How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

@computer nerd,

You get the benefit for owning the stock.

Carnival Corp does not care how you bought it!

You don't "buy stocks through your IRA".

Your IRA doesn't sell you stock.

It is just like a box in which you are putting the stock.

The company with which you have your IRA may sell you stock . Your question shows that you are not completely understanding what an IRA is and perhaps that is something you should read about a bit more.

Wow, really? I know exactly what an IRA is and have had one since 2002 but I have never put individual stocks in it or know if they are seen differently by the company who issued them. My question was simply if the stock is held within an IRA does it count for the OBC. You could have simply said "Yes" without all of the snide, I'm better than everyone else remarks. :rolleyes:

But thank you for finally giving the correct answer after Micah's prompt.

Off to buy some stock now. :)

Edited by Computer Nerd

Sorry I did not understand your question.

IF you had asked it the way you just clarified it now I would have simply answered it.

Asking if the stock can be bought "through your IRA" as compared to "buying through e trade" to me made little sense since your IRA doesn't sell stock.

The way your original question was worded sounded like you didn't understand what the IRA was and in fact you may have one in a company that only allows you to buy certain items that they sell. You say you have never put individual stocks into it which may mean you can only put in those funds offered by your company.

This is not the best place to get stock info so that is why I was suggesting you may need more about your specific IRA and its rules.

Sorry I did not understand your question.

IF you had asked it the way you just clarified it now I would have simply answered it.

Asking if the stock can be bought "through your IRA" as compared to "buying through e trade" to me made little sense since your IRA doesn't sell stock.

The way your original question was worded sounded like you didn't understand what the IRA was and in fact you may have one in a company that only allows you to buy certain items that they sell. You say you have never put individual stocks into it which may mean you can only put in those funds offered by your company.

This is not the best place to get stock info so that is why I was suggesting you may need more about your specific IRA and its rules.

I agree that this isn't the best place to get stock advice but i didn't really ask for stock advice. I only asked if Carnival would still give the OBC if the stock was located in an IRA because I assume many here have IRA's and CCL stock. But anyway, thanks. I'll be getting my 100 shares after I get home after New Years. Yea!!

I have purchased Carnival shares and mailed an application for the shareholder benefit to be applied as an OBC on our next cruise with Carnival in January. Where can I confirm that the benefit has been applied? Princess has something called a cruise personalizer where you can see your balance. I can't find anything similar on the Carnival website.

I realize that this is somewhat off-topic, but hope that somebody who has used the shareholder benefit can answer my question. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
From my understanding, if you do it inside of an IRA, there is no trading fee.

They still charge a fee. I do a lot of trading and unless you get a promotion it's usually around $7.95 per. The beauty of trading in your IRA is that at the end of the year you won't be digging thru statements trying to fill out a profit or loss statement on your taxes.

They still charge a fee. I do a lot of trading and unless you get a promotion it's usually around $7.95 per. The beauty of trading in your IRA is that at the end of the year you won't be digging thru statements trying to fill out a profit or loss statement on your taxes.

Use TurboTax nor HRBblock to complete your taxes. Both will download your transaction details from most brokers directly for tax reporting. I'd cringe to think of doing that manually with my accounts. Have funds that trade automatically and generate hundreds of trades a year (no fees for autotrades).

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Edited by bobandsherry

So you're saying that Fidelity, which has never charged me a fee for purchasing mutual funds through them will charge a fee to buy an individual stock? Not going to change anything.....I'm just surprised.

Use TurboTax nor HRBblock to complete your taxes. Both will download your transaction details from most brokers directly for tax reporting. I'd cringe to think of doing that manually with my accounts. Have funds that trade automatically and generate hundreds of trades a year (no fees for autotrades).

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Always something to learn here. Thanks.

So you're saying that Fidelity, which has never charged me a fee for purchasing mutual funds through them will charge a fee to buy an individual stock? Not going to change anything.....I'm just surprised.

Yeah, they're going to charge you when buying an equity AND I think only Fidelity mutual funds are fee free. If you buy another company mutual there will be a charge.

There is a brokerage transaction fee on non-Fidelity funds or stocks purchased through Fidelity. This is not unique to Fidelity.

Yeah, they're going to charge you when buying an equity AND I think only Fidelity mutual funds are fee free. If you buy another company mutual there will be a charge.

Fidelity charges $7.95 for each stock trade regardless of the number of shares bought or sold or our value of the trade.

You are correct there is no charge to buy a mutual fund. However they do charge an annual management fee that is basically hidden to the owner of the mutual fund. It is deducted from the gain or add it to the loss. You don't see it as an itemized number on any annual statements. They provide it as a percentage in the prospectus.

Stocks are much more efficient from a fee perspective.

Fidelity charges $7.95 for each stock trade regardless of the number of shares bought or sold or our value of the trade.

You are correct there is no charge to buy a mutual fund. However they do charge an annual management fee that is basically hidden to the owner of the mutual fund. It is deducted from the gain or add it to the loss. You don't see it as an itemized number on any annual statements. They provide it as a percentage in the prospectus.

Stocks are much more efficient from a fee perspective.

Thank you. Just waiting now till the end of the month to see if the stock will drop someone.

Hubby and I both have rollover IRA accounts with Fidelity. I have 100 shares of Carnival in his account and 100 shares of Carnival in my account. This way if we travel with kids, we'll book us into separate cabins to get the shareholder benefits in each cabin. Also nice to have shares in my name for when I cruised with just my mom and not my hubby.

Fidelity charges $7.95 per transaction to buy or sell any quantity of a single stock holding.

The stock pays $1.00/year in dividends.

The shareholder benefits are good on every cruiseline that Carnival owns. We did a 14 day cruise with Princess and Holland America and received $250 onboard credit on each of those cruises. We've also earned at least $500 onboard credit with most of our Carnival cruises as well. The stock was only about $29/share when we bought it, so for a $2900 investment, we've already received $1,000 in shipboard credit, plus about $500 in dividends since our purchase. Right now their stock sells for about $52/share. Those shipboard credits really add up, and there's no limit to how many times you can claim it.

All you have to do is email a copy of your brokerage statement along with your booking information. They apply the credit pretty quickly. We also bough RCCL stock to get the same benefits on their ships.

• 10 months later...

I had my financial adviser buy my 100 shares in my IRA account. I have had it for 3 years and it has gone from $47 a share to $67 right now. I have sailed on 7 day cruises 4 times each year ($100 )BC for each) for $400 plus about $100 annual dividend. That is over 7% a year not including the $2000 price increase, all tax free. And we ended up this year with a 14 day Journeys cruise that had $250 OBC for the stock. Just some cold, hard facts.

Be aware that Carnival in their Terms states that this OBC policy must be renewed every year. There’s no guarantee it will exist next year.

True, but this has been in place and renewed since, at least, 2003 when we started cruising.

Further, if you think through the marketing tool being used here, it is a great way to incur loyalty to CCL brands.

If I was faced with a 14 day HAL or Princess cruise for $xxx that would receive $250. OBC, and a Celebrity cruise for near the same $xxx with little or no OBC, you can easily see which I would choose. (kinda wonder why 'X' shareholder benefit is so nearly impossible to get)

You'll do ok investing on your own without a broker , Go with Scottrade

$7.00 to buy $7.00 to sell , $500.00 will open you an account ,add to it as you like . Just invest what you are confortable with . Have'nt looked at Carnival stock price lately 100 shares are around $3500.00

We bought 100 shares of Carnival stock in August, it was $6,600.