VOOM Roll Call

Just remember before you add a ship to the list ..... just because RCI SAYS that you are booking something called Voom does not mean that you are necessarily getting the expected Voom speed. I would not add a ship to this list until someone has actually been on the ship and tested the speed. Seems to me that RCI is calling all internet on their ships Voom, but as of yet, have not installed the Voom hardware and software to bring the speeds up to the level that is on Oasis/Allure etc.

Just remember before you add a ship to the list ..... just because RCI SAYS that you are booking something called Voom does not mean that you are necessarily getting the expected Voom speed. I would not add a ship to this list until someone has actually been on the ship and tested the speed. Seems to me that RCI is calling all internet on their ships Voom, but as of yet, have not installed the Voom hardware and software to bring the speeds up to the level that is on Oasis/Allure etc.

I agree. I should have made myself clearer. Only passengers that have been onboard and confirmed high speed Voom service should add the ship's name to the list. Thank you.

DrB

Only passengers that have been onboard and confirmed high speed Voom service ......

.....with an actual speed test (1 MBs+ download speed) - not some "it was quick for me" feeling or WiFi calling works so it must be real Voom.

On Ovation's first cruise I did a few speed tests.

0.50 down and 0.25 up. 188 ping.

Hardly voom-y. Could be the satellite position as we were too far north.

However even with those speeds I was able to Skype my family in Australia and upload regularly to FB and CC.

I'm on her again tomorrow and will test the speeds as we move down to Spain.

On Ovation's first cruise I did a few speed tests.

0.50 down and 0.25 up. 188 ping.

Hardly voom-y. Could be the satellite position as we were too far north.

However even with those speeds I was able to Skype my family in Australia and upload regularly to FB and CC.

When you say you were able to Skype, do you mean video or just audio?

That would be very interesting to confirm how much the speed drop off is and where it happens. Once a day test should be enough.

When you say you were able to Skype, do you mean video or just audio?

Both - it did keep freezing but I managed to show them round the ship

That would be very interesting to confirm how much the speed drop off is and where it happens. Once a day test should be enough.

LOL- will you contribute to my internet costs!:cool:

I'll have Vroom on the Oasis as apart of a promotion they were running when I booked (along wit obc). I'll be great to log into the houses security system to view the camera, and also check/view the dog at the "pet resort." Social media, emails and the news can wait til I get back!!!

Radiance is in a 2 week refurbishment. Should have it when they start Alaska sailings.

If no one posts before 5/27, I will. [emoji846]

Edited by barbeyg

Not sure if Voom will be available for Alaska itineraries. The o3bnetwork website says standard service is not available above 45deg latitude. It's kinda cool how this technology works. The satellite beam actually tracks the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Confirmed from Matt, at a certain blog, whom is aboard Navigator this week, that voom is NOT installed or ready. I repeat, NOT on Navigator. Another bait scheme from Royal :mad:

Edited by Powersboyee2

Is is me but does anyone else find it annoying that Rccl is advertising this fleet wide and it is not available.

Yeah, pretty sad. Can't say surprising though, considering the way they have been treating us as of late.:eek:

Is is me but does anyone else find it annoying that Rccl is advertising this fleet wide and it is not available.

If I had not been dealing with Royal for years, I might be annoyed. Now I know it's their SOP.

Not sure if Voom will be available for Alaska itineraries. The o3bnetwork website says standard service is not available above 45deg latitude. It's kinda cool how this technology works. The satellite beam actually tracks the ship.

Not quite - the 'beam' is 700km wide at the surface of the Earth. I don't know if O3b are planning to put any in that region - depends how much RCI want to pay and if they have other customers, I guess. They do say they can offer some service up to 62deg.

I have not seen anywhere that RCI has definitely said Voom equates to O3b service, of course.....

There is a comment on the sticky thread about Voom that it is not on Explorer, currently in the Pacific.

They do say they can offer some service up to 62deg.

I have not seen anywhere that RCI has definitely said Voom equates to O3b service, of course.....

We will likely never know if the ship is on O3B or the older satellite service when north of 45 deg latitude. I assume that when the O3B speed drops enough (somewhere between 45 and 62 deg latitude), the Internet service will switch to the older system. So Baltic, Norther Europe, Alaska, round the Horn cruises will never have full speed Voom. Voom is just a marketing term - for the ships that have the hardware to support it and are in the correct position on earth, that will mean an O3B connection.

They are selling it, so we will see. You know what that means. They either have it or will sell the clunker as VOOM. lol

Hopefully so, just so I can get wifi-calling if my assistant freaks out over something. [emoji846]. Or at least text me. I'm not paying for the international calling.

Edited by barbeyg

We will likely never know if the ship is on O3B or the older satellite service when north of 45 deg latitude. I assume that when the O3B speed drops enough (somewhere between 45 and 62 deg latitude), the Internet service will switch to the older system. So Baltic, Norther Europe, Alaska, round the Horn cruises will never have full speed Voom. Voom is just a marketing term - for the ships that have the hardware to support it and are in the correct position on earth, that will mean an O3B connection.

If we start keeping track, we might be able to know by external IP address.