Gem Sail Away Question

Duddy

We're new to NCL but have sailed the last few years on RCL and Carnival. We're considering the holiday cruise 2017 on the Gem and was wondering about the timing of the Muster Drill vs Sail Away.

I've sailed out of NYC many times and the sail-away is a sight, not to be missed! My recent experience, however, is that the muster drill begins about the same time as sail away and unfortunately we are forced to miss most of the sights. Further, the larger the ships (with more passengers), the longer the drill :(

Can any tell me their experiences on NCL, specifically the GEM out of NYC?

Thanks!

~Bob~

We're new to NCL but have sailed the last few years on RCL and Carnival. We're considering the holiday cruise 2017 on the Gem and was wondering about the timing of the Muster Drill vs Sail Away.

I've sailed out of NYC many times and the sail-away is a sight, not to be missed! My recent experience, however, is that the muster drill begins about the same time as sail away and unfortunately we are forced to miss most of the sights. Further, the larger the ships (with more passengers), the longer the drill :(

Thanks!

~Bob~

You will be out of the muster drill venue well before sailaway...NCL has the "easiest" muster drill in my opinion. You don't have to bring the life jacket with you and you don't have to stand outside under the lifeboats - you will be assigned a venue (according to your cabin location)... such as the theater or atrium or Italian restaurant ;) and will simply go there & watch & listen ;)

for a 4pm departure time, muster drill is usually around 3/330

Thanks for the fast reply! I assume the drill will only take about 30-45 minutes since, according to some research I've done, the sail-away party is at 4:15pm?

~Bob~

You will be out of the muster drill venue well before sailaway...NCL has the "easiest" muster drill in my opinion. You don't have to bring the life jacket with you and you don't have to stand outside under the lifeboats - you will be assigned a venue (according to your cabin location)... such as the theater or atrium or Italian restaurant ;) and will simply go there & watch & listen ;)

That was the answer I was hoping to hear!

Our muster drill on the Allure (departing in Ft Lauderdale), was the worst ever :mad: It was at the same time as departure and went on forever. We had almost 6000 passengers. We were almost out to the ocean by the time I arrived on deck. Ended up with one picture and no sail-away experience to speak of.

I would have actually rather been on deck, pressed up against the bulkhead, wearing my awkward life jacket like back in the "old days"

~Bob~

We've sailed on Jewel class ships four times out of NY; the muster drill has never interfered with sailaway.

If anything, last Feb. on the Gem, NCL did not take the drill seriously at all. People at our muster station were talking so loudly through the whole thing that none of the NCL announcements could be heard. At no time did any NCL representative tell people to be quiet or pay attention. While many people are veteran cruisers, many (including some at our table) are first timers. It was such an appalling mess that I spoke to the Security Officer afterwards; never had to do anything like that before on any ship.

As others noted, NCL's mandatory muster drill is easy, typically over in 10 minutes, 15 min. max (if ever) once it's underway. Typically 30 minutes before scheduled sailaway time, whether it's 2:30 PM for 3 PM or 3:30 PM for 4 PM sailing - all guests are asked to NOT bring their life jackets to the designated assembly station, but - make sure you bring your guest key cards to be scanned for attendance. Folks familiar or learn the location often get there early for the prime spot (seating or nearest to exit route ... upon dismissal) to get ready. It has very little to do with the size of the ship or the crowds, what matters is everyone for your designated lifeboat are accounted for and everyone promptly reporting so that they can begin.

It does take a little while (i.e 2:45 or 3:45 PM) for the crowds to disperse upon announced conclusion of the drill. As for the sailaway, it takes a few minutes for the ship to back out into the middle of the middle of the Hudson River & go from reverse to forward, then down the river toward SOL - typically about 30 minutes after the ship began moving backyward. Thus, you have about 45 minutes from end of the drill to getting to your favorite "spot" for viewing ... starboard side, one's own balcony or top/open deck (#12 for the GEM) or deck 7 along the Promenade, underneath the lifeboats. It takes about 45 to 60 minutes to sail under the VZ Bridge, before heading out to sea & away from land.

We've sailed out of MCT and/or out of NY harbor about 10X in almost 20 years, mostly with NCL and never once missed the scenic views sailing down the Hudson, Lower Manhattan shorelines, Freedom Tower (WTC before ... then) - SOL and under the VZB. Nothing to worry about - dressed accordingly, in layers if necessary, as it can get windy staying outside (not just chilly) - hats, gloves & scarves, etc. to go along ... seasonally.

We did the GEM in 2012 and booked on her this late Spring ... with a smaller crowd, maybe 2,200 or 2,300 pax - you will be fine. Once you get onboard, study the layout of the ship, the stairs & pick out your route options to get to your desired viewing location (elevators will always be crowded when the drills are done & everyone dismissed ... take the stairs if you can :D )

and the Statute of Liberty, which are not to be missed sights, get a table at the bar at the end of the ship. I believe it is bar on the 12th deck.

Get a drink and behold the sights. You can get great camera and video shots.

Most, probably, 95 percent of the passengers will be standing in crowds at the front of the ship.

Also, your Edocs state that boarding is at 12 noon. Get there at that time and get a waitered lunch in one of the Main dining restaurants. That lunch closes usually at 2 pm. Most again that 95 percent of the passengers will do the buffet at pool side.Crowded lines and hamburgers and frankfurters are the usual there which does not provide for a nice, relaxed lunch time experience.

Thanks!

~Bob~

We just sailed the gem on the 19th. You will have plenty of time to get where you want to be after the drill. The problem is that it was dark when we went under Verizano bridge so not the same view as sailing at summer. Get a camera that takes good pics in the dark.

We've sailed on Jewel class ships four times out of NY; the muster drill has never interfered with sailaway.

If anything, last Feb. on the Gem, NCL did not take the drill seriously at all. People at our muster station were talking so loudly through the whole thing that none of the NCL announcements could be heard. At no time did any NCL representative tell people to be quiet or pay attention. While many people are veteran cruisers, many (including some at our table) are first timers. It was such an appalling mess that I spoke to the Security Officer afterwards; never had to do anything like that before on any ship.

We've actually found that too. The last few cruises were all the same way. Most people were loud and rude. Perhaps it is just the way people are today. Perhaps because so many were crammed into such a tight space. Maybe because the drills lasted so long on RCL. Who knows. :confused:

Thanks mking8288 for the tips! I do take pictures and really enjoy the whole sail-away experience. I will park by butt near an exit if I can and plan my "escape" route to the deck ;)

Thanks everyone!

~Bob~

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the info, is the bar at the front or back of the ship ?

The poster was referring to the Great Outdoors which is on deck 12 aft. There's a bar and lots of tables, many shaded. It's a favorite spot on the Gem.

We were on the Gem for the August 12th sailing and during sail away they called everyone down for the Muster. I was so disappointed. The main reason I booked out of NYC was to see the Statue of Liberty and to go under the bridge. Unfortunately we were running down the end of the Gem to catch a glimpse of the Statue to get a quick pic. There were rumors that people boarded the ship late and that was the reason so obviously not a regular occurance but a huge bummer.

I sailed the Gem from San Juan to NYC last December. Even with that total debacle of an embarkation (lines to drop off luggage were over 90+ minutes), we completed the drill well in advance of sail away during the sunset over San Juan Bay.

We were on the Gem for the August 12th sailing and during sail away they called everyone down for the Muster. I was so disappointed. The main reason I booked out of NYC was to see the Statue of Liberty and to go under the bridge. Unfortunately we were running down the end of the Gem to catch a glimpse of the Statue to get a quick pic. There were rumors that people boarded the ship late and that was the reason so obviously not a regular occurance but a huge bummer.

Yes, it's a bummer that the ship always has to wait for the folks that booked their travel arrangements through NCL and are running late. (Another reason not to book through them.)

But......wink wink;p nod nod :cool:.........If you're desperate for a sail-away photo opp you can miss the muster drill and do a make-up later.....sometimes the next day. (Just don't spread that around. There may be a mutiny.)

Yes, it's a bummer that the ship always has to wait for the folks that booked their travel arrangements through NCL and are running late. (Another reason not to book through them.)

But......wink wink;p nod nod :cool:.........If you're desperate for a sail-away photo opp you can miss the muster drill and do a make-up later.....sometimes the next day. (Just don't spread that around. There may be a mutiny.)

Yes, people that missed the first muster drill must make-up the next day or else they would be off the ship (which was mentioned, but I do not know if this is really true?) :confused:. Most first timers that are new to cruising would attend the first muster drill including those that follow the rule. ;p

Ok this explains when I saw people going in for a "makeup" drill. We were up on the top deck and the staff pushed us all along having us go downstairs. My husband told me to just avoid it but I'm one of those rule followers!LOL Thanks for the tip though. My next cruise is out of Boston so I'm no so concerned on missing anything since I live here. It was pretty funny seeing me running down the ship with my IPhone trying to get the pic though.:D

We sailed the Gem in late April, our muster station was Deck 6 midship @ Malting's Bar, next to Shaker's Bar, just behind Magnum's Bar ... started the drill's demonstration around 3:30 PM as scheduled, more or less - waiting & taking attendance took more time.

Unlike the Breakaway with the digital, handheld scan - crews used the old fashion method, clipboards & checkmark on who attended & who missed it. It was over in about 10 minutes once the safety demo on how to put on the life vest concluded & everyone got dismissed. Plenty of time to get to whatever - took the stairs (elevators too crowded) - went back to our stateroom on deck 8 briefly - DW resumed her unpacking as our checked bags had already been delivered)

Walk down to the Promenade - Deck 7, Fwd as we had left the pier & began backing out already for the turnaround - absolutely uncrowded, almost empty & watched the sailing down the Hudson River (on either side.) There might be half a dozen pax as we sailed past Ellis Island & turn toward Statue of Liberty - been on the top, open deck ... way too many times, over the years.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what day the main headliner shows performing and the gym the week of October 14? I was told by NCL that there are four shows and that they are at 8 PM and 10 PM but didn't know which days they will be playing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there and any themed nights on the Christmas sailing . Where can I find this information .

Do people dress up for Christmas and the new year.

It's my first time to sail from America and I have lots of questions ,

Are there lots of children on board and is Santa also on board.

Any presents for us? We have been very good this year.

Any religious services .