How long to spend at Mendenhall glacier?

illiniwahoo

I'm trying to plan my time in Juneau, and I'm having a difficult time determining how long we need to spend at mendenhall. Many of the whale watch and mendenhall combo tours seem to spend about an hour at mendenhall. Is that really enough time to get the best views of the glacier? Ive read the the nugget falls trail is about 25 minutes each way, so that doesnt seem feasible with only an hour. I'd love to spend longer there, but we are on the Solstice, so we don't get to Juneau until 130pm, then have to tender, so I'm worried about the logistics of getting to mendenhall and back in time to make a late day whale watching cruise.

How long were you at Mendenhall and how much did you get to see?

I'm trying to plan my time in Juneau, and I'm having a difficult time determining how long we need to spend at mendenhall. Many of the whale watch and mendenhall combo tours seem to spend about an hour at mendenhall. Is that really enough time to get the best views of the glacier? Ive read the the nugget falls trail is about 25 minutes each way, so that doesnt seem feasible with only an hour. I'd love to spend longer there, but we are on the Solstice, so we don't get to Juneau until 130pm, then have to tender, so I'm worried about the logistics of getting to mendenhall and back in time to make a late day whale watching cruise.

You need to decide what you actually want to do there. Many just walk to a viewing area, look at it for a while and then leave. Others want to see the visitor center. Others still want to hike the trail. So how can we give you an answer to how long without knowing what you want to do/see?

An hour is enough if you don't go into the Visitor Centre. Nugget Falls is just over a mile from the drop-off point so no more than 20 mins walk each way. Spend 10 minutes at the foot of the falls taking photos and perhaps the last 10 walking up to and back from the other photo point. Not ideal because I'm sure the VC is worth a look but certainly long enough to see the glacier and falls. The best views of the glacier are from the 'beach' at the foot of the falls, when you are closest to it (50 yards at a guess). This what we did, all the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

I want the best views of the glacier, and I'm not sure where those are from. We love hiking, but if the best views are from visitors center, I can be content with that.

I'm interested in how to get the best views (and how long it will take to get there). I'm also interested in people's personal experiences of how long they stayed and what they were able to see.

I want the best views of the glacier, and I'm not sure where those are from. We love hiking, but if the best views are from visitors center, I can be content with that.

I'm interested in how to get the best views (and how long it will take to get there). I'm also interested in people's personal experiences of how long they stayed and what they were able to see.

You probably don't really want my views then. I went once. Looked at it. Have never gone back. There are things that I go back to in Alaska over and over, this just isn't one of them. Now, Hubbard Glacier, on the other hand is spectacular! Also love Reed's Falls in Skagway. So what do I like in Juno, Alaska Brewing Co? Red Dog Salon?

Hi, we will be in Juneau in early Aug. We arrive at 2:00 pm and leave at 10 pm. I am doing a whale watch at 2:30 and being dropped off at Mendenhall about 6 pm. Since I don't know if I'll be able to make it back to ALASKA, I want to see as much as I can, so I want to go in the visitor center, see the video there, and then want to walk to Nugget Falls and see the glacier up close and I don't want to have to rush. The busses back to the port from Men...stop running about 6:30/7:00, so we won't be able to take them, so I am planning on taking my time at Mendenhall and calling a cab to get back to the port. Cost about $35, but going to have to bite the bullet so we can see whatever we want at Men... I figure I am paying that much for a cruise, I might as well see all that I can . 😀

I thought about seeing Men...first and do a whale watch at 6, with the whale watch "people" picking me up at Men...and then do the whale watch, which they said they can do. But decided to do Men... Last.

There are also city busses that you can take from Men..back to the port, but they are a mile plus from the visitor center to "catch" them.

From what I can tell you are going in May? You are taking a whale watch tour? Set that up with a Mendenhall DROP off. Be specific, you will find your own way back.

"Best" views I won't answer, as it varies, but "better" views could be considered closer which is going to be from the Nugget Falls trail. You need to allow at least an hour for this. The visitor center has an expansive view, with the Photo Point trail also being real nice. Have with you taxi numbers, then just call a cab for pick up about 30 minutes before you want to leave. This plan is superior, since you are there in May, where you have plenty of daylight and I am assuming you have around a 9pm departure?

Key is to go with a whale watch vendor, who has the Mendenhall drop off service. IF they don't then you can alternatively call a cab when you're coming back to the dock from your whale watch, and get there direct. You do NOT want to waste at least,an hour of transit time going back and forth to downtown Juneau.

We will have a rental car so time isn't an issue. We were going straight there say 19am does that work. Plan on visitors center and nugget falls. Have a question. Is the nugget falls hike easy? Can take long walks and mild hikes.

Thank you!

Hi, in my research, I have read several times that the walk from the visitor center to Nugget Falls is very nice and a comfortable walk of about 20/25 minutes each way. I have read where there are several trails that you can take from the visitor center, one of them taking you above the falls for a view, but that trail takes quite abit longer. Another trail takes you to a good "photo spot" for the glacier and falls, but have also read if you are walking to the the falls, don't bother taking the walk to the photo stop and go right to the falls. Never been there, just sharing some of what I have read.

Much help for me has been Budget Queen's advice.

Edited by knarf

The above trail mentioned above, the East Loop, is mostly wooded with very little Mendenhall view. It is a switchback, going up and up and up, then down multiple stairs. 3 miles.

Nugget Falls is gravel, and flat. about 2 miles round trip. In my opinion, this is not something, you should even consider doing if you don't invest extra time. I've seen those drop off people, running, taking a few photos at the end, then saying they better get back, as they turn, running back. :)

This is a place to enjoy the beauty and have the time to do so. Not have a nagging clock dictating your experience.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401520

.... I'd love to spend longer there, but we are on the Solstice, so we don't get to Juneau until 130pm, then have to tender, so I'm worried about the logistics of getting to mendenhall and back in time to make a late day whale watching cruise.

It varied and was different every time.

I would say to do the whale watching first and leave Mendenhall open ended. Depending on the weather and how you feel that day, you may want to spend more or less time there.

There are a number of hiking trails. At the least do the photo point trail and the easy hike out to the waterfall.

There are great sweeping views from up high at the visitor center, and they have telescopes up there that you can use for looking around.

The film and exhibits are worth a visit, and there is a gift shop. Restrooms are down below.

You may want more time there for a ranger presentation, or to hang around and watch the bears, if any are spotted the day you are there.

If you have a rental car, that is ideal because you can leave and move on at your own convenience whenever you are ready, and you can lock your stuff up in the car so you don't need to carry everything around with you.

Sometimes we have needed to bundle up in layers with gloves and hoods. Sometimes it has been sunny and too hot to even wear a jacket, which really surprised us, expecting it to be freezing cold by a glacier.

You probably don't really want my views then. I went once. Looked at it. Have never gone back. There are things that I go back to in Alaska over and over, this just isn't one of them. Now, Hubbard Glacier, on the other hand is spectacular! Also love Reed's Falls in Skagway. So what do I like in Juno, Alaska Brewing Co? Red Dog Salon?

We all have our own preferences. Everyone's view is worthwhile.

Here is a link to some

nugget falls photos

We saw children playing around in the water right under the waterfall.

I would rather spend more time viewing scenes like these than at a brewing company or saloon, even though I have done that as well.

But different strokes......

Edited by varoo

Hi, we will be in Juneau in early Aug. We arrive at 2:00 pm and leave at 10 pm. I am doing a whale watch at 2:30 and being dropped off at Mendenhall about 6 pm. Since I don't know if I'll be able to make it back to ALASKA, I want to see as much as I can, so I want to go in the visitor center, see the video there, and then want to walk to Nugget Falls and see the glacier up close and I don't want to have to rush. The busses back to the port from Men...stop running about 6:30/7:00, so we won't be able to take them, so I am planning on taking my time at Mendenhall and calling a cab to get back to the port. Cost about $35, but going to have to bite the bullet so we can see whatever we want at Men... I figure I am paying that much for a cruise, I might as well see all that I can .

I thought about seeing Men...first and do a whale watch at 6, with the whale watch "people" picking me up at Men...and then do the whale watch, which they said they can do. But decided to do Men... Last.

There are also city busses that you can take from Men..back to the port, but they are a mile plus from the visitor center to "catch" them.

For those who wish to try the city bus, the walk is up hill going and of coarse down hill back.

We were there about 2 hours. The Visitor's Center was extremely crowded. We basically went in one door and shuffled our way through and out the door on the other side of the building. Couldn't tell you if there was anything of value there or not, unfortunately. There was a nice view of the glacier, but it only made me want to get closer by walking the trail laid out in front of you.

Nugget Falls and the glacier were the reasons we were there and getting to them was a very pleasant experience. The trail was peaceful and easy to do and the waterfall and the glacier were amazing. We will definitely aim to repeat that hike and to spend even more time on the connecting trails in the area.

Although you could quite quickly walk the distance from the VC to Nugget Falls, I think you'd miss out on the little things, like the beautiful sand and the pebbles we admired, standing in the spray of the waterfall, and seeing the plaque for the wolf on one of the boulders - I bet a lot of people miss it. It was a very special place for me.

Two hours was not enough time for us, so we're going back. Maybe the VC will be less crowded this time - who knows?

I love the Nugget falls trail and agree it's a rush to do everything in one hour. I was quick and made it to Photo Point too with a bear on the one side of Photo point.

If I had to do it again.... I would like quit the combo Whale tour at Mendenhal and then catch one of the Mendenhal shuttles back to enjoy the trails.

Would it be best to just take the Shuttle, I believe it is $20 return to get to Mendenhall? We want to do this when we are in Juneau and trying to avoid any cruise ship excursions if possible.... were you doing the whale watching on your own as well?

Thanks

Angela

Would it be best to just take the Shuttle, I believe it is $20 return to get to Mendenhall? We want to do this when we are in Juneau and trying to avoid any cruise ship excursions if possible.... were you doing the whale watching on your own as well?

Thanks

Angela

There is no "best". :) It depends on the person and WHAT they wish to spend their time on.

The OP may be taking a whale watch, which "best" is always cobooking with a direct drop off/pick up between the two tours.

The shuttle buses stop running 6/7pm, so a cab is the "best" option if you have a late port time and the interest in staying at Mendenhall.

IF you are just going to Mendenhall- then "best" could be a rental car, which opens up a whole lot of extra stops, simple to add. Without mobility limitations- easy walk to Avis at the Gold Belt.

And the reliable long time Mendenhall shuttle buses, run about every 30 minutes with peak amount of riders. Can be once per hour off ship number days, times.

Do you know if there are parking issues at Mendenhall Glacier? It looks like the day that we are there, there are 3 ships in port. It's about $60 for the day to rent the car so we are trying to decide whether or not to rent a car or just take the shuttle buses.

We are in port from 6:30am - 4pm.

Thanks

Angela

Do you know if there are parking issues at Mendenhall Glacier? It looks like the day that we are there, there are 3 ships in port. It's about $60 for the day to rent the car so we are trying to decide whether or not to rent a car or just take the shuttle buses.

Thanks

Angela

There is public parking at Mendenhall. Avis opens at 8am.

Thanks

Angela

Angela, Are you going to be in Grand Princess. We are and have exactly the same time as your time in port.

I am also looking for info on how long to spend in Mendenhall and if I can still fit in a wwhale watching itinerary given that we arrive and leave Juneau early.

Angela, Are you going to be in Grand Princess. We are and have exactly the same time as your time in port.

I am also looking for info on how long to spend in Mendenhall and if I can still fit in a wwhale watching itinerary given that we arrive and leave Juneau early.

e-mail the whale watch tour operators for times and prices for the day you are in port.

e-mail the whale watch tour operators for times and prices for the day you are in port.

Or call.

Be specific- disclose your ship and port time, and the interest in a DIRECT transfer between the whale watch and Mendenhall.

With short port times- don't dismiss transferring on your own- via taxi- if needed.

We had a 1pm dock, did whale watch and glacier combo. We were dropped off after the whale tour and pretty much found Mendenhall deserted as the bus had stopped.

How much time is personal, we had plenty of time for a brisk walk to the falls and back, YMMV. For us it was enough time to see the views, get a walk in, but for us the weather was great and you should plan for rain worst case.

As to views, here are a few snapshots we got.

2141135772_500MendenhallGlacier.jpg.e9d63b5c93a8b5bd87a838979e37eac9.jpg

1095228069_515MendenhallGlacier.jpg.e31faabef516f6b0358fc98a7b043cf1.jpg

1818534218_520MendenhallGlacier.jpg.f4b434e20d0a7509f8b3820da7150ced.jpg

544195425_528SkippingrocksonMendenhallLake.jpg.e8944c3b61424f70f3ab14bbbf88a101.jpg

1331831844_534MendenhallFalls.jpg.f25d8a8d6150cccc95e6359de6ee25d0.jpg