Ending of a cruise and gratuities

billxinli

Hi CC:

The cruise I'm on is coming to an end in two days time. :(.

I'm curious:

- If you've prepaid the gratuities before hand. Do you usually leave a few bucks more for your waiters and stateroom attendants, and if so, how much?

- I'm curious what the pay structure of the employees that are paid with gratuities are like. I've heard everything from low base plus tips. And I've also heard employees telling me that they don't get a base and just get paid via tips.

The wife works in HR and we are just a little surprised at this. (At least by our Canadian standards) it just seems that they earn very little for the amount of hard work and terrible conditions they have to do.

Cheers

If you wish to leave more, leave more. Was that room steward worth another 5, 10, 50 dollars over the week? Did that main waiter assist you yo such a degree that she deserves some extra?

It’s up to you.

The ship’s pay structures aren’t Canadian or even US based. They do what they are allowed to do by the laws that govern them.

Whether there’s base pay for my assistant server or whether there’s none doesn’t come into play when I wonder if throwing an extra $25 (or whatever) his way is justified to me and me alone.

Most of the people in those roles are from impoverished areas of the world. Pocket change to us won’t be pocket change to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always leave extra gratuities for staff that have made our cruise extra special, even though we have prepaid gratuities.

We left the Eclipse two weeks ago and left our room steward, a staff member from the Martini bar, our waiter, assistant waiter and Sommelier an extra $20.00 each.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The crew who participate in the DSC (Daily Service Charge, I refuse to call it a gratuity) pool, are paid a combination of wage and DSC. By law, the minimum wage for seafarers is $614/month, for a 40 hour work week, and overtime at 1.25 times the base wage. While they are not paid hourly, this formula is used to calculate their "wage", which works out to about $1500-1800/month. As long as the DSC portion of their wage is sufficient (enough people leave it in place) to make this minimum wage, the cruise line does not have to do anything, so their wage can vary each week based on DSC. If enough DSC is removed to lower the wage below the minimum, the cruise line has to make up the balance. The DSC makes up about 75-90% of their wage.

As stated, any gratuity you feel you wish to leave above the DSC is completely up to you, and is not expected, and should not be based on anyone else's standards or feelings. If you feel the service you received warranted something extra, then leave a tip, amount totally up to you.

The crew who participate in the DSC (Daily Service Charge, I refuse to call it a gratuity) pool, are paid a combination of wage and DSC. By law, the minimum wage for seafarers is $614/month, for a 40 hour work week, and overtime at 1.25 times the base wage. While they are not paid hourly, this formula is used to calculate their "wage", which works out to about $1500-1800/month. As long as the DSC portion of their wage is sufficient (enough people leave it in place) to make this minimum wage, the cruise line does not have to do anything, so their wage can vary each week based on DSC. If enough DSC is removed to lower the wage below the minimum, the cruise line has to make up the balance. The DSC makes up about 75-90% of their wage.

As stated, any gratuity you feel you wish to leave above the DSC is completely up to you, and is not expected, and should not be based on anyone else's standards or feelings. If you feel the service you received warranted something extra, then leave a tip, amount totally up to you.

Thank you, as always, for truly helpful information.

:)

Thank you for the clarification. I always add to the prepaid daily service charge but didn't realize just how important it is. I do have another question. If we give them cash directly versus adding it to their account, do they have to report it?

We love pre-paid gratuities! Having said that, we always leave something extra for our room stewards (and assistants if they have them) and waiters and their assistants, but it really varies on service. We've left as much as $50 and as little as $10 additional for our room stewards and waiters, depending on service/attitude. Sometimes we tip the people at the Solarium cafe (not sure what it is called now) if we've grabbed lunch there a few times. Sometimes we tip the dining room host and/or maitre d'. It is totally what you are comfortable with and how the service was. On our last cruise our room steward was fine, but not outstanding. He actually neglected to replace one of the pillowcases when he changed the sheets mid-cruise. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :) I left a note the next morning and he took care of it. He was really OK, but very overwhelmed/overworked, I think. We still left him a little extra because any time I left him a note he took care of the request, but as I said, it varies for us depending on the level of service. You know how it is, some room stewards anticipate what is needed and you don't have to ask for things to be replaced, etc., and they truly make your cruise more special. Anyway, I always take cash to tip everyone I can think of and sometimes I come home with $ that go into a tip envelope for the next cruise and sometimes I wish I had taken more tip cash with me because I wanted to give a little to people that I hadn't thought about that were outstanding and really made my cruise an even more special experience...it all just depends.

Thank you for the clarification. I always add to the prepaid daily service charge but didn't realize just how important it is. I do have another question. If we give them cash directly versus adding it to their account, do they have to report it?

Most lines notify the DSC pool crew of cabins that have reduced or removed the DSC, and tell the crew that if they receive cash tips these must be pooled, but whether enforcement is effective is up for debate. If you've left the DSC intact, then they do not need to report it. Even more important is mention in satisfaction surveys or "atta boy" cards that go directly to the supervisors for future evaluations and promotions.

Most lines notify the DSC pool crew of cabins that have reduced or removed the DSC, and tell the crew that if they receive cash tips these must be pooled, but whether enforcement is effective is up for debate.

If I had a salary like the crew and putting "my" $50 tip into the pool would effectively lower my salary just a bit less than $50, while the guest obviously meant it as a gift to me, the lovely steward who did such and such in his spare time, I'm not sure I'd spend much time checking to see if that gift is supposed to be shared. And I wouldn't feel very ashamed either, even knowing that that's not how the system is supposed to work.

Do ships have "mystery guests" to find out if crew members forget about that? (If so, where can I apply for the job? :))

If a steward gets an outrageous tip, like $1000 when DSC was $150 but it was removed, and he's honest about it, does he get to keep the $850?

We always tip room steward extra (always get great service) we tip specialty restaurants when we eat, might give our favorite bartenders a bigger tip ( we eat only a couple of meals in MDR) , but this is totally up to you and service you get

We always tip room steward extra (always get great service) we tip specialty restaurants when we eat, might give our favorite bartenders a bigger tip ( we eat only a couple of meals in MDR) , but this is totally up to you and service you get

Pure curiosity, George.

Now that RC is adding 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurant charge, will you tip above that?

My approach has changed and evolved over time to be honest. These days I pay the auto-gratuity and expect that to fully cover any tips that crew members might otherwise expect.

I pay an additional amount to the room steward if the service has been exceptional. Examples : problems identified and fixed even before we notice or have to report. Getting room ready in a way which minimises inconvenience to us to by understanding or anticipating our schedule. Dealing with simple requests like ice without having to chase or remind. I don't pay anything extra just for servicing my room. Has to be exceptional.

I don't generally pay anything extra to dinning room waiters, restaurant managers, bar staff etc. There are exceptions of course when someone repeatedly goes out of their way and really impresses me with quality of service.

I know that some CC regulars get bored with this topic keep coming up but I believe it is important to discuss and share what we do. It can get a little controversial but lets stick to sharing what we do and not get into what others should do.

Hi CC:

The cruise I'm on is coming to an end in two days time. :(.

I'm curious:

- If you've prepaid the gratuities before hand. Do you usually leave a few bucks more for your waiters and stateroom attendants, and if so, how much? last several cruises, no. they earned the daily surcharge but did not go over and above enough to warrant more.

- I'm curious what the pay structure of the employees that are paid with gratuities are like. I've heard everything from low base plus tips. And I've also heard employees telling me that they don't get a base and just get paid via tips. I don't bother with the ins and outs. I don't grill my waiter at any sit down restaurant how he makes his money either.

The wife works in HR and we are just a little surprised at this. (At least by our Canadian standards) it just seems that they earn very little for the amount of hard work and terrible conditions they have to do. compared to what they could be making in their home countries, they are raking in the dough. if they can even find a job at all, let alone that pays a living wage.

Cheers

Tain't none of my beeswax how things are parsed out. they ( the employees) like the way things are done well enough to work multiple contracts with the cruise lines, often staying for years at a time. since the established protocol is the daily fees the passengers are charged is considered to be sufficient, I also don't fret over whether or not they 'deserve' more from us.

- If you've prepaid the gratuities before hand. Do you usually leave a few bucks more for your waiters and stateroom attendants, and if so, how much?

No, they get $40.50 per day from us every day as it is.

You have to remember a couple things. You are not the only person they attend to, thus you are not the only person tipping them. Tips are not the only thing they get.

Americans, and perhaps Canadians, feel socially obligated to leave more because they're programed from near birth that they shouldn't leave a restaurant without leaving something on the table (or receipt in today's credit card world). But with the auto-gratuities you ARE leaving a tip. So leaving anything more is just tipping twice, something you don't need to do nor are obligated to do. Go to Australia or Asia, and perhaps even the Med and next to nobody will leave extra because they already paid them in their fare and they aren't raised with such an obligation.

Could you enlighten us as to what you mean by "By law". Which country has pass this law and how is it enforced in International waters. Which country has jurisdiction if the ship is homeport in another country and how does your statement that "By law" is to be adjudicated.

Your other statement about $1500-1800/month is very high according to the "common knowledge" we read in these forum. The other things about 40 hour work week and other things you said did excite me but I think we would just deal with what you mean by "By law".

Could you enlighten us as to what you mean by "By law". Which country has pass this law and how is it enforced in International waters. Which country has jurisdiction if the ship is homeport in another country and how does your statement that "By law" is to be adjudicated.

Your other statement about $1500-1800/month is very high according to the "common knowledge" we read in these forum. The other things about 40 hour work week and other things you said did excite me but I think we would just deal with what you mean by "By law".

Maritime law.

And he works on ships. Cheng = chief engineer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The IMO (International Maritime Organization) and the ILO (International Labor Organization) have promulgated the MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention), which governs the working conditions of all seafarers, including pay, much like the IMO's SOLAS Convention governs safety on all ships. Currently, 84 nations have ratified the MLC, including nearly every maritime flag nation. Ratification of international conventions like this require the ratifying nation to pass "enabling" legislation so that the terms of the international convention are included in law in that country. Labor law is the jurisdiction of the flag state, regardless of where the ship is in the world. "Port states", those nations where ships make port calls have the right to enforce the MLC conventions if they are found to be not followed on a ship. This is just like the USCG inspecting foreign flag cruise ships, they can enforce the SOLAS regulations, but not their own more stringent regulations that apply to US flag ships.

The figure I quoted is inclusive of the DSC. As I stated, the DSC can, and is, used to reach the minimum wage. As for the 40 hour work week, again as I said, while the crew on cruise ships are not paid hourly, the MLC sets the minimum wage as being for a 40 hour work week (since the vast majority of seafarers are not cruise ship crew, and they are paid hourly), and defines any hours in excess of 40 hours per week to be overtime, payable at a rate of 1.25 times the base hourly rate.

If you take the minimum wage of $614/month, and divide by 320 (four 40 hour weeks), you get an hourly minimum of $3.83. This, again, is made up of both a base wage and DSC. Now, 1.25 times $3.83 is $4.79, and if you figure that the crew is working the mandated maximum number of hours allowed by the STCW (Standards of Training, Competency, and Watchkeeping, another international convention applying to seafarer's work conditions) of 14 hours/day, this means a 98 hour work week. Taking out the 40 hours of base wage, means they get 58 hours of overtime, or $277.82/week. This results in a monthly minimum of about $1700. Working 12 hours/day results in $1400/month, so my original figures are a little low. Again, all of this is just calculations, and the crew contracts specify a monthly compensation equal to these figures, without the hourly breakdown, composed of both wage and DSC.

Also note that while the, say, $1800/month figure, is only for the months of the contract, so if the crew works a 10 month contract, they earn $18,000/year, but this averages out to be $1500/month over the 12 months of the year.

Pure curiosity, George.

Now that RC is adding 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurant charge, will you tip above that?

I pre booked almost everything so avoiding it for cruise this week, but most likely would give a small tip for good service

The IMO (International Maritime Organization) and the ILO (International Labor Organization) have promulgated the MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention), which governs the working conditions of all seafarers, including pay, much like the IMO's SOLAS Convention governs safety on all ships. Currently, 84 nations have ratified the MLC, including nearly every maritime flag nation. Ratification of international conventions like this require the ratifying nation to pass "enabling" legislation so that the terms of the international convention are included in law in that country. Labor law is the jurisdiction of the flag state, regardless of where the ship is in the world. "Port states", those nations where ships make port calls have the right to enforce the MLC conventions if they are found to be not followed on a ship. This is just like the USCG inspecting foreign flag cruise ships, they can enforce the SOLAS regulations, but not their own more stringent regulations that apply to US flag ships.

The figure I quoted is inclusive of the DSC. As I stated, the DSC can, and is, used to reach the minimum wage. As for the 40 hour work week, again as I said, while the crew on cruise ships are not paid hourly, the MLC sets the minimum wage as being for a 40 hour work week (since the vast majority of seafarers are not cruise ship crew, and they are paid hourly), and defines any hours in excess of 40 hours per week to be overtime, payable at a rate of 1.25 times the base hourly rate.

If you take the minimum wage of $614/month, and divide by 320 (four 40 hour weeks), you get an hourly minimum of $3.83. This, again, is made up of both a base wage and DSC. Now, 1.25 times $3.83 is $4.79, and if you figure that the crew is working the mandated maximum number of hours allowed by the STCW (Standards of Training, Competency, and Watchkeeping, another international convention applying to seafarer's work conditions) of 14 hours/day, this means a 98 hour work week. Taking out the 40 hours of base wage, means they get 58 hours of overtime, or $277.82/week. This results in a monthly minimum of about $1700. Working 12 hours/day results in $1400/month, so my original figures are a little low. Again, all of this is just calculations, and the crew contracts specify a monthly compensation equal to these figures, without the hourly breakdown, composed of both wage and DSC.

Also note that while the, say, $1800/month figure, is only for the months of the contract, so if the crew works a 10 month contract, they earn $18,000/year, but this averages out to be $1500/month over the 12 months of the year.

Sorry, I dont buy this one bit. There are 200 odd countries in the world and 84 of the richest nations in the world don't count. Why are ships worldwide flying the flag of convenience of the third world countries like Panama and the likes. Your theory about the IMO and the ILO is correct but reality is something else.