Welcome To Viking Ocean!

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the Viking Oceans Forum. I'm pleased to have the honor of the first post !

Host Faith & I will be moderating this forum. We look forward to discussing all things Viking Oceans, as they prepare for the launch of Viking Star in April 2015. I'd like to wish everyone at Viking Oceans all the very best of success in their new venture.

If there's anything I can do to assist, you are always welcome to email me by clicking on the link below. Thanks very much, and enjoy the forum !

Edited by Host Andy
  • Like 1

I am looking forward to finding out more about Viking Oceans Cruises. We have done Azamara, Oceania and Silversea cruises and Azamara is our clear favourite at the moment, but we are looking for maybe a younger demographic cruiseline and I'm hoping that Viking Oceans may be it.

Looking forward to more details of itineraries etc.

Hello Andy! Librarylady19 and I (and our respective husbands) are seriously looking into sailing on the Viking Star in April '15. You might be seeing a lot of us on this forum. It's very exciting!

Welcome to the Viking Oceans Forum. I'm pleased to have the honor of the first post !

Host Faith & I will be moderating this forum. We look forward to discussing all things Viking Oceans, as they prepare for the launch of Viking Star in May 2015. I'd like to wish everyone at Viking Oceans all the very best of success in their new venture.

Andy and Faith,

Thank you so much for initiating this new forum. I know it will be particularly helpful for those of us who are "early adopters" of cruising on the Viking Star.

Is seems to me that the cruise line boards are typically for discussion of the cruise line and that the Roll Calls are for discussion of issues related to specific cruises and particularly for meeting others on the same cruise. Most of the other lines have corresponding Roll Calls but not Viking Oceans. Could you clarify the intended organization. Obviously at this point participation in any specific cruise roll call would be very limited. Even so, cruisers may want to identify others who are sharing a cruise with them. How do you envision that being done with the current organization?

Thanks again for organizing this.

-- roy --

Echo Cruisingator2, and Roy's sincere thanks Faith & Andy.

Also, in the vein of Roy's comment above, we have started our Viking Homelands voyage roll call in the Other Roll Call section under P-Z cruiselines. Andy/Faith, if y'all decide to include Viking Oceans as a separate roll call, pls consider moving this thread there.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Andy and Faith,

Thank you so much for initiating this new forum. I know it will be particularly helpful for those of us who are "early adopters" of cruising on the Viking Star.

Is seems to me that the cruise line boards are typically for discussion of the cruise line and that the Roll Calls are for discussion of issues related to specific cruises and particularly for meeting others on the same cruise. Most of the other lines have corresponding Roll Calls but not Viking Oceans. Could you clarify the intended organization. Obviously at this point participation in any specific cruise roll call would be very limited. Even so, cruisers may want to identify others who are sharing a cruise with them. How do you envision that being done with the current organization?

Thanks again for organizing this.

-- roy --

Hi Roy,

I *believe* there will be a dedicated forum for Viking Oceans Roll Calls. I've suggested one be created for Viking Star. As soon as I hear from our Community Manager, I will report back.

Welcome Aboard !

Hello Andy! Librarylady19 and I (and our respective husbands) are seriously looking into sailing on the Viking Star in April '15. You might be seeing a lot of us on this forum. It's very exciting!

Hi Everyone,

A special welcome to my friends from Celebrity, Azamara and other forums. Great to have you with us !

Actually the maiden voyage is in April, 2015, Venice to Istanbul. :)

Hi Carol,

I've just corrected that information in my initial post. In the Press Release http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/media/launch-new-ocean-cruise-line.aspx , it stated May 2015. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Kathy, like Andy we read the news release and thought the May, Viking Homelands voyage was the maiden, no worries... we still booked Viking Homelands, one of the maiden season voyages to be more correct. Host Andy is looking into helping Viking Oceans cruisers have their own roll call thread. In the meantime, have started a May 16 roll call (other cruise lines roll call thread, even tho for now miss named, hopefully Andy can change to just Viking Homelands May 16-May30) here below. Pls consider joining our thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846021

Hi Kathy, like Andy we read the news release and thought the May, Viking Homelands voyage was the maiden, no worries... we still booked Viking Homelands, one of the maiden season voyages to be more correct. Host Andy is looking into helping Viking Oceans cruisers have their own roll call thread. In the meantime, have started a May 16 roll call (other cruise lines roll call thread, even tho for now miss named, hopefully Andy can change to just Viking Homelands May 16-May30) here below. Pls consider joining our thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846021

Hi Col Wes,

I've made the changes. If & when Viking has a dedicated Roll Call Forum, I will be happy to move the thread. Please advise if the retitle works for you.

Hi Andy,

Looks good thank you, could you add the following to the title

Viking Star Maiden Season: Viking Homelands Voyage (May 16-30, 2015)

Hi Everyone,

A special welcome to my friends from Celebrity, Azamara and other forums. Great to have you with us !

Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting info on the Azamara board last week about Viking Oceans, and I'm glad to see you're hosting here as well! I have to admit, I've already spent a good bit of time on the Viking Oceans website. The first ship really looks like it will be a great one to experience.

Doug

I must admit river cruising never crossed our minds until reading about Viking and now we may have to add that to the list of things we want to do as well as a Viking Oceans cruise! :)

Kikki21, we were following the same path as you (river cruising did not enter our cruise dance card planning have lived (thus visited the major European cities, have been to over a dozen Christmas markets) in Europe over ten/30+ years of our military careers) but taking a Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise (Silversea, Azamara) in 2015 then

boarding the Viking Imperieal for the 15 day China river cruise/land trip--is our goal.

Hi Colonel Wes

I am thinking of booking the Istanbul to Barcelona cruise in April & have our Australian travel agent chasing it up. Can you explain the referral system for Viking, I can't find any information on it.

Thanks

Caroline

Hi Caroline, pls call me Wes.

Below is the base info on the Viking Referral program taking from their River cruise website (if you put referral in the search block of the Vikings Ocean website, a link to the below info will be provided under Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Most importantly as mentioned above for brand new Viking Oceans guests, they can refer guests if they have a paid deposit (booking#) and filled out their passenger information form on the Viking website.

Viking Referral Rewards

Travel is one of life’s great treasures—and sharing it with others increases its value in so many ways. Recommend a river or ocean journey with Viking Cruises to a friend, family member, neighbor or colleague and you can both reap the rewards.

Referring new travelers is simple

Recommending Viking is easy, as there is something for everyone. Whether you prefer to travel on your own, with family members or with a few of your closest friends, Viking provides a safe, comfortable environment where you can relax and focus on discovering the world you’ve come to see. Stateroom arrangements on our river ships are flexible, with beds that can be set up in twin or double configuration. In our open-seating dining rooms, you can spend time with old friends at every meal or sit with new people—a great way to meet like-minded people and future traveling companions.

You receive $100 travel credit

...for each new traveler you refer—that is $200 for each referred couple. Your credits are valid on reservations made within 12 months from date of issue.

Earn a free cruise

...when you refer your 13th friend within a calendar year! See details below.

Viking Referral Rewards Levels

Level 1

New travelers referred: 1-12

Credits for each new traveler: $100

Level 2

New travelers referred: 13

Travel bonus: one free river cruise valued up to $3,300

Once you have received Referral Rewards for 13 new travelers within a given cruise season (a value of up to $4,500), your count resets to zero and you can start earning Level 1 benefits again right away.

Each referred person saves

...$100 per person on their first trip.

How does the program work?

Tell your friends about Viking River Cruises, and give them your customer number. When they call to book their trip, they tell us your name and customer number; you receive your Referral Reward, and they receive a $100 credit on their first trip on the spot.

Click Viking referral rewards to view detailed information about eligibility and restrictions.

Also here is the link for detailing info:

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/vikingreferralrewards.pdf

The opportunity to travel is just awesome, I'm sure I was a gypsy in a former life! :)

I can see a Western Med itinerary in our future in 2015 so the Med Odyssey looks good but I am a bit obsessed with the Eastern Med and seem to need a regular fix of going there and we are a big fan of Istanbul too! :)

What do you think the average age will be on the ship? We did a Oceania cruise to the Med and loved it but the shore excursions were with some older folks with walking difficulties. We have also done a river boat trip in Europe but the average age was younger. I am wondering how the excursions will be handled with the passengers? We are considering the Baltic in May or July.