Christmas Cruises: No priests on board but website says otherwise

sarasotascott

Hire a priest, pay for cabin, problem solved

I disagree with Voljeep's post about crackers and wine which was in vary bad taste. I do however totally agree with this post of his. If you want religion on your cruise - pay for it. Don't expect my fare to help pay for it when I do not believe in it. Perhaps the cruise line could put a check box on the booking form providing the travelers to contribute to a fund to pay for a person to lead services. If enough is collect to pay for the leaders fare, they get someone. If there isn't, obviously not enough people really care.

DON

Thanks for the suggestion however Christmas is a holy day for Catholics and they must attend a mass and take communion which can only be consecrated at a mass by a priest.

Is Christmas a port day? If so visit a local church and add to the travel experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

wow - just wow

can't believe my simple , viable solution to a supposedly situation brought on by the posters themselves, caused such an uproar.

maybe next time, you should think about your priorities before booking.

and if anyone believes everything that is posted or not posted on the Princess website, or stated by Princess reps will happen exactly that way, well you are only setting yourselves up for future disappointment.

life happens, things change - I'm pretty sure it's cover by legal at Princess

I read the last sentence. But there is a BIG assumption by the reader here. I read it to state that there will be a room set aside for mass and an inter-denominational church service.

My understanding of catholicism is that a mass would have to be conducted by a priest.

Princess says:

"Guests can also attend Catholic mass and inter-denominational church service."

It doesn't matter to me if a priest is on board. But if princess says on their web site that one can attend mass,

it should either be true, or they should remove the statement from the web site.

I don't think anyone is assuming anything --- other than princess is being honest.

<snip> as all Catholic priests are bound to say Mass every day in any case wherever they are, even if they are alone.

Surprisingly enough, there have been priests traveling on most of the cruises I've been on, and they opened their daily mass to passengers and crew.

To the OP, this does not give you the certitude you need. However, what is published on the Princess web suite is not incorporated into the cruise contract. It doesn't look like you have any recourse other than to do what others have suggested and talk to your parish priest.

I am also on the Regal during that cruise. We are in Antigua on the 25th from 0900-1800. A quick search on the web shows the following catholic churches near the port: Saint Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church, Saint John's Cathedral, Holy Family Cathedral, and Saint Anthony Roman Catholic Church.

For others, there is also Villa Baptist Church, Spring Gardens Moravian Church, Praise Tabernacle, Bible Truth Church of God, and Mount Zion Baptist Church.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to enjoy mass or other services that day.

That's great - go for it - however Voljeep or whatever his handle is not a Christian, perhaps he should join your drivethru chirch - he is a sick, perverted specimen of a human being.

Outrageous assumption , where did you get your degree in Psychology ?

If Princess wants to get into the business of religion then they need to hire a representative from every religion which is impractical.

I am also on the Regal during that cruise. We are in Antigua on the 25th from 0900-1800. A quick search on the web shows the following catholic churches near the port: Saint Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church, Saint John's Cathedral, Holy Family Cathedral, and Saint Anthony Roman Catholic Church.

For others, there is also Villa Baptist Church, Spring Gardens Moravian Church, Praise Tabernacle, Bible Truth Church of God, and Mount Zion Baptist Church.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that the ship would be in Antigua on Christmas Day. There's no reason to skip going on this cruise because of the lack of a priest to celebrate Mass on Christmas.

Problem solved -perfect answer:cool:

The fact that it was on the Princess web site means nothing. I have called them about booking under a promotion that made zero mention of cabin class restrictions. They said that the promo was limited to Balcony or higher so I sent them a copy of what they had online. If one clicked the link for the full terms and conditions of the promo there was absolutely nothing mentioned anywhere about a cabin class restriction. They refused to honor what their site listed and later that day changed the wording of the terms and conditions.

Princess doesn't seem to hire the sharpest spoons in the toolbox for their IT staff. Holding them to what the web site says in a foolish mission.

I also agree with others that I shouldn't have to subsidize the cost of Princess having a Catholic priest on staff. If they do that then they need to have a Jewish rabbi, a Protestant pastor, etc. Where does it end? What about the Muslims? What about the Hindus? Heck, as far as that goes what about the Pastafarians? There are so many different religions that there is no possible way to have the proper type of cleric onboard for all of them.

I also agree with others that I shouldn't have to subsidize the cost of Princess having a Catholic priest on staff. If they do that then they need to have a Jewish rabbi, a Protestant pastor, etc. Where does it end? What about the Muslims? What about the Hindus? Heck, as far as that goes what about the Pastafarians? There are so many different religions that there is no possible way to have the proper type of cleric onboard for all of them.

Totally agree

So, we have learned that information on the Princess website is not always accurate.

I'm not Catholic. But, I think what the OP is saying, is that Catholics have an obligation to attend mass on holy days, and mass can be said only by an ordained priest. So, when the OP discovered that there was no guarantee of a priest on board, the OP was disappointed. ( especially because other cruise lines have a priest on board, apparently funded by an organization called Apostleship of the Seas).

I don't think the OP was expecting that other passengers should pay the costs of booking a priest aboard for services during holy days. Just my opinion, but I don't think that is what the OP was intending to say. - EBC

Eastbay, you got it. Princess said that there would be a Mass, and now they are saying that there will not be a Mass.

No one is asking anyone to pay for a priest. Many cruise lines have priests on board, because many of the crew are Catholic. By providing a priest, the cruise line is not committing to providing clergy from every faith. (By the way, my understanding is that the priests are not paid; they are given a free cruise in exchange for their services.)

If the OP's ship will be in port on Christmas Day, that is the problem solved. Not the problem of Princess giving out misinformation, but of the OP's obligations. I have attended Church in Antigua and on many other Caribbean islands, and they fully satisfied my obligations.

The fact that it was on the Princess web site means nothing. I have called them about booking under a promotion that made zero mention of cabin class restrictions. They said that the promo was limited to Balcony or higher so I sent them a copy of what they had online. If one clicked the link for the full terms and conditions of the promo there was absolutely nothing mentioned anywhere about a cabin class restriction. They refused to honor what their site listed and later that day changed the wording of the terms and conditions.

Princess doesn't seem to hire the sharpest spoons in the toolbox for their IT staff. Holding them to what the web site says in a foolish mission.

Is that a typo? Or do these people worship pasta?

Is that a typo? Or do these people worship pasta?

Pastafarians belong to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Among other things they celebrate "Talk Like A Pirate Day". No, I'm not making it up. Google it. Here is an article about a Pastafarian minister who was re-elected to a New York town council. (No, I am not a Pastafarian.)

navTop4.jpg

Heck, I knew someone who's obituary stated she belonged to the Church of Skippy. The basic tenet of that one is that everybody has an evil twin "Skippy" and "Skippy did it". Granted, it doesn't have the numbers involved with the Pastafarians but... It takes all kinds... ;p

I reckon the Carnival Corp bean counters have something to do with missing Priest(s.) Or other Religious Clergy who traditionally for many years have travelled gratis on the ships, Princess and others.

After all they bring a Priest, Minister, Rabbi, Vicar on, whatever, there are a few cabins that could be sold at a price. :halo:

How about the Church of Bacon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_United_Church_of_Bacon

DON

Pastafarians belong to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Among other things they celebrate "Talk Like A Pirate Day". No, I'm not making it up. Google it. Here is an article about a Pastafarian minister who was re-elected to a New York town council. (No, I am not a Pastafarian.)

navTop4.jpg

Heck, I knew someone who's obituary stated she belonged to the Church of Skippy. The basic tenet of that one is that everybody has an evil twin "Skippy" and "Skippy did it". Granted, it doesn't have the numbers involved with the Pastafarians but... It takes all kinds... ;p

Skippy's not evil he's a cute little Kangaroo.

While there are 6 Catholic churches on the island they are not all convenient to the port. See map: http://www.thecatholicdirectory.com/directory.cfm?fuseaction=display_site_info&sitetype=4&siteid=76059

We have found that often the local churches have early morning Masses, making it problematic if the ship is not cleared for disembarkation until later. For instance the closest church, St John's, typically has Mass at 0830. However the OP will have to check their itinerary to match up with the Masses available on shore. We have phoned to verify the time for our cruises.

Regarding the question of "why have Catholic Masses onboard ship for Christmas?" keep in mind that approximately 24% of the USA population are Catholic, so it makes good business sense to not exclude this set of people from the premium Christmas holiday cruises - the potential loss of business far outweighs the cost of providing an interior cabin for a priest. And remember these holiday cruises cost a whole lot more than a regular cruise.

On a more personal side, I mentioned that we provided music for Midnight and Christmas Day Masses onboard the Emerald Princess one cruise. Mass was held in the Princess Theater, and the theater was FULL for the Midnight Mass and about 2/3 full for the Christmas Day Mass. And the priest also had a Mass below deck for the crew, said in Tagalog for the crew. At the same time, the interdenominational Christian service held by the CD, an ordained minister, filled the Fusion Lounge. The point here is that there is a significant population of Catholics typically onboard a Christmas cruise for which a Mass celebrating the birth of Jesus is a significant event.

Regarding the question of "why have Catholic Masses onboard ship for Christmas?" keep in mind that approximately 24% of the USA population are Catholic, so it makes good business sense to not exclude this set of people from the premium Christmas holiday cruises - the potential loss of business far outweighs the cost of providing an interior cabin for a priest. And remember these holiday cruises cost a whole lot more than a regular cruise.

Princess has not had priests for several years.

Other than this year in the caribbean, I haven't seen any fire-sale prices for holiday cruises.

And, I think the anomaly this year is loss of ports, not loss of priests.