Jewelry

irishwitchy

There are always some passengers that bring out the good stuff. Most of us do not. When you visit places like Brazil (which we will be visiting later on our cruise) Regent recommends that you wear no jewelry -- not even wedding rings).

While I am 100% confident that my jewelry is safe when inside of my suite, I don't see the need to wear anything flashy.

I don't even own anything flashy, but I have some pieces that I normally travel with. Maybe I need to be like Rachel and bring a different pair of shoes for every night! :)

Have to laugh about a different pair of shoes every night. While I wildly overpack I always have three pair of dress shoes...... one black, one gold and one silver with "sort of" matching handbags. I only have 3-4 pair of sandals for during the day and one pair of closed toe shoes. My overpacking has to do with the many tops that I pack to go with my few pair of slacks and one long black skirt.

Ah, a flame free board with no judgements.

I agree a Regent ship is a very safe and secure environment. We have no fear of theft onboard. Anybody that wears lots of jewelry in just about any port should probably reconsider as tourists are often a preferred target for a variety of reasons. Traveling with jewelry can be a hassle as even carryon bags are subject to loss or theft. Clearing airport security usually means minimal jewelry on your person and you can be separated from your bags during the screening process and thus they are subject to accidental or intentional loss. Passing through customs with lots of jewelry also might lead to potential additional screening and thus delay.

I think that the wearing of the good stuff closely parallels the wearing of more formal clothing (although not necessarily by the same people) on a cruise. The trend is away from it. But many people find they have fewer occasions to dress more formally or wear the "good stuff" and being on a luxury cruise can be a nice environment in which to do it. But I'm seeing it less and less. Not saying it is good or bad. in my experience, longer voyages seem to have a bit more bling. Generally a slightly older, more affluent demographic with more occasions to "dress up", either with more formal clothing or jewelry or both. Just my observation - yours could be different. We certainly travel in a more casual way and with less jewelry than we did historically, even on the longer cruises. But some nice stuff is, well, nice

With respect to the shoes - sorry, I'm a guy who travels with three pairs of shoes so I probably cannot relate to the shoes discussion or give a good opinion on it.

Best,

John

My husband can relate to the three pair of shoes comment! I have done lots of land travel to places that nice jewelry isn't a great idea and hence I didn't bring any. Funny, I tried to remove the wedding band and engagement ring before a trip to Costa Rica many years ago and I got stung by a bee two days before the trip while I was in the garden. Yup the bee stung the ring finger and there was no way those rings were coming off!!

Sounds like most folks keep it simple, so that makes sense. Thankfully, I have never had an issue with the security screening folks.

I'm probably the exception for the 'guys with shoes' thing...I always take too many shoes - and I wear them all. I'm trying to cut back, as men's size 11's take up quite a bit of space, but dammit, I need my shoes!! Just a good thing there aren't any formal nights on our shorter cruises as I'd need to bring even MORE shoes. :-)

Good thing Regent has adequate closet space. Usually.

Greetings, Everyone from South Beach. Here's some stuff about jewelry. Forget about shoes for the moment. As veterans of the QM2, we are familiar with three formal days on a crossing. Since we lived in NYC, we drove to the ship and I brought the good stuff to wear only aboard. We never wear real anything off the ship in post, not even our better junk. Here on the Beach, bling depends on the wearer. Sometimes expensive restaurants bring out glitter.

As owners of real stuff acquired over the years, i want to wear it sometimes. So I just do it. When I pack for our December 8th Explorer cruise, mood will determine what makes it into the bag I practically chain to my wrist. At the moment, our favorite watches are our Edition Apple's, my husband's with connectivity. No matter how gorgeous or expensive, watches that just tell time and date are relics of the past. That is, except when we needed them on Explorer's TA from Miami to Barcelona because wifi wasn't always available.

Cruising is about having a good time. With that in mind, bring what adds to your pleasure. There is always jewelry insurance.

Mary

Swiss watches that just tell time and date are relics to some, to others they are exquisite pieces of engineering and workmanship.

Enjoy your Apples, I'll stick to my Breitlings and Rolex.

Greetings from South Beach, tubeamps. I certainly understand your sentiments. I appreciate the fine works and beauty of my real watches, and haven't sold a one of them. I will take one on our next cruise, too. One irrefutable fact about, say, my Rolex is that it will work without wifi. On our Explorer TA in March, my Apple Watch often didn't work. I will also have real earrings along, as well. Without a working Apple Watch, I don't need the white ear buds that let me hear phone calls on the watch.

Mary

Since I've been onboard the Mariner, I have yet to take the time to change necklaces (I have one that I always wear for traveling and it hasn't left my neck). When I think about what I want on the cruise and the reality of what I actually wear is very different. We all want to look nice but most of us are not onboard trying to impress anyone. Tonight I was wearing a navy colored outfit and did manage to put on some Chico's blue bracelets but it would not have mattered to me if I had skipped them.

Regent is definitely not a place for high fashion and expensive jewelry (unless it makes you happy to wear them). It is almost funny that, during the day and especially after excursions in hot weather, passengers look like drowned rats. Then they take a shower and think they need to dress up as if they were models. So, for those new to Regent, my opinion (and my opinion only) is to wear minimal jewelry unless it is something that makes you feel better. I suspect that more people from the East Coast of the U.S. want to dress up more than those of us on the West Coast. My DH's mother had a huge diamond ring that has been sitting in our house for 13 years. I have no interest whatsoever in wearing it or having it redone. To each his/her own.

P.S. When we enter Brazil, ALL jewelry (including wedding rings) come off. This was first suggested by Regent when we first went to Rio and is being repeated for the Amazon (obviously a part of Brazil).

Greetings from South Beach, tubeamps. I certainly understand your sentiments. I appreciate the fine works and beauty of my real watches, and haven't sold a one of them. I will take one on our next cruise, too. One irrefutable fact about, say, my Rolex is that it will work without wifi. On our Explorer TA in March, my Apple Watch often didn't work. I will also have real earrings along, as well. Without a working Apple Watch, I don't need the white ear buds that let me hear phone calls on the watch.

Mary

thats something I didn't consider no wifi and you might be late for your tour:)

I still take my 'good' jewelery with me when i travel. I like to wear the few pieces i have when I go for dinner. When i am off the ship i leave everything secured in the safe.

Mind you my version of good may well not be what other people think of as good.

My wife has been circling the world for 45 years and has always said "Where am I going to wear it, if not on a ship?" Naturally, on land is a different situation.

My wife has been circling the world for 45 years and has always said "Where am I going to wear it, if not on a ship?" Naturally, on land is a different situation.

I say just wear what you want, we all have nice pieces of jewellery and would hope in the grand scheme of things that we can wear what we want and be happy with it.

If we were all to consider that our precious belongings were going to get robbed at every port then why bother having them at all.

Please enjoy your precious and lovely things and remember that the safe in the suite (as far as i have had) are completely safe and you will feel beautiful wearing your special gems onboard.

Pam.

Taking off all jewelry tonight - now that we are in Brazil (recommended by Regent) and would do the same for Barcelona and perhaps Rome. This includes wedding rings, etc. Anyone can Google the top ten pick pocketing cities the world and it behooves you to pay attention.

Taking off all jewelry tonight - now that we are in Brazil (recommended by Regent) and would do the same for Barcelona and perhaps Rome. This includes wedding rings, etc. Anyone can Google the top ten pick pocketing cities the world and it behooves you to pay attention.

Jackie - you just took Brazil off my list as a place to go. I don't like being in places where I can't wear whatever jewellery I want to for starters (even though what I have is by no means "flashy") and I don't like feeling scared. Ken will be thrilled though - he doesn't want to go back to South America anyway!!:)

Jackie - you just took Brazil off my list as a place to go. I don't like being in places where I can't wear whatever jewellery I want to for starters (even though what I have is by no means "flashy") and I don't like feeling scared. Ken will be thrilled though - he doesn't want to go back to South America anyway!!:)

I would take Brazil off of my list (tried to after our first visit but somehow we end up here.) When we were in Rio a couple were taking a walk near the ship. A nice Brazilian lady suggested that the lady go back to the ship and take off her necklace as it could be ripped off of her neck. Unlike other cities where pick pocketing is an issue, Rio can be darn right dangerous. Although not in Rio now, warnings about jewelry has been issued by Regent.

P.S. Gerry, a quick off-topic comment. The Grand suite living room area is too tight - furniture too large for the suite. The 4th chair around the dining room table has to be removed in order to walk to the balcony. However, the bedroom and bathroom are fabulous!!!

I would take Brazil off of my list (tried to after our first visit but somehow we end up here.) When we were in Rio a couple were taking a walk near the ship. A nice Brazilian lady suggested that the lady go back to the ship and take off her necklace as it could be ripped off of her neck. Unlike other cities where pick pocketing is an issue, Rio can be darn right dangerous. Although not in Rio now, warnings about jewelry has been issued by Regent.

The sad thing is that this is nothing new - my first wife worked for Pan-Am years ago and they had a very liberal employee pass program. We had planned on going to Rio for a week but heard so many horror stories from other airline employees that we never went. In fact, one of the ladies in her office had her arm slashed by a purse grabber who used a knife to slash her strap during a grab-and-run. This was in the early 90's - I can only imagine how it is today. Not the kind of place I really want to hang out for even a brief vacation, although we're booked there in January '19. We'll make our decision on how far to wander from the ship/hotel when we're there. :o :mad: