From Onboard Explorer

We just got off Explorer in Rome, good week. Lots of first timers were onboard. We had trouble with the balcony door not locking and whistling the 1st day, but found that if you lift the handle up first, then push it down it will lock in place.

I think you are onto it. When the door is properly locked, there is no whistle.

Jackie - we will miss you on the Explorer- this could have been our 3rd thanksgiving together.

Yes, I remember "We are Explorer!" Hope we sail together again on the LAX- MIA - Explorer- 3/2020.

The door in our cabin locks properly, so that is not the issue. The whistle (and draft) were coming from a tiny gap where the sliding door and stationary door meet. Several of us had the same problem on the Crystal Serenity last year, and the engineering folks replaced a part. It was fine after that.

We did not have the whistling last night. But then the winds were calmer last night, so the noise the previous night may have been an unfortunate combination of high winds and the ship’s specific heading that caused the wind to come through our window. We will see what future nights bring—particularly during the crossing in a couple of weeks.

Today is Monte Carlo, and the weather is gorgeous. Had a good excursion today to Eze and Nice. John Barron is doing his show tonight (and it looks like announcing the new ship’s name), and we will be trying Chartreuse.

We are happily settled in on this lovely ship. She’s a beauty. I love the decor in most of the common spaces. There’s a few decor choices I’d argue against (I’m looking at you, carpet and chandelier in the atrium area), but by and large the interior is quite nice. I particularly like the restaurants and the art work around the ship.

Our cabin (E—concierge) is quite nice. Plenty of drawer space and room to move around. Seating is not particularly comfortable, but will do. Nice layout of beds facing the window. Large balcony, though it’s rather chilly here so I don’t know how much we’ll be able to use it. We do have a problem with our balcony door. The wind whistles through it at night, and there is a terrible draft from it. Not clear that they’ll be able to fix. They’ve offered to move us, but given that we’re onboard for the next cruise too, we’d wind up having to change rooms again for that—and probably back to this one. So we likely will just have to live with it.

The bathroom is very nice, with a double sink and lots of drawer space. The marble in the shower and on the floor is stained yellow already. Interestingly, we saw the same type of staining in our pre-cruise hotel bathroom in Rome. Not sure what’s causing it. It’s not a problem; more a curiosity that it has happened so early in the ship’s life.

Will post more below.

We had the same problem last year on the explorer re balcony door but they were able to fix it

Greetings from South Beach, WishIweretraveling. Thank you for posting. I am looking forward to your posts. They are very enjoyable. We sailed Miami/Barcelona on Explorer in March. It is a wonderful ship. On December eighth, we board her again for a jaunt around the Caribbean, and today we received our cruise documents. The day you get off, we get on. Have a wonderful time.

Mary

I’ve now done 5 included excursions. As someone who was not a fan of the included excursions, I have to say that I’m fairly impressed. There’s only been one turkey in the 5. Today’s was, in fact, quite wonderful. I have to say that Regent’s description of it did not do it justice. I almost pulled out to just take the shuttle into town, but decided at the last moment to go with it. It was to a family-run bodego/winery in Mallorca, and was great fun.

I had not been on a Regent cruise since not long after they excursions started being included. Things were a bit of a mess back then, but have come a long way, The program is well-run and efficient. To enjoy them, you have to accept that you are on a bus tour. But that’s the nature of ship excursions.

While some excursions are more crowded than others, I’ve yet to see a full bus. Group sizes have ranged from 20 (an nicely-sized group) to 40 (too many). The guides are generally good, though we had one who was not so much so. On tours of more than 4 hours, free time is generally worked in, On most, this works well. You have your guided time, and then tine to pursue your own interests, This did not work so well in Florence only because the weather was so awful , and it was a Monday and the museums were closed. Otherwise, it would have been great.

It also was not so nice in Aix-en-Provence because the guide was pretty awful in the first place (talked too fast, and was not terribly informative) and was unable to give any guidance as to things to do in our free time if you didn’t want to shop, A simple map could have made the world of difference.

Others, however, were terrific, and so worth doing.

I’ll be taking a couple fo all-day “Regent Choice” excursions in the coming days, so will comment on those once done.

I’ve now done 5 included excursions. As someone who was not a fan of the included excursions, I have to say that I’m fairly impressed. There’s only been one turkey in the 5. Today’s was, in fact, quite wonderful. I have to say that Regent’s description of it did not do it justice. I almost pulled out to just take the shuttle into town, but decided at the last moment to go with it. It was to a family-run bodego/winery in Mallorca, and was great fun.

I had not been on a Regent cruise since not long after they excursions started being included. Things were a bit of a mess back then, but have come a long way, The program is well-run and efficient. To enjoy them, you have to accept that you are on a bus tour. But that’s the nature of ship excursions.

While some excursions are more crowded than others, I’ve yet to see a full bus. Group sizes have ranged from 20 (an nicely-sized group) to 40 (too many). The guides are generally good, though we had one who was not so much so. On tours of more than 4 hours, free time is generally worked in, On most, this works well. You have your guided time, and then tine to pursue your own interests, This did not work so well in Florence only because the weather was so awful , and it was a Monday and the museums were closed. Otherwise, it would have been great.

It also was not so nice in Aix-en-Provence because the guide was pretty awful in the first place (talked too fast, and was not terribly informative) and was unable to give any guidance as to things to do in our free time if you didn’t want to shop, A simple map could have made the world of difference.

Others, however, were terrific, and so worth doing.

I’ll be taking a couple fo all-day “Regent Choice” excursions in the coming days, so will comment on those once done.

By any chance, was this the Mallorca excursion? We did this last year and it was a wonderful experience! We had a moment, however, when our bus finally climbed the mountain to the vineyard and the gates were locked. It was a Sunday and the young staff must have had a late night. We sat for about 10minutes while the guide burned his cellphone, and, voila, gates opened and we had a memorable visit. 7d071b9d24b6d38e481f71cf9eee20c4.jpgae469fabd2598c30f36017944c6ab570.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By any chance, was this the Mallorca excursion? We did this last year and it was a wonderful experience! We had a moment, however, when our bus finally climbed the mountain to the vineyard and the gates were locked. It was a Sunday and the young staff must have had a late night. We sat for about 10minutes while the guide burned his cellphone, and, voila, gates opened and we had a memorable visit. 7d071b9d24b6d38e481f71cf9eee20c4.jpgae469fabd2598c30f36017944c6ab570.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ours was a different bodega. The whole tour was conducted by the son of the original owner, who also participated even though she spoke no English. They had a collection of tools that they had made into a museum. The latter was surprisingly interesting, and mama and her son made the wine tour and tasting (well, really, more drinking than tasting) a lot of fun.

Moving topics from wine to whine, I have to say that I’m very disappointed in the coffee on this ship. I always expect that the coffee being poured in the morning will be awful, and usually that expectation is met. Here, it seems particularly bad. But I can usually get a decent cup by ordering Cafe Americano. But except for two cups early on, even that is bad—almost as anemic as the coffee they pour.

We do have a concierge suite, so have an in-room coffee maker. But that, too, makes bad coffee. I’m coming to the conclusion that the problem is the brand of coffee they are using, illy. It is used in the cafe and the machines as well as the room. I don’t think the water is the problem—I’m using bottled water in the in-room coffee maker.

The one way to get somewhat drinkable coffee is to get a french press from the Cafe. That way, I can let it sit long enough to get nice and strong and thus overcome the lack of body and flavor.

OK, whine/rant over. If that’s the worst thing about this cruise—and it is—it’s a pretty wonderful cruise. And it is.

You can get a French press at the cafe? Who knew! We usually bring a light weight travel French press and ground French roast coffee. I then get water from the machine or order it from room service. Life is too short to drink bad coffee in the morning.

Coffee - just like food is so subjective. Some people in the U.S. love coffee in restaurants while others think that it is not much better than water. On the other hand, some people think that Starbucks is too strong while others love it. I drink very little coffee (sometimes do a French coffee with brandy) but my DH drinks coffee every day and has no problem whatsoever with Regent's coffee (except for the coffee served in CR). Make up your own mind since what you enjoy may not be what others enjoy. Just some unsolicited advice:)

We are enjoying our second day docked in Cadiz. Yesterday I took an all-day excursion to Seville, a truly beautiful city. I continue to love the way Regent structures these trips to cities distant from the port, with a walking tour in the morning and free time in the afternoon. Alas, although the guide had given us maps, I went the wrong way on the way back to the meeting point, and thus rather than my usual a bit early arrival, I got there late, and missed the departure of my tour. Fortunately, there was another tour with a later departure, so I returned with them. I had a good chat with Destination Services about the experience, and about ways this kind of thing can be prevented in the future.

I once again have to compliment Destination Services. They are so efficient and gracious, and are extremely helpful with planning our time ashore. I am actually becoming a convert to the included excursions idea. It has shifted this department’s focus from being salespeople for a profit center to a role of ensuring that passengers have the best possible experience on their cruise.

I’ve now done two Regent Choice excursions, and find that the main difference between these and fully included tours is the number of people in the group. The included tours have 30-some in most groups, the ones with extra charges 20-some. I do prefer the smaller groups, but I don’t think that will govern my choices. Instead, it will continue to be the content of the tours.

On some other subjects:

-Communications. This is something you generally notice only when it is not going well. However, I am noticing it on this trip because it is done so well. I was on the Crystal world cruise last year, and most of their failures arose from poor communications. Here, we get the info we need, stated clearly, in plenty of time to use the info.

-Lounges. There are several on board, and people do develop favorites. We find ourselves in the Meridian lounge most often. I can’t really say why, other than it’s the one closest to our cabin. The observation lounge is lovely and comfortable. However, I do wish for an outside deck to step out for photos or fresh air.

-Food. I love the new menu set-up in Compass Rose. I’ve yet to make my way through many of the everyday dishes, but am enjoying the effort. The three reservation-based specialty restaurants are quite good. I do find the food in Sette Mare a bit heavy for my taste, but the one night we were there, it was packed, so clearly many people do like it. In all, there’s been a miss here or there on some dishes, but on the whole, it is well done.

-Service. Impeccable. Friendly and efficient. Not a misstep to be found.

-Whines. In the category of “if this is the worst you can find, it must be one fine ship,” I have two pet peeves. One is the chairs in Compass Rose and La Veranda. Or, more accurately, the carpeting. It is hard to move the chairs over the carpeting, making it difficult to pull your chair up to the table without assistance. Second, the ladies’ rooms in the public spaces. They are very pretty, but the doors do not have the red/green indicators to show if the stall is occupied, leaving one to test the handles to find an empty one.

Seriously, that (and the coffee) is the worst I can say about this ship. Which tells you what a great ship it is.

I am so happy to be back on Regent after a 5-year absence. I had read all the “it’s gone downhill under the new ownership” reviews, but I just don’t see it. If anything, it has gotten better, with previous weak spots (like Destination Services) worked out.

Looking forward to greeting the new arrivals on the ship in Lisbon in a couple of days, but will be sad to say goodbye to new friends who are disembarking there.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about life on the Explorer.

On some other subjects:

-Communications. This is something you generally notice only when it is not going well. However, I am noticing it on this trip because it is done so well. I was on the Crystal world cruise last year, and most of their failures arose from poor communications. Here, we get the info we need, stated clearly, in plenty of time to use the info.

-Lounges. There are several on board, and people do develop favorites. We find ourselves in the Meridian lounge most often. I can’t really say why, other than it’s the one closest to our cabin. The observation lounge is lovely and comfortable. However, I do wish for an outside deck to step out for photos or fresh air.

-Food. I love the new menu set-up in Compass Rose. I’ve yet to make my way through many of the everyday dishes, but am enjoying the effort. The three reservation-based specialty restaurants are quite good. I do find the food in Sette Mare a bit heavy for my taste, but the one night we were there, it was packed, so clearly many people do like it. In all, there’s been a miss here or there on some dishes, but on the whole, it is well done.

-Service. Impeccable. Friendly and efficient. Not a misstep to be found.

-Whines. In the category of “if this is the worst you can find, it must be one fine ship,” I have two pet peeves. One is the chairs in Compass Rose and La Veranda. Or, more accurately, the carpeting. It is hard to move the chairs over the carpeting, making it difficult to pull your chair up to the table without assistance. Second, the ladies’ rooms in the public spaces. They are very pretty, but the doors do not have the red/green indicators to show if the stall is occupied, leaving one to test the handles to find an empty one.

Seriously, that (and the coffee) is the worst I can say about this ship. Which tells you what a great ship it is.

I am so happy to be back on Regent after a 5-year absence. I had read all the “it’s gone downhill under the new ownership” reviews, but I just don’t see it. If anything, it has gotten better, with previous weak spots (like Destination Services) worked out.

Looking forward to greeting the new arrivals on the ship in Lisbon in a couple of days, but will be sad to say goodbye to new friends who are disembarking there.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about life on the Explorer.

Who is playing in Explorer Lounge