that you would join a cruise that had already began with no compensation for the loss days. I guess they were flying people to the ships or by train.

The 3 women were just writing information on paper and the lines were horrendous. No computers and one lady had no way if the other 2 had already given up the rooms on a different ship or not. Very unorganized. So, I called the airline and arranged to change our flight home myself. Then once home I had to go through all of the paperwork to request my refund for my miles, change fees, taxi's to airport etc. They wouldn't pay for loss wages of the days gone since we didn't get our vacation and wouldn't reimburse for the winter clothing we purchased even though we live in Southern California.

We had paid for a full suite so we weren't going to then go into a room where we were in bunks.

When we got home there was a message from Hurtigruten saying "please return our call" - it was left on the day we were to board the ship! We obviously had to be there way before that.

So, we're giving them another chance Fingers crossed they don't mess up this one!

That is really a sad tale of woe, and doesn’t speak well of Hurtigruten. Except for a few minor hiccups such as when we got there to board they didn’t yet have boarding passes printed or that apparently due to a computer glitch everyone had been assigned to early dinner seating, everything else was good. Captain and crew were fun and very attentive, we loved the Spitsbergen and food in the dining room. Can’t think of anything we would have changed so fingers crossed, you will have a fantastic trip.

By the way, we grew up in Huntington Beach and still have family in the area including a sister in Long Beach. Small world.

Hi. Thanks for the great information.

What time did you depart Bergen and also what time did you return? I am trying to coordinate with incoming cruise.

Thanks Tricia

Ship departure times for Bergen does depend on time of the year - summer and autumn departure is 8 pm while 10:30 pm for winter and spring - Ship arrival is 2:30 pm all year.

Interesting.

Any idea why the difference?

GC

Because in summer and autumn, the ships are sailing into Geirangerfjord (summer) and Hjorundfjord (autumn) from Alesund on the second day. The earlier departure from Bergen and a shorter stay in Alesund allows to do this full day sailing and then catching up with the remainder of the schedule from the next day onwards.

Because in summer and autumn, the ships are sailing into Geirangerfjord (summer) and Hjorundfjord (autumn) from Alesund on the second day. The earlier departure from Bergen and a shorter stay in Alesund allows to do this full day sailing and then catching up with the remainder of the schedule from the next day onwards.

Thanks!

Does Hurtigruten always (or maybe I should ask "if they ever") go into Trollfjord in warmer weather?

That's the one thing we'd love to see/do, but won't get a chance given we are sailing in the winter, for more darkness for Northern Lights (mid-March).

Maybe we'll have to go back in the summer...? :)

We've seen some videos of what appear to be ships larger than Hurtigruten's, heading through the Trollfjord. Pretty amazing, it seems. (Is it, in person?)

Our trip, which we booked about a year in advance, now finally seems to be getting close :D

GC

Yes, the ships enter Trollfjord in the Southbound voyage whenever the weather conditions allow. In winter, it is usually dark by the time the ship arrives in Trollfjord anyway. In March it can be light enough, and if the conditions are good it is possible that the ship will peek its nose inside the entrance, which is already pretty impressive. They should not go further because there are risks of avalanche when there is snow on the banks.

On the Northbound voyage the ship also will get near the entrance after leaving Svolvaer but it's fully dark by then, and even though they try to lit up the entrance you actually see very little. It's mostly a commercial plot to try and sell you some "troll mug" to eat "troll soup" (the troll soup, if I remember correctly, can actually be had for free in paper cups! :) ).

Yes, the ships enter Trollfjord in the Southbound voyage whenever the weather conditions allow. In winter, it is usually dark by the time the ship arrives in Trollfjord anyway. In March it can be light enough, and if the conditions are good it is possible that the ship will peek its nose inside the entrance, which is already pretty impressive. They should not go further because there are risks of avalanche when there is snow on the banks.

On the Northbound voyage the ship also will get near the entrance after leaving Svolvaer but it's fully dark by then, and even though they try to lit up the entrance you actually see very little. It's mostly a commercial plot to try and sell you some "troll mug" to eat "troll soup" (the troll soup, if I remember correctly, can actually be had for free in paper cups! :) ).

Thanks. You really know this itinerary inside out!

We'll watch for something, each direction, in case we can see something, but we'll hope most for Southbound then.

What is the Troll Soup?

We might prefer getting the Troll Mugs without the soup, than vice versa :eek:

We didn't choose the ship "Trollfjord" for the name; it just happened to be this particular themed cruise. But it's a bit of fun nevertheless. :)

We're on an "astronomy" themed cruise, with a sub-group headed (occasionally) by an astronomer or physicist (I'm forgetting which is on this particular sail date in mid-March). Hurtigruten doesn't seem to be making it particularly clear just what this special "theme" part will include/involve, other than a "Planetarium" visit. (Is this really only for the astronomy group, or for anyone on board?)

I'm thinking that the "Planetarium" excursion might interfere with the Midnight Concert. Do you happen to know if they might be during different N/S directions of the Round Trip?

We've read your blog; thanks so much for all of that. It's *really* helpful for us newbies in the area, and also with Hurtigruten.

Thanks again!

GC

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. There are (many!) things I don't know about the itinerary though, and among those, I actually have no idea how the "theme" cruises work. I think you may have some conferences on board. With a theme like this in winter, I imagine some animation around the Northern Lights (maybe movies, or someone on board who will help you take pictures?). I really don't know. It would be very interesting if you could report on this when you come back!

The Troll soup is actually good (it's a fish-based soup, if I remember correctly, with some vegetables, it's warm and comforting). The mug is not worth it in my opinion, but some people might find them fun!

Enregistrer